sugar and processed food effect in toddlers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, i've been in an ongoing struggle with some people in this household about food.  It is very important to me to include whole foods/veggies in every meal.  I eat minimal processed food, and work hard to make sure our 2 1/2 year old DD is well-nourished.

Some background-- BIL lives with us (and has been around on-and-off for about a year and half) and his ideas are apparently different from mine.  He really doesn't take care of himself nutritionally...won't even touch the chard I make.  I'm pregnant with number two and have been needing a bit of down-time.  DD is energetic, and it's hard to keep up in the last trimester so I appreciate BIL's watching DD here and there.  But the problem is that he keeps feeding her boxed mac and cheese, eggs, and LOTS of donuts.  And I have been constantly reminding him.  It's exhausting.

We've been on a nutritional rollercoaster with DD.  Her gut balance is whacked right now, especially after being sick with a stomach bug a few weeks ago.  Now the ONLY things she will touch are white food.  BIL will cook anything DD wants, and they're all cheese, cream, and sugary foods.  What I've noticed is that when we have a few weeks of just DH/me/DD, she will start eating her veggies because that's just what we eat and offer for every meal.  Now that BIL is around, she is refusing to eat meals I cook--she won't even look, try, or touch them.  It's so frustrating.  We are battling pinworms in DD, she has dark circles under her eyes, and has a hard time sleeping.

I've repeatedly told BIL about sugar and how toddlers (or anyone) just do NOT need them.  Now he's just sneaking in donuts behind my back.

Does anyone have any links or articles about toddlers and the value of nutrition?  Any about the effect of sugar and processed food in little bodies?  I've been telling BIL and DH, but they just don't see the effect of them in children (or adults) since they come from a family big on sweet tooth and vices.  I've been called overprotective and arrogant, but I think if I can present facts and that it's harming DD's health, he would back off.  Help a mama out... I need a break, but want everyone in the house to understand the amazing powers and values of nutrition without me having to police everyone.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page