frosting recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm looking for a frosting recipe that will work well for piping on a cake.  I'm not expecting super-healthy; it's frosting after all!  I've done cream cheese before with just a tiny bit of sugar and vanilla, but it dried and cracked by the next morning and I had to redo it.  Powdered sugar frosting isn't stable enough; it always melts everywhere.  I'm not a big fan of buttercream; it's so sweet and can get melty.  I'm looking for pretty little details that will stay.  But I'm not sure what to try next.  Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When piping details, you basically have two choices: buttercream and royal icing.

There are five types of buttercream: French, Italian, Swiss, German, and American/fake.  I say 'fake' because it uses powdered sugar...

I usually make Italian buttercream, the most common - hot sugar syrup is beat into whipped egg whites, then whipped until cool, then butter is blended in.  If you leave out the vanilla, it's pure white, easy to pipe, and not too tricky to make.  It's also not too sweet (due to copious amounts of butter) and unless your house is above 80*, it's not going to melt.  You can use it for both frosting the cake and piping.  It will stay soft and fluffy at room temp but firm in the fridge.

Royal icing uses egg whites and powdered sugar and doesn't taste great, but it looks beautiful when intricately piped.  It sets up hard. 

For Italian Buttercream, I can recommend this recipe from Finecooking, but prefer the CIA recipe since it doesn't use corn syrup.

Another option is a stiff chocolate ganache.

#3 of 4 Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

the only thing I would add to the PP(who gave you good suggestions) is "whipped cream frosting" (again with some powered sugar added) and would be best done right when you plan to serve it and keep refrigerated 

most are best done right before you plan to serve (too far a head and not properly kept can cause cracking)- when you did the cream cheese you kept it chilled-correct?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Personally I have had the best luck with piping on a cake with shortening based icing. 

http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/2011/07/pink-rose-cake.html

I have nothing but trouble with Italian Buttercream. I love the flavor, but it is always a melty mess for me. I live in CA, so maybe it is too warm when I try it. The one above worked great at dd's birthday- in mid July. It tastes good, not too sweet, and I piped it on the cake, cupcakes and cookies. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page