Does my child need grains? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My son has been recently tested for celiac (no results yet) and I've had him on a gluten-free diet for about 2 weeks. His symptoms are improving, which is the good news, but what I'm curious about is if he needs grains? He naturally chooses starchy fruits and vegetable-based carbs (but likes sugary foods) and really doesn't care much for grains or breads (unless there's cinnamon sugar on it). Sooo...looking at the label of the bread, doesn't look that healthy to me, and I'm inclined not to have him eat it, and he doesn't love brown rice much or other whole grains. However, I learned growing up that I needed a grain to make a complete protein. He likes sweet potatoes. Does that grain rule hold true?

TIA.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#2 of 7 Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No. He doesn't need grains. Remember the old food pyramid that said something like you need 10 servings of grains a day. How fat would I be if I ate that much grain? (Do you smell a connection between some grain lobby and that food pyramid?)

Can he do nuts? www.elanaspantry.com has great recipes using almond and coconut flours.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree, grains are definitely not necessary. By removing grains, there will be more room for more nutritious foods. I removed them from my diet over a year ago, and I'm the healthiest and happiest I've ever been.

#4 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Then what's the story of complete protein? Is that a myth also? Thanks for the link--I love it!

#5 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

Then what's the story of complete protein? Is that a myth also? 

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-paleo-diet/

http://happyherbivore.com/2010/12/vegan-paleo/

http://paleosecrets.com/vegetarian-paleo-diet/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, he doesn't need grain at all.  As for the "complete protein" thing - is he vegetarian?  Vegan?  If he's eating eggs or meat then it's not even something to think about.  The complete protein thing only ever applied to people who were trying to get their protein from vegetable sources, although it has been debunked regardless.

The links SundayCrepes posted didn't clarify it for me though, but this one did: http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html  Particularly the chart near the top of the page that shows amino acid content of vegetables. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

duh.gif I was thinking that because of the vegetarian thing. I used to be vegetarian, and I got dogged all the time about complete proteins. Forgot meat was complete. He sure eats meat. Thank you so much for the links and the answers. :)

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page