Food Dye Alternatives? - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > Food Dye Alternatives?
sammyloo's Avatar sammyloo 08:38 AM 02-25-2012

I have been surfing the internets and cannot find a reasonable alternative for food dye. My children have celiac and can't have gluten. There is a cake that is layered rainbow cake that sits in a bakery near their school and it is destroying my son that he can't have it - I am trying so hard to find a way to copy it. I am trying to figure out how to dye/color the cake different colors without using food dye (this is actually gluten free for some brands, but it seems so unhealthy). Does anyone know how to color the cake without using food dye? What is an alternative? Anyone try making a gluten free rainbow cake before? Thanks for any ideas! I can find gluten free boxed mixes for chocolate and vanilla (white and brown), but I have no alternatives for any other colors.

rubyjune's Avatar rubyjune 10:10 AM 02-25-2012

squirrels nest

I think the baking supplies section has natural colors :) My DD has allergies to food dyes, and I found this site, although I have never actually ordered from them.

serenbat's Avatar serenbat 03:55 PM 02-25-2012

there are a few things you can add - if you are making it from scratch all the better as you may need to tweek the dry and wet to get it right, a few things - saffron is great (but you will get taste-I love it) turmeric also and will give you a difference in shades and not much flavor, juices as well- fresh carrot, a dark grape, blueberries (frozen work best for getting the juice) and raspberries too (again frozen is good for just collecting juice) and both blueberries and raspberries will give you a different shade, prune will also give you a dark purplish - green and a true blue are a bit harder to make and not add a "flavor" -

add the "liquid" and adjust the dry and it should work out

if you want to make a rainbow a bundt pan works great and they come out really fun looking-google it- we always make it for St. Patty's day with white frosting (or whip cream)

MarciaD's Avatar MarciaD 04:52 PM 02-25-2012

Squirrels Nest is a good resource.

India Tree makes natural dyes (and unnatural so be careful). You can find them at Whole Foods I think.

SundayCrepes's Avatar SundayCrepes 10:06 PM 02-25-2012

Frozen blackberries also work. Kind of pinkish coloring. 

Have you made the recipes at www.elanaspantry.com? Almond flour is the best.

Tags: Nutrition Good Eating
Up