supplements - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that supplements can be very valuable to your health if you don't always have access to the best food. I also know that you should pick high-quality supplements. unfortunately, i am extremely low-income and I am wondering if it is better to supplement vitamin d, magnesium, etc. with something I can afford like nature's bounty or store brand or if they are just a complete waste of time and it would be better not to supplement at all.

thanks!

sorry the shift button on my computer is sometimey...

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#2 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I find iherb.com to be a wonderful bargain on quality supplements. You can also read all the ingredients, and the reviews people leave about the products as well.

Madelyn'sMom likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 6 Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM

The problem with cheap supplements is the added fillers, colors, etc....and they also use cheaper ingredients, which your body may or may not be able to utilize.  I would do what the above person said about getting a higher quality supplement online from places like iherb, Vitacost, etc...

Pure Essence Labs makes a good, inexpensive multi called, Life Essence, that I recommend to people.  Cod liver oil, or Vitamin D is very important too, so I would take it regularly. 

Becky

www.getpurevitality.com

#4 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

If you are low income, I would look for one good supplement that will really work for you. The most expensive supplement is the one that doesn't work. I prefer vitamins that are food source, as we are taking them to supplement the deficiencies in a diet, right? I think low cost synthetic supplements give us expensive pee, as we pee most of them out. Look for a great sale price on a brand like New Chapter, or Megafood. On Amazon or iHerb you can get this close to wholesale, and they really work. Organic, food source etc. 

#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I've found the best deals on good supps on Amazon, and for a lot of them they have subscribe and save where you save 15% and you can cancel at any time.  I like Garden of Life brand.  I believe that all synthetic supps are a complete waste of time.  As long as you get lots of sunshine on your skin in the middle of the day you probably dont need any extra D.  If you eat things like grass-fed organically raised (not necessarily certified organic) liver, raw milk kefir, fresh fruits and veggies, and make sure you soak your grains if you eat grains, then you can probably skip the supplements.  You will also get some D from the liver and pastured, grass fed milk and (fresh) kefir.

Here's some info on supplements to maybe help you decide 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/28/half-of-americans-use-supplements.aspx

http://www.organicconsumers.org/nutricon.cfm

#6 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Vitacost.com has some pretty good deals on supplements. We get our main whole foods multi-vitamin (Nature's Way Alive!) from Amazon subscribe and save for a pretty good price. Whatever you do, don't pick up the junk at Wal-mart unless you really look into it. Some of it would probably do more harm than good!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page