Going vegetarian when eating out. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Has anyone done this? Was it a hard habit to break?

We raise all our own meat and eggs along with a lot of other food we eat and I keep wanting to do this out of food safety concerns, humanely-treated-animals concerns, and general health concerns.

Any info or input is appreciated.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not a vegetarian as I eat fish and 5% of the time chicken and 0% red meat.  I don't find it difficult and eating out is not hard.  We generally avoid most fast food places though.  BBQ and heavy on the meat places can get tricky but they usually do have big baked potatoes and salads.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

I am vegetarian, but I did this initially myself out of those same reasons for several years (only we didn't raise our own foodstuffs, etc.).  

You are kinda limited in some situations, but it's really workable in most cases.  You'll get a feel for which kinds of places you get a more satisfying vegetarian meal (ie. I favor ethnic places and eating out for breakfast over a traditional deli.)  

If you're doing it with reasoning, it'll become habit easily enough, IMO.  And make it flexible, like a 'we generally eat vegetarian when we're out' as opposed to 'we have to. . .'.  As important as your concerns are about your food and your choices about it, eating is fun and should satisfy what you want too.       

#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I've been usually eating vegetarian in restaurants for the past 10 years.  There are some that make it difficult to find anything to order or anything that has protein, but in general it's not so hard.  What worked for me was just deciding to do it (we gave up all meat, including fish, for Lent) and thus forcing myself to seek out the veg options on menus.

In diner-type restaurants, I usually get a "breakfast" meal with eggs--but of course eggs often are factory farmed, too....

I second the recommendation of "ethnic" restaurants i.e. Chinese, Indian, Mexican--they usually have tasty veg options.  Panera has a good selection of veg soups.  "Hippie coffeehouse" type places often have hummus, baked tofu wraps, and such.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM

I used to do this. Now I favor places that use local/sustainable products, wild cought fish, etc. I still often eat veg in restaurants because of the same reasons you posted! But my area has a ton of great restaurants that serve pastured, local meat options so we go there mainly.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page