I'm exhausted and therefore eating way to much sugar and ready-made junk food to cope - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Oh my gosh, I remember those days.  I had to eat ALL.THE.TIME. and usually with one hand!!  I so get it!  It was 6 months before I could go grocery shopping w/o buying a chocolate bar to eat on the way home.  In retrospect I realize I needed the calories.  Without trying (and with eating ALL THE TIME) I went down to 15lbs below my pre-preggo weight by 6 mos PP.

Here are some easy, ideas for things that are good for energy and that you can eat with one hand:

Boiled Eggs - just boil, peel and eat.  You can even peel a bunch at once to save time.  If you're feeling fancy, have an egg salad sandwhich.

Hummus - use it as a dip or spread.  I've been known to eat it with a spoon.  Buy a bag of baby carrots and you have a healthy snack. You can buy good hummus at the grocery store. 

Fruite smoothie - Make enough in one batch to last you through several days.  Put it in a to-go mug with a straw and take it with you when you leave the house or drink it while nursing DC.  My recipe: 1 bananna, some frozen peach slices, frozen blueberries, more fruit (whatever I have that's ripe.  Often mango, sometimes an orange, or other berries like strawberry, etc.) one half to one whole ripe avocado (makes it super creamy and those omega fats are so good for you and for baby!), milk to thin it a bit (cow, almond, soy, whatever you have) and yogurt (to make it creamy.  I use plain greek yogurt, but any kind will do).  You can also add flax seed, protien powder or other "boosters" if you like.

Trail Mix - 'nuff said

Sandwhiches - Get DH to make you one the night before.  PB&J is always good and easy.

Those are the ones that came to mind off the top of my head.  I'll try to think of more and re-post.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

wave.gifBirdie! I've been having the same problem since the new babe arrived and I ran out of my freezer food. I pretty much have some type of soup for lunch everyday, w/ baby interruptions this is the easiest way to make sure I eat something so I don't end up eating a loaf of bread later in the day.

For snacks I've been eating nuts since they're quick to grab and really give me a little protein pick me up. Second the trail mix type things; you can add something salty or sweet depending on what you crave so you can satisfy yourself, but still have reasonable portion sizes. Also easy to eat fruit to help with sugar cravings. I take a bunch of grapes off their vine, wash them and put them in a big bowl so I always have some to grab one-handed. And I have a single serve yogurt cup most days.

For more "real" meals I'm loving my crock-pot. I just dump in my meat and either cook it overnight or during the day then throw some easy sauce on top. We're doing mostly salads and frozen veggies for sides (not as great as fresh, but hey at least we're getting some veg) and a quick grain for the sides.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#4 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Cheese is always easy, fruit (when you get home from the grocery just prep it all before you put it away), green smoothies, yogurt, whole grain snacks, eggs (even fried or scrambled don't take that long), baked potatoes from the crockpot, refried beans (we eat them straight out of the can), quesidillas (add chicken, cheese, salsa or whatever), peanut butter straight from the jar....  cucumbers, carrots and peanut butter.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM

I relied on yogurt, egg sandwiches (fried egg, cheese, bread and big handful greens - spinach or arugula, or just lettuce), and sometimes could make a big fruit salad that I'd snack on over a day or two.  Because I was also prone to overdoing it with sweet bakery-type goods, having lots of fruit around really helped.  So would juice - sometimes just a cup of juice was all the extra I needed, if I had that before gorging myself on more cookies in my starving, nursing, tired mama state.  I also got those pourable, prepared veggie soups and would have that on the side of. . . whatever all week long.     

(as an aside. . . pie is totally healthy, I mean it's usually full of fruit, no? winky.gif Just have a scoop of yogurt on the side).  

#6 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Muesli and yoghurt is good. If you get a natural ( not toasted ) and make sure it has plenty of nuts and not too much dried fruit then it should be fairly low sugar.

Any chance your husband could make a few extra serves of dinner each night that you could freeze? Or when he has a day off one of you make a big pot of something for the freezer.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 35 Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What about a crock pot. After baby number 2 that's all I used for awhile. I'd put all the dry ingredients in the crockpot at night after the kids had gone to bed then stored the pot in the fridge. In the morning I'd add the wet stuff and turn it on. 

If it was something that needed 6 or less hours to cook I sometimes waited until morning to chop and fill. It gave me all morning to get that done.

Also, meal planning saved me. I'd make out a menu for the week and make my grocery list based on that. After grocery shopping I'd post the menu on the fridge so I knew what to do each day. HUGE savior. My littlest is 3.5 and I still meal plan. 

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 AM

I understand how your feeling but you need to eat properly and take care of yourself.

I love my slow cooker. W a 5.5y old, a 3y old & a 4 month old baby all w school activities & extra programs & a dh that works odd hours I survive b-c of my slow cooker. I've got it plugged in now..not to mention ess dishes when using a slowcookerthumb.gif

I also wash and prep all fruit as soon as I buy it. Wash and baggy grapes/grape tomatoes & baby carrots for quick snacks & the kids lunches. I chop extra veg for different meals. I already have my pasta veg chopped for 2moro b-c I was chopping veg this am for the slowcooker and 2moro will be insane so its 1 less thing to worry about.  

I also go thru all my cupboards before shopping and figure what I can make before buying more groceries. I plan every meal so that things overlap. On a day where were having veggies & hummus for lunch I chop extra and make salad for dinner. saves me repulling everything out @ another meal.

I make extras of everything for dh and I to have for lunch the next day and make easy freezable things as well. The kids are having veggie corndog muffins for lunch w a baggie of prechopped veg & fruit, a container of pre portioned yogurt,a rice cake,pre washed apple & fruit snacks. ds school lunch took me 5 min to put together...thats how long it took to heat up his thermos for the muffins.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#9 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM

I always try to make extra of whatever healthy meal I made for dinner. Otherwise,fruit and nuts are great,as well as whole wheat,or whole grain bread with peanut,or other,nut butter. Plus,things like fruits,nuts and these sandwiches,you can eat one-handed!

#10 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

#11 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie.lee View Post

Wow, these are all wonderful ideas!  I am making up a new meal/snack plan and groceries list to include all these easy and healthy things.

nstewart, when you make a large batch of smoothie to last several days, do you store it in the fridge or freezer?

You can just store it in the fridge.  I usually leave it right in the blender with the lid on top.  The top might get a bit brown from oxidization, but that doesn't really bug me because it still tastes great.

Another thought I had - have you tried Steel Cut Oats?  You could do this recipe and prepare enough for a week at a time.  Top with fruit, yogurt, kehfir, seeds, or whatever you feel like and you have a yummy healthy breakfast or snack.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#12 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

#13 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM

I am far past the nursing stage but am smack in the middle of another can't-stop-eating-and-am-only-eating-junk phase in my life.

Quote:

SundayCrepes and caiesmommy and everyone who recommended the crockpot/slowcooker, could you share your favorite recipes?  My baby is terribly sensitive to onions so that unfortunately excludes all those easy recipes with condensed soups and I am having a hard time finding something I can make and eat.

I never use those condensed soups or the dry mixes when I use the crock pot.  I don't have any recipes to share as I have been winging it so long, I don't have any saved or written down. 

For beef roasts, I just dust them generously with salt and pepper or whatever seasonings I have on hand.  I like Adobo (but check the label, I have no idea if it contains onion salts) and I tend to pick up dry rubs when one catches my eye.  (again, check ingredients)  I add a little liquid to the pot and let it go.  I put in leftover wine or beer if we have any on hand or just water. 

Maybe you and your DH could tag-team the meals, you could start a large roast in the crock pot that will be ready when he starts the sides AND you will have plenty of left overs.  When I do roasts, I shred the leftover meat for future meals of BBQ beef sandwiches and roast beef enchilladas. 

I think risotto is one of those dishes that is fantastic the next day.  I top it with butternut squash cubes (cooked), whatever nuts I have on hand and blue cheese.  I stretch quinoa several days doing the same thing.

Split chicken breast halves are a good crock pot meat too.  Again, I use whatever seasonings on hand.  Lemon pepper comes to mind, smoked paprika too.  Shredded leftovers make good chicken salad.  I like to add diced apples, nuts and dill to my chicken salad.  Mix up one big batch to last a couple of days.

The parenting and other quick and easy cook books never appealed to me, too labor intensive for the results (lots of steps for so-so dishes) and some seem to rely on a lot of packaged ingredients.  Not that packaged ingredients alone are bad but it is really just as easy to roast a whole chicken rubbed with oil, salt and pepper (stuff with lemons!)  then to mix up packet of this and that to pour over chicken pieces.  And a whole chicken provides leftovers.

Cooking extra of healthy stuff is such a life saver and it is something we aren't doing right now, which is why I am stuck in my junk funk.

Something so simple as browning 3x as much ground beef as you need and freezing 2/3 of it for later use can be a lifesaver.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

my slowcooker advice is to go check out slowcooker 365! wicked sight! I also lived off salt free tortilla chips avocado & goats milk cheese. use the chips to scoop out avocado & goats milk cheese...wonderful.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#15 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM

What great ideas!  I'm pregnant now and taking notes!  When my dd was little, my dh got really good at cooking... I was on complete bed rest for 12 weeks and then was just as helpless with a high needs infant.  Dh learned how to cook all sorts of things for supper in bigger batches, then put them in individual serving containers and froze or put in the fridge for my lunches.  Some of the easiest and tastiest ones were lasagnas, quiches, bean burgers, and soups/chili.  I lived on his leftovers for months!  He also kept the freezer stocked with the healthy/organic frozen pizzas and meals, like Amy's burritos and veggie sausages that I could heat really quick for an emergency snack or we could have if he didn't want to cook.  Not the greatest or cheapest, but works in a pinch.  For breakfasts I did (and still do often) steel cut oats or muslix/yogurt, prepared the night before. 

I've gotten pretty slack about snacks lately too though.  I usually cook 3 meals a day, and when morning sickness hit, I just did NOT want to be in the kitchen any more than I had to.  So... my snacks have become whatever I can grab and get out!  Crackers, nuts, trail mix, piece of fruit, yogurt cup, dried fruit, tortilla chips/salsa, cheese, pickles, low-sugar cereal.  I like to make miso soup for a snack or quick lunch... heat a mug of water and add some tofu cubes and a spoon of miso.  If I think ahead when I cook (which isn't as often as I should b/c I HATE meal planning), I'll cut some extra veggies to go with salad dressing, make some extra boiled eggs, cook extra chickpeas to make hummus.  Would love to hear other ideas for grab-n-go snacks with little or no kitchen prep time!

#16 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558322566?ie=UTF8&tag=fatfreevegank-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1558322566

Cream of mushroom soup: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetariancrockpotrecipe/r/creamofmushroom.htm

Sloppy Lentils: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/23/sloppy-lentils/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#17 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Hi Ram!  How's Brody?  He is cute as a button snuggling on that teddy bear.   Do you make your soup or do you buy it ready-made

Brody's doing good and growing so fast! I'm sure you've seen huge changes in L.

I make my soups from scratch in big batches and then freeze them. That way I can just defrost what I need and leave some in the fridge to eat as I want.

My favorite crock-pot foods are: pulled pork that we use for BBQ or quesadillas, cooking a whole chicken in there, then the meat just falls off the bone and I use it for whatever (it's like those precooked, prepackaged chicken pieces at the store, but I don't have to worry about whatever junk they put in those), red beans and rice go well in there too and tuna pasta. I just google slow-cooker XX recipe and try that. I ignore any ingredients we don't have and cut out the ingredients we don't eat. I don't like onions so I usually cut those out and don't notice a huge difference since L can't eat those.

#18 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM

If you can't find a muesli you like its easy to make your own. Just a packet of rolled oats, other grains such as bran flakes if you want them, plus whatever nuts and dried fruits you like. Mix together and store in an airtight container.

#19 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM

burritos consisting of beans, cheese, and salsa - can throw whatever veggies you have on hand in there

Quesadilla - same as burrito only you cook it in a different shape

Green smoothies

pizza - english muffin type

raw nuts

soups - Amy's has some good canned soups 

basic salad

sweet potato homemade baked fries

trail mix

Boiled egg

Greek yogurt

Fresh fruit 

Tortilla chips and salsa

bagel and cream cheese

And healthy whole grain cereals 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#20 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

#21 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Another thing that helps me is eating, almost overeating, before I go into a grocery store.  And going with a list.  I will pick up chips from time to time but other than that I never buy junk and ask DH to do the same.  That way the ONLY options in the house are healthy.  After awhile, it becomes second nature to pick from the healthy options that are easily accessible in the house.  It is a bit of learning curve and takes some getting used to at first but it becomes so much easier.   When you get home from the store start prepping vegetables/fruits to be ready, like the premade veggie trays are, and put them in plain sight.  Just little stuff like that can help.  Or just buy the premade raw veggie trays and/or fruit for awhile while you are so low on energy.  

If I want unhealthy I have to load up and drive to get it.  And that rarely ever happens as we live on land so it is usually way too much time/effort.  Also, I prepare in advance before leaving the house.  I measure out nuts, larabars, 100% real fruit leather, little cuties, small apples, etc. and put each portion in small reusable baggies and take a bag before leaving the house.  Lunches for work are packed the night before.  That way we never get caught without something to eat so we don't have to buy unhealthy food while out.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#22 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Also I should update that my eating the past two days has been much better.  Some of the things I have had are: bananas with greek yogurt, cheese, apples, trail mix (I made trail mix! oh the simple joys), and cottage cheese.  I also have plans to boil up some eggs and bake some potatoes in the crockpot.  I know those things sound super simple but compared to the junk I've been eating it is great.

Super simple is good!  It means that it is do-able for you without too much stress and without taknig time away from other important things (like sleep, for example!)

#23 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Oh, that reminds me, I used to mix trail mix with yoghurt sometimes for a snack. Yum!

#24 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

#25 of 35 Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM

A stash of baked potatoes is the best (this coming from a pregnant mama of a toddler)!  I can pull one out for lunch and put just about anything on top of it to have for lunch for me and my DS.  Leftover veggies, chilli (left-over or from a can), sour cream and herbs, Greek yogurt... Sweet potatoes also work well for this by the way!

I have also been making batches of muffins that are packed with seeds and nuts.  I realized that if I made nut and fruit bread, or even corn bread, I would cut myself a huge slab and then maybe even another if I felt so inclined.  But with muffins, I am much more conscious of how much I am eating.  If one muffin (or two) doesn't cut it, maybe I need a piece of fruit, or some cheese, or something else that will actually satisfy my hunger.

Quick proteins seem to do the most for me when I am feeling like I need a lasting boost.  I have been really into apples and various nut butters.  And usually after a couple of bites of that my DS wants to add another element to spice things up I guess.  So, I'll hop up (okay less hopping, more like standing) and grab the cheese out of the fridge, or a banana, or yogurt, or aforementioned muffin... then it starts to feel like a feast.  Man, if we had some of that leftover crockpot roast it really would be a feast!  I know what is going on the grocery list for me!

Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track!  So much good advice, and so many good reminders.  Good luck!

#26 of 35 Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Ram , yes, it is amazing the changes in L.  I got teary eyed during one of our nursing sessions this morning, thinking about how fast he is growing.  What kind of pork do you use for the pulled pork?  For tuna pasta, that sounds good, do you have a particular recipe?  (I googled it and there are too many to choose from.)

I know, it's flying by! Brody's outgrown his newborn clothes and I got a little emotional putting them away. My first choice is pork shoulder, but I'll use anything on sale and most cuts turn out great in the crock pot. I don't have a real tuna recipe. I mix in the tuna then milk or cream and add seasoning till I like it.

#27 of 35 Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

#28 of 35 Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

#29 of 35 Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

There are some great suggestions in this thread! 

I find that having some home made trail mix on hand helps get me through intense junk food cravings too. I make a mix of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried cherries or cranberries and some dark chocolate chips. Throwing a snack bag of this before I head out the door gets me through a lot of rough moments and keeps my energy level steady.

#30 of 35 Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Oh, yes, I've been there! All these ideas are great. I just want to add that one of the reasons you are exhausted is because you are eating the sugary, processed stuff. Especially while breastfeeding - your body is screaming for extra micronutrients and fat. Once you get more nutrient dense foods in your body you'll probably find your energy increases.

I notice a HUGE difference in my energy and my cravings when I stick to lots of good, healthy fats, no processed foods, etc.

I'll second the rec for eggs - hard boiled or fried in grass fed butter....keeps me going for hours. And good deli meat (organic, nitrate free), like ham, wrapped around cheese and veggies (carrots, peppers or some lettuce). A few of those make a great, easy lunch. Coconut oil makes a big difference for me, too - I drop a dollop in my coffee in the morning or have it in tea later in the day and it's a great, boosting kind of fat.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page