This is making me crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am attempting to make some alcohol tinctures.  I have my "high-quality" dried herbs and a TON of alcohol (brandy, Everclear, 100-proof vodka) and my jars are clean.

And EVERYONE has a different opinion of what to do!

My plan WAS to fill the jars 1/2 full will herbs and then fill the jar with vodka.  

Right?  Wrong?  How do YOU make your tinctures?

Thank you!

Mr sB

#2 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM

richo cech's "making plant medicine" has excellent, detailed information on making tinctures. generally speaking, it's 1 part (by weight) of dried herb : 4 parts (by volume) of alcohol (100 proof for most herbs) hth

#3 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Most of the sources I have say that using FRESH plant material rather than dried. I usually just fill a jar about 2/3 -3/4 of the way full with herbs, pour the alcohol over them (enough to cover them completely). Then let sit for a few weeks, shaking periodically. Pour the water off the top when your done, strain the herbs and bottle.

#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM

fresh is defiitely best. op said she had dried herbs so i gave ratios for that

#5 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM

I have a little advise. One of The reasons that fresh herbs are ideal for making tinctures is that some of the constituents in most herbs are water soluble, and some are alcohol soluble. With fresh plant material, the water is already there. With dried plant material, water needs to be added.

A general ratio for most dried plants is 1:5, with 60% alcohol (you will see this on many tincture labels). This means 1 part plant by weight to 5 parts liquid by volume, using 60% alcohol (and 40% water.

So if you have 2 oz of dried herb, you would use 10 oz of liquid: 6 oz of alcohol, and 4 oz water to get that 1:5, 60 %

I hope that helps

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page