i need smoothie recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a single mom, in school fullntime, and working almost full time. I was doing good as far as breakfasts and stuff goes for a while, but now I'm exhausted and cant seem to get anything together anymore. Id love some good (protien rich would be great!) Easy smoothie ideas... if I can make a whole blended full and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, that's even better smile.gif thanks!

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#2 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM

I am loving my morning smoothie.

Banana
Berries
A mass amount of spinach
Hemp powder
Hemp milk

I make it every morning and we all love it, kids included.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#3 of 29 Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I recently got an old vitamix with a stainless steel jar and I've greatly increased the greens in my smoothies. Not sure if a regular blender could tear up greens as well as my vitamix. My additions are kale and collards. The rest of the ingredients I always used in my old blender.

Fresh banana (I add it first to give the blender something soft to start with)

Frozen blueberries

Frozen spinach 

Frozen mango

RAW honey

Flax seeds--High in protein, fiber, and omega 3s (I grind them fresh in a coffee grinder right before using them)

Chia seeds--High in protein, fiber, and omega 3s (They absorb LOTS of moisture so if you don't drink your smoothie quickly you may need to thin it out a bit)

Almond milk

Fresh kale

Fresh collards

I used to coconut milk or coconut oil and almond butter for increased nutrition, but I was putting on weight so stopped.

In the past I used to add raw egg from my chickens, but I wouldn't let it set with egg in it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Flax seeds--High in protein, fiber, and omega 3s (I grind them fresh in a coffee grinder right before using them)
You don't pre-grind them with your Vitamix, though, right?

Subbing to this thread for more ideas.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#5 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM

I never thought about using chia but that sounds like something I will be trying. Thanks for the ideas

Mama to my tribe
#6 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

The "base" for all my fruit smoothies is one or two nice, ripe banannas, one half to one whole avocado (I recently started buying a ton when they go on sale, letting them get nice and ripe, then cubbing and freezing them to use in the smoothies), yogurt (whatever kind I have, usually plain greek though which is higher in protien) and some type of milk to thin it out (almond, cow, soy).  From there I just add whatever I have or that sounds good.  This morning it was a peeled, segmented whole orange and raspberries.  Often it is blueberries and peaches.  I have even added sliced apple (skins removed) when I had extra apple to get rid of.  Really, any type of fruit or berry is good in any combination that you think will be tastey.

I used to add protien powder and I sometimes add ground flax seed.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#7 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I bought a vitamix recently so we have gone smoothie crazy in our home! Every morning I make a smoothie with: orange (reind removed), a banana, an apple (cored), big handful of spinach, 5-6 baby carrots, a few ice cubes, a bit of almond milk and a tsp of flax oil. I share it with our 14 month old. My older kids prefer frozen berry smoothies but I always sneak a red cabbage leaf or a couple of grape tomatoes in:) I bought kale this morning and will try that in a smoothie this afternoon, maybe with mango and banana.

#8 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM

double post. sorry!

#9 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Smoothies have been a part of our household for the last few years.  My vitamix never sees the inside of a cupboard because we use it so frequently!  Here is what we regularly use around these parts... it changes depending upon what I have in the fridge!

avocado or 1/2 cup soaked raw almonds or hemp hearts or any nut of your choice

2-3 pitted dates (depending upon how sweet you want it) or 1/2 banana... sometimes I leave the sweetener out if there is alot of fruit going in the smoothie -- a pinch of cinnamon will also help to sweeten the smoothie up without adding extra sugars

1-2 handfuls of greens such as kale or spinach (spinach is a much milder green and easier to hide the taste of)

pinch of sea salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 cups of water (I add more ingredients for every extra cup of water I add or it becomes too thin-tasting)

From there you can use pretty much anything you like for flavour.  Some favorites around here are:  pear & ginger; raw cocoa & mint (which is great if you need a bit of a kickstart to your day!); strawberries (about a cup), blueberries & pinches of cardamom/nutmeg/cinnamon.

You really cannot go too wrong with anything!  Just experiment and if you don't like your results one day, just plug your nose and remember it is good for you and try again the next.  :) 

I also love a warm cup of raw cocoa for a treat.  Start with soaked raw almonds, 3 pitted dates (or more), 1/2 tsp vanilla, pinch of sea salt, 2 tbsp raw cocoa (or more if you like a stronger chocolate taste) and a mix of grated fresh ginger, cinnamon and allspice or nutmeg, and about 1 and a half cups of water.  If you have a vitamix, keep it on high until your bevvie has warmed up.  It's my favorite!

HAPPY BLENDING!!!

#10 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM

I was hoping some others on this thread would have had a Vitamix. orngbiggrin.gif We got ours just under a month ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! joy.gif: I'm taking it over to a friend's house tomorrow so she can see it in action. I'm more excited for her to see it than she is to see it, I think. LOL.

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#11 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Hello mama

I use a Ninja sorry not a Vitamix. Wish I had one though. My recipe is similar to the others:

2 fresh bananas

cup frozen strawberries

2 cup frozen blueberries

cup frozen mango

cup frozen pineapple

1/3 cup ground flax

1/4 cup chia seeds

orange and apple juice to cover

I would use some other things if I was making it for myself like peanut butter, coconut milk, yogurt but this is for the family so it is family friendly :)

Also I LOVE making baked oatmeal. Mix (for 1 serving) 1/2c rolled oats with 2T coconut sugar, 2T coconut oil, 3T coconut milk, any fresh or frozen fruit about 1/2-2/3 cups (blueberries, strawberries, a whole banana, raisins, 1/4c organic canned pumpkin, the list can go on and on...) some cinnamon and nutmeg! WOW! This is amazing! Bake it in individual ramekins for about 20 mins and the broil for a min or 2 to add crunchy top! Its pretty amazing! I got this recipe from chocolatecoveredkatie.com. She has so amazing dessert and breakfast ideas! :)

Mother to 2 AWE-some souls, who do not sleep longer than 5 hours! Partnered with my best friend

cd.gif delayedvax.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifdreads.gifmomsling.GIF

#12 of 29 Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

You don't pre-grind them with your Vitamix, though, right?
Subbing to this thread for more ideas.

I do pre-grind them. With all the other food and liquid in the vitamix I can't be sure they'd be ground. So, for an extra 20 seconds of work to grind them in an electric coffee grinder I just do it and don't have to worry about losing out on the nutrition.

Besides, I grind extra and leave them in the grinder. Then, if my son wants cereal, I can just put some flax on his cereal. If he hears me grinding flax he'll tell me doesn't want it on his cereal. But if it's already ground, he doesn't hear my grinder so doesn't ask me to not put flax on his cereal.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#13 of 29 Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I add almond butter and yogurt for protein. I throw a few strawberries and a banana broken into pieces together in the freezer so they are ready to go.

#14 of 29 Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM

I have a vitamix too and I don't pre-grind the flax or chia seeds.  We use frozen and fresh fruit, greens, carrots, greek yogurt, kefir, and a splash of juice.  I find the flavor that sticks out the most is whatever was frozen.  For that reason, I try not to use frozen veggies.

Mama to three

#15 of 29 Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

I have a vitamix too and I don't pre-grind the flax or chia seeds.  We use frozen and fresh fruit, greens, carrots, greek yogurt, kefir, and a splash of juice.  I find the flavor that sticks out the most is whatever was frozen.  For that reason, I try not to use frozen veggies.

I've just started buying Kefir and wasn't putting it in my smoothies when I make them, but will add a bit to thin it out when I'm actually serving the smoothie.  I was wondering if having the kefir mixed into the smoothie and then having it sit in the fridge would kill the kehfir organisms? 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#16 of 29 Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots of yummy ideas, thanks guys eat.gif

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#17 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM

another cool ingredient to boost up nutrition and calories, protein, healthy fat and cholesterol etc ... is ..... ( i just read this lately from mercola.com) RAW EGG YOLK, this i think would go best with an OJ base, taste a little like vanilla, and actually its the best form of eating eggs you get all the benefits, and they even say that kids who are allergic to eggs can probably eat raw egg yolk, theyre one of the best protein.

I also like adding all these ingredients,( besides from the fruits) all good for a complete breakfast, but not necessarily all in one smoothie :

Oats, Hemp protein, Spirulina (i only like it in oj base), almonds, chia ( you can soak for 2 min in water then put in and flax too, coconut (meat and water together), avocado, i even did chicken liver for iron ( hidden with lots of berries ), and sometimes i add a capsule of probiotics.

TOFU is a great one it sponges it up ... very nutricious and no flavor 

And the bases can be YOGURT, COCONUT ( milk or water with the meat), cow or powder milk , OJ , and all those dairy free milks, rice, almond, hemp, soy.

hope yall enjoy them and i would recomend if u want to store for other days it would be better to freeze individual servings instead of a jar in the fridge. :) (for better flavor, consistency and nutrition)

they would take like 30 to 60 min to unfreeze

loving nature mommatreehugger.gif of mi little flower.gifblossom, born december 2010.

thumb.gif to selectivevax.gifornovaxnoIRC.gif ,    lactivist.gif familybed1.gif

namaste.gif

#18 of 29 Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

My Lo's favorite smoothie:

~1 cup of milk (any kind) or half milk half yogurt/buttermilk

1 banana, fresh or frozen (DS likes fresh)

2 tbls or so wheat germ

1-2 Tbls flax seed

2 heaping spoonfuls peanut or almond butter

This blends really easily in my lender (some recipes are too thick for my cheapy blender to handle). Blend for a good minute or two to break up all the flax seeds. Our fruit/berry smoothie is similar:

~ 1 cup milk, or half and half milk and yogurt

1 banana

wheat germ

flax seeds or oil

1/2 cup berries (we generally use frozen)

Hope this helps!

#19 of 29 Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM

We just bought a lovely new blender set, and so here I am, eavesdropping.

I have greek yogurt, berries berries berries, bananas, flax, honey... I am ready to go!

eat.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#20 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM

We use our vitamix to make a variety of delicious smoothies but our faves are

Green smoothie (this fill the blender pretty full):

1 whole cucumber (about 3/4 of one)

3 stalks of organic celery

1 lemon, peeled

1 lime, peeled

1 orange, peeled

1 grapefruit, peeled

2 apples, cored

2 bananas

two big handfuls of Kale or baby spinach

2 scoops vanilla protein powder (optional)

a chunk of ginger

1/3 of a pineapple

1 cup of coconut water (or coconut milk) sometimes I cut out the pineapple and use a coconut water and pineapple juice combo

you can also add cilantro or parsley to it but I find the flavors to be a little too overwhelming

Berry smoothie:

2 cups berries

2 big handfuls spinach

2 tbsp ground flax

2 tbsp Udo's oil (or flax oil)

1 banana

1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)can add more liquid if you like your smoothie less thick

2 scoops protein powder (strawberry or vanilla usually taste really good)

you can add some yogurt to this recipe too

#21 of 29 Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Subbing
#22 of 29 Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 AM

At the risk of sounding mediocre , my easiest and quickest smoothie is some silken tofu , blended with fresh or frozen berries and sometimes a tablespoon of wheat germ .

But I will try some of the more elaborate sounding ones on here ! orngtongue.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#23 of 29 Old 06-29-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm a mom of two and I go to college as well so I understand what your going through :) I started a blog with smoothie recipes and healthy living ideas you can find them here at http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/. These are green smoothies so they have 60% fruit to 40% vegetable so you don't taste the veggies. This is twice as much nutrition as a regular smoothie and my kids just love them :) double bonus. I update with recipes regularly so you can subscribe to get them if you'd like :)

Green Raspberry smoothie

Frozen Spinach about 1/3 cup

about 5 baby carrots

about 1/3 cup parsley

1/10 of a cucumber

two handfuls of frozen blueberries

one small apple

about 1/2 cup water

agave nectar to taste

These are great but make sure to mix 40-60 so you don't taste the veggies :) you can also add non fat greek or regular blueberry yogurt 

#24 of 29 Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM

My breakfast every day now is this (amounts approximate):

2 c water
1/4 c almonds
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 c rolled oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 c frozen spinach
3/4 c blueberries
1/2 frozen banana

#25 of 29 Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

This is almost a desert it is so good - so I think I will share.  It is almost like a sherbet.

frozen mangoes

coconut milk

small handful of coconut

a bit of honey

I had it at a friend's house and was close to licking the bowl!

if I was trying to add in some protein into the recipe, I might experiment with silken tofu and or ground almonds.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#26 of 29 Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

This is almost a desert it is so good - so I think I will share.  It is almost like a sherbet.

frozen mangoes

coconut milk

small handful of coconut

a bit of honey

I had it at a friend's house and was close to licking the bowl!

if I was trying to add in some protein into the recipe, I might experiment with silken tofu and or ground almonds.  

Sounds good....I want to make this tonight for a treat.  Did you use canned coconut milk or the thinner type in a carton (like So Delicious) that is more like milk and a bit less coconutty?  I guess either w/b fine but since I have both I thought I would ask. thx

#27 of 29 Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

I have only used the thinner type of coconut milk.  Good luck

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#28 of 29 Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I have only used the thinner type of coconut milk.  Good luck

Thanks.

I ended up using plain coconut milk yogurt because I had some that was close to expiring.  I also added a dash of vanilla.  My husband and I liked it but the kids did not.  Which is fine.  One of the nice things about the Vitamix is that it is easy to make more than one batch quickly and easily.  The kids decided on...strawberry, mango, dark cherry and coconut milk 'ice cream-like' smoothies for desert.

#29 of 29 Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Here are some yummy smoothie recipes:
http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-green-smoothie-recipe-with-hazelnut-milk/

I love that one because it has all the health benefits of spinach without the taste--its masked by the peanut butter and cacao.

This one is also great for a similar reason: http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/passion-fruit-mango-green-smoothie-recipe-with-vanilla/

Its more tropical fruity rather than desserty.

And if you're a pear lover like myself then you'll enjoy these:
http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/pear-smoothie-recipes-and-nutrition/

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page