Home-made dyes for duck birthday cake - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear friends,

I would like to make a Ming MIng cake for my daughter (of Wonder Pets fame).

http://wonderpets.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ming-Ming_thumbnail.png

I figure that with my very poor artistic skills, this may be the best to make, because it is circular and no cutting is involved.

My question is, what *real* foods can I use to dye the cake? I have ideas but I don't know how to implement them, as I am not into baking (it's a cultural thing).

For instance, I suppose I can use turmeric for the yellow. How do I mix it in the frosting without making the cake taste too turmeric-y? And what can I use for the frosting? Heavy cream? See? My baking skills are that pathetic, sorry.

Please, please, can anyone give me some direction. I know that I can buy a cake if I wanted to, but all the nasty dyes, shudder! I don't even eat all of those grocery store colourful cakes. Can't bring myself to, and don't want my daughter to either.

What of the light pink? For the brown hat, I suppose, carob powder or cocoa powder. Eyes - chocolate covered almonds - can be removed before cake is cut, or before serving. Green cape?

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Turmeric doesn't have a huge flavor to me, but you could use anatto seed. Depending on your frosting recipe, melt some butter and put a bunch of seeds in there, then strain the seeds out and you should get a nice, deep yellow color. I made pink frosting just last week using beet juice (I boiled some beets and reduced the liquid into cubes to freeze for later use. Then I nuked a cube until it basically evaporated, leaving only the color in the bowl. It worked great!

Here's a recipe for green: http://www.ehow.com/how_5668579_make-green-food-dye.html

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM

The plant based "natural" food dyes do work pretty well, so those are out there.

And their yellow dye is turmeric-based - if you're mixing it into frosting with sugar, believe me you won't really notice.  Personally I'd consider a cream cheese frosting just cause it's my favorite, plus it's flavor will probably mean anything "weird" you use to dye it isn't as noticeable.  Here's my frosting: 1 block softened cream cheese, dash of heavy cream (1 tsp to 2 tsp), powdered sugar (at least 1/2 c), dash of vanilla.  Add more of anything until it tastes/looks good.    

Chamomile (like a lightly brewed tea?) might give you a pale yellow if you'd prefer that.

Water from boiled spinach can work for green (or possibly powdered wheatgrass, reconstituted) - or green smoothie? 

Beet juice does make an excellent pink.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding! Somehow, this thread disappeared from "My Posts", so I thought that I never posted it. I just realized that I did, when I opened this folder in my email.

I ended up using ripe mango for yellow and strawberry for pink.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List