Focusing on "Super-Foods" - how to incorporate things? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. :)  First off, a bit about me, and why we're doing this now. I'm 30, and realizing more than ever how important it is to care for my body so I can continue to live a long and healthy life.  Hubby and I are both in good health, and want to stay that way.  I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant, and have noticed a wonderful difference since I started eating more healthfully after I found out I was pregnant.  We have two daughters - our youngest is very healthy (age 6).  Our oldest (age 10) has a lot of health problems - epilepsy, autism, development delays, sleep problems, digestive issues, etc.  It has taken us until now to be able to get our oldest eating a wider variety of foods (long story but she was failure-to-thrive for many years because she couldn't/wouldn't eat).  Now that she is eating better foods like salads and smoothies, I really want to put the focus on eating as healthfully as possible for her.  She is a vegetarian, though the rest of us are not. 

SO... here's what I want to do, I'm thinking. 

I have been doing some research on "Super Foods" and what seems to have the most "bang for your buck" so to speak.  Because my oldest daughter's diet is so limited, I really want to find ways to incorporate things into her current diet that are incredibly healthy for her.  Ultimately, I will be making these changes for all of us, but my focus is finding ways to help her be as healthy as possible, given her problems both health wise, and with eating. 

She loves things like spaghetti, salad, smoothies, sandwiches (PBJ, etc), cereal, waffles or pancakes, etc.  I know I can do a lot with those food groups, and even work toward gluten free (with gluten free pasta, cereal, almond flour to make pancakes, etc).  I'm planning to use some pre-made things like the Odowalla juice with Spirulina, which she loves, and put it into a smoothie with raw cacao powder, and some other fresh fruits and veggies.  She loves smoothies so I think that will work well.  I want to see about putting some Acai in there as well to help with her sleep problems,  I will be cooking with coconut oil whenever I can to help get good fats and help boost metabolism in all of us.  I want to start using raw honey as much as possible as well for all of the amazing benefits the bees can give us. We also put flax seeds in everything for the fiber and essential fatty acids. 

I have started a garden so we can have fresh, organic fruits and vegetables.  I will also be preserving any excess so we can eat them long after garden season is over. 

Supplements I am planning on are a really good multi-vitamin, a good multi-mineral, and a probiotic.  I'm not sure what probiotics might work best.  

So... those are some of the major changes we're going to be making.  Any other suggestions or ideas that have worked really well for you?  

#2 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good stuff. 

I also add chia seeds to stuff (similar to flax.) I alternate the two of them to expand our nutrients.

I use avocado oil and macadamia oil because they have higher smoke points than olive or coconut oil. http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm

Almond flour is great. Lots of recipes at http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM

I have started eating like a super lady. :)

I put avocados with everything because they are SO good for you and high in fiber. I put raw ones along side my eggs, put them in salads and also in smoothies. I mix greens and carrots in our smoothies as well as hemp powder which is AMAZING!

I also basically just try to eat colorful fruits and vegetables at every meal. Yesterdays lunch was a kale salad with chopped up kale, purple cabbage, avocados, smoked salmon and balsamic vinegar on top. A grapefruit with coconut sugar on the side. It tasted amazing and felt so good.

Anyway, I hope that I am of some help. Good luck!

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#4 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Oh, I also fry and bake with only coconut oil.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#5 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Chia Pudding. Tastes similar to tapioca pudding, but no cooking required and really easy to make. Chia is high in protein and Omega 3's.

To make a Chia pudding, mix 2/3 cup Chia seeds with 2 Cups "Milk" (Almond, Cashew, Soy, Rice, Hemp, Cow Milk, etc). Whisk for a few minutes. Add vanilla and sweetener to taste. (Stevia, Brown Rice Syrup, Maple Syrup, Agave, Honey, etc.)

Chill in fridge.

jolenegreen and gschmie5 like this.
#6 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 AM

I also wanted to add that with every meal I add fruits or veggies. My breakfast yoghurt has to have berries or cherries.

Last night we had a dinner of whole wheat orzo and chicken and even though there is a salad on the side I also mixed broccoli, kale, tomatoes and kalmata olives to my plate...which also means that I cut down on the main course to make room for veggies. It is amazing!

Instead of two eggs with toast I have one egg with spinach, tomatoes and avocados all mixed together. No cheese unless it is goats. Cows cheese is a treat for me these days. It weighs me down.

#7 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Great thread! I was wondering if anyone has done raw foods/super foods while being pregnant.  I have digestive woes and always feel better when eating smoothies, but then have major cravings for carbs and proteins but usually feel bloated and uncomfortable after eating them.

A friend is sending me some chia seeds.  I'll have to try that pudding recipe!

thanks!

#8 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM

QUINOA! Flax oil, nutritional yeast....yum!

#9 of 22 Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I second the vote for quinoa. It would be easy to add to a lot of the things your dd likes without her noticing the difference. A couple of times a week I cook a cup of quinoa and just store it in the fridge so I can add it to things like smoothies, salads, the batter for baked goods, into soups and pasta sauces. You don't have to add a lot into any one serving of something for her intake to be high throughout the day.

#10 of 22 Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM

I make a quick quinoa salad: cook up your quinoa (takes 10-15 minutes), let it cool. Mix in a can of chick peas/garbanzos (rinsed), and TONS of veggies and herbs, like red pepper, peas, parsley, onion, corn, kale.....basically whatever you have. Then mix the whole thing with equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, and salt and pepper. Healthy and so yummy....especially if you use crunchy veggies!!

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#11 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post

I make a quick quinoa salad: cook up your quinoa (takes 10-15 minutes), let it cool. Mix in a can of chick peas/garbanzos (rinsed), and TONS of veggies and herbs, like red pepper, peas, parsley, onion, corn, kale.....basically whatever you have. Then mix the whole thing with equal parts lemon juice and olive oil, and salt and pepper. Healthy and so yummy....especially if you use crunchy veggies!!

I do something similar to this - no chickpeas, and I always use the same veggies (red & yellow bell peppers, grated carrot, kale, onion, garlic and ginger). I dress it with lemon juice and coconut oil, with just a pinch each of ground coriander and curry powder. I may try adding the chickpeas. I never thought of that, but I love them.

ETA: My veggie choice is largely aesthetic. I take this to a biweekly homelearning meetup, and I like the mix of colours. I tend to use more kale than anything, and chop it quite small, because it's so much darker than anything else in the salad. But, I like the brightness of the peppers and carrots as an accent.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Great recipes, I love the idea of putting quinoa in a smoothie, Shantimama - what kind of smoothie - can you share a recipe?

I made a great salad yesterday. Here's what I made:

Arame seaweed (soak over night then rinse and drain - this way you don't have to cook it to get it soft)

Pumpkin seeds (soaked over night as well so their nice and soft to digest

Beluga Lentils

Organic Baby Spinach leaves

Grated carrots and zucchini (i grated them in the food processor)

Diced Cucumbers

Chopped Spring onions

Cherry Tomatoes cut in half

Avocado

Simple dressing of sesame oil, rice vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt and pepper to taste.

It was yummalicious!

Another thing I made - perhaps it is a super food - Nettles

I juiced:

Nettles (from the garden - high in vitamins)

Celery

then put it in a blender to make a smoothie with:

1 avocado

2 pears

and a bit o' water.

YUMMY and soothing

#13 of 22 Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM

BUMP :) Lovin this thred

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
#14 of 22 Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Kimchi!

#15 of 22 Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have recently started thinking along these lines as well, having re-read Eat to Live, watching Forks over Knives, etc.

We make that chia pudding - it's great for breakfast! There is a yummy pudding you can make with soft tofu and semi-sweet chocolate: http://chefinyou.com/2011/03/tofu-chocolate-pudding/ (you really can't taste the tofu). Another yummy (GF) dessert: black bean brownies. Flax can also be used to make "flax eggs" for baking - google "flax egg" or vegan baking sites. Nutritional yeast is great on popcorn (we do put butter on it, but I often mix that 50-50 with olive oil). We buy the Barilla Plus pasta that has legume flour in it as well. It's not as grainy as whole wheat and when you get used to it, it tastes better than the regular. Out of the gluten-free pastas, Tinyada brown rice pasta is good, and there is also a pretty good corn spaghetti (Ms. Leapers?), but ít's softer than regular (or seems that way after the Barilla Plus).

One thing I am finding is that if you are eating fruit and vegetable-based meals, the portion sizes can be (sometimes much) bigger, for example, my lunch salad is made in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#16 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I second the suggestion of checking Elana's Pantry however, you might look into some paleo recipes. Lots of super food ideas there.

GL

#17 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Happywoman.. Thank you for the chia pudding recipe!  That is awesome

#18 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM

I am obsessed with a huge kale salad with Braggs apple cider dressing, avocado, cucumber, beets, chia seeds, and carrots. 

#19 of 22 Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Hey there I feel the same way and am making healthy changes in our life as well. I actually started a blog about healthy lifestyle ideas and healthy smoothies http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/. I love these smoothies because you can get fruits and vegetable into your kids with no fuss! My daughter has digestive issues and these green smoothies help her sooooo much. Making smoothies is one of the best way to get super foods in your diet :) I use spinach, carrots, cucumbers, and parsley, but you can add collard greens or kale instead but they are a bit stronger in flavor so add extra fruit :)

#20 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Since this thread came back up, I'll also mentiont that I've been making a veggie dip with yogurt. I add herbs to taste, but I also stir in a whack of chia seeds. If I remember to make the dip ahead of time, it thickens up nicel - if I don't, it's still tasty.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM

I went raw for a few years so i learned about all kinds of superfoods:

-hemp seeds or oil: they are very nutritious and well-balanced, it contains the perfect 3:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids, which is important for long-term health. It also contains other polyunsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants, its 25% high-quality protein that has amino acid ratios similar to meat and eggs (so its excellent for vegans). It has been known to cure cancer or help greatly with cancer treatment. I could go on and on.

-raw cacao: very tasty, can be used in smoothies, recipes calling for chocolate, as an ice crean topping, you name it and its also very, very healthy: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/04/12/raw-chocolate/

-acai: yummy berry, the juice is perfect for smoothies--http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/benefits-of-acai/

-wheatgrass: http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpress/2009/05/22/wheatgrass-health-benefits/

--goji berries: http://thehealthyeatingsite.com/the-health-benefits-of-goji-berries/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goji-berry-benefit-secrets.htm

noni: http://healthiersteps.com/NaturalRemedies/tabid/72/entryid/67/10-Amazing-Health-Benefits-of-Noni.aspx

raw nori: http://www.eismas.com/the-countless-health-benefits-of-nori-seaweed

I got sick of repeating myself for each one, saying they are tasty. Just know that i have tried each one and i highly recommend them both for taste and health benefits, as do many people who are into the raw food lifestyle.
#22 of 22 Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM

I love this thread.  Aside from all the great stuff, I just want to add mine: proteins from India.

The yummiest salad dressing is plain whipped yoghurt with minced onions and apples.  Whip the yoghurt with a little water or milk and a very small amount of honey or sugar until it's nice and light, then add in your minced veggies.  Yellow onions are good.  My favorite yoghurt is Stoneyfield and my son eats it plain.

Learn to use a pressure cooker; this saves oodles and oodles of time and enables you to cook with dried beans and lentils, which are much much more flavorful.  I regularly make kidney beans, chick peas, chana dal, moong dal, masoor dal, Etc, all very very nutritious and have protein.

The best pressure cookers are hawkins brand.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page