making granola bars - sort of a pantry challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping someone, who is more creative in the kitchen than I, can give me some ideas.  I am trying to use up some of the items in my pantry.

I have a lot of granola in the pantry (Nature's Path Ancient Grains which is made w/spelt, kamut, quinoa, amaranth, etc.)

My children used to love it but haven't been eating it lately.  They do, however, eat a granola bar daily.  I thought I could make granola bars out of this cereal - but I have never made granola bars.  I also have a couple of jars of brown rice syrup and was wondering if I could use it in the granola bars.  The brown rice syrup is expired, but I was hoping they were still alright because they have never been opened.

Some other things I have in the pantry that can possibly be added to the bars:

chocolate chips, raisins, cacao, chia goodness, almonds, pecans, walnuts, honey, peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter

TIA

#2 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You could definitely make something g with those ingredients. I have a recipe which combines honey and peanut butter to bind the dry ingredients. Warm the honey and pb and mix them together. Put whatever dry ingredients you like in a bowl, add the honey/pb mix, press into a lined slice tray and refrigerate.

The ratio is about 4.5 cups of dry ingredients to 1/2 a cup of nut butter and 1/2 a cup of honey.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

You could definitely make something g with those ingredients. I have a recipe which combines honey and peanut butter to bind the dry ingredients. Warm the honey and pb and mix them together. Put whatever dry ingredients you like in a bowl, add the honey/pb mix, press into a lined slice tray and refrigerate.
The ratio is about 4.5 cups of dry ingredients to 1/2 a cup of nut butter and 1/2 a cup of honey.

Thank you for the ratios.  I am going to try it tonight.  I never thought to warm the nut butter and honey. 

I do not know what a 'slice tray' is, but I figure a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper should work.

Thanks

#4 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Thank you for the ratios.  I am going to try it tonight.  I never thought to warm the nut butter and honey. 

I do not know what a 'slice tray' is, but I figure a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper should work.

Thanks

No problem :-) and yes a Swiss/jelly roll tray is pretty much the same thing as a slice tray.

#5 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM

In case you were still searching for something -- these granola muffins are good (and use up 2c of granola).  

I've also had granola pancakes (ladle pancake, sprinkle spoonful of granola on uncooked top, cook like regular and flip over when done)

#6 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well...we made granola bars tonight.  It was really easy. Although, the kids added too many chocolate chips!  They are chewy and remind me of a Clif Bar (the original type).  We used granola, nuts, chocolate chips, brown rice syrup and peanut butter. 

I will try the muffins tomorrow.  Thank you for the recipe.

#7 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Well...we made granola bars tonight.  It was really easy. Although, the kids added too many chocolate chips!  They are chewy and remind me of a Clif Bar (the original type).  We used granola, nuts, chocolate chips, brown rice syrup and peanut butter. 

I will try the muffins tomorrow.  Thank you for the recipe.

Yum! They sound delicious. Is there such a thing as too many chocolate chips??????

#8 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the ratios katelove!  We just made these and they are awesome.  My 4yo loved measuring everything out, stirring it up, and especially pressing the warm bars into the pan.  I used unsweetened muslix, supplemented with carob chips, raisins, coconut, ground flax seed, sesame seeds, and salt, with crunchy peanut butter and honey.   Next time I think I'll try adding some finely chopped almonds or other nuts to boost the protein... and I might replace some of the honey with melted butter since they were pretty sweet.

#9 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM

I've been wanting to do granola bars and this sounds easy enough that I could actually do it!!  A couple questions:

1) do the bars have to stay refridgerated after they've "set up" in the fridge?

2) can I bake rolled oats in the oven if I don't have granola and use that?

Thanks!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Not sure how they'd go out of the fridge. Might depend on your climate. It's very hot where we are so I think they'd go pretty sticky here. It if you were cooler they might be ok.

I only ever use untoasted muesli so you wouldn't need to toast the rolled oats unless you wanted to for flavour.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page