Meal ideas, please. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We will be travelling about 6 hours to my ils for a funeral.  I don't want my mil to have to worry about feeding us while we're there, so I'm trying to think of things I could make here and bring along.  So far, I'm planning to make a big batch of spaghetti sauce with italian sausage and veggies.  I'll freeze it, and then I'll just have to heat it up and cook pasta at their house.  I'd like one or two other ideas, especially something for breakfast.  Ideally I'd like to do as much prep as I can here, since my ils are too nice to let me do much when I'm there (e.g.:I always do dishes and they just try to talk me out of it).  I thought about baked oatmeal (mixing all the dry ingredients here and then just adding the wet stuff there), but I made that last time we were there.  

So, any thoughts?  tia!

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Breakfast - The oatmeal sounds great and if you all enjoyed it last time, I wouldn't worry that it's a repeat performance.  It could even become a nice tradition to have it when you visit. Otherwise - muffins or breakfast bars? You could either bake them in advance, or mix up the dry ingredients and bring it in a container and then just add the wet ingredients when you are there.  Round out the breakfast with some fruit and maybe scrambled eggs. 

Lunch - Sandwich bar - sliced cheeses and meats and some sliced tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Add some crusty buns. Let everyone make their own sandwich. 

Dinner - Make ahead - put chicken breasts in marinade and freeze (you mentioned you are taking frozen spaghetti sauce, so I figure you are fine with taking frozen food for the 6 hour trip). Then for dinner, just grill or bake, and serve along with some steamed vegetables or salad and the left-over buns from lunch. 

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Breakfast ideas:  Ditto muffins, or something like cinnamon swirl bread, or granola.  Melons & bananas would travel and last well.  A homemade pancake mix would work just like you've done with your baked oatmeal (which sounds good too).  

Lunch/dinner: Tortillas and jarred salsa travel well - pick up cheese there and bring canned beans or travel with home cooked ones, or some kind of mexican-flavored marinated chicken (that you could do like the pp mentioned).  

Cut up veggies as one would use for chili or fajitas (peppers/onions plus broccoli/carrots/mushrooms) would travel fine over a 6 hour trip.

Is there a slow cooker there - or would it be easy to bring one (that you already have)?  Because you could do overnight oatmeal or other grains with that, or various bean/rice types of dishes that you could pretty much measure rice/beans/spices together yourself and have for something really simple. (I wouldn't get one just for the occasion if nobody already uses it.)

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page