foraging on public land in a city - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to start foraging.  I'm think I'll start with dandelions.  They're everywhere, they're highly nutritious, and I feel very safe knowing the difference between them and something else not so non-toxic.  My question is where?  I don't have any yard with them.  How do I know what lawns are safe to take from?  I mean, the fertilizers/pesticides that could potentially be on lawns are potentially far worse than the ones that would be on conventional produce since they don't have to convince anybody that they would be safe to eat, right?  Is there any way I could know where might be safe to forage from in a city?  Also, it's legal, right?  I mean, nobody's going to mind if walk into a public park and pull up a handful of weeds, right?

#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure about your area - but I've seen some foraging-type groups in our city's local harvest (mainly for unattended fruit trees and bushes, but people also mention dandelions and other similar plants).  That might be a good resource for areas that are abundant, watched, and known not to use pesticides.  If you don't find info through that, try starting up something of that nature yourself.  Craigslist/local harvest would both be good places to start.  I'm sure you'd get takers for 'hey, let me pull up your un-sprayed dandelions'.  

Any kind of park service might also be a resource for information or know about interest and safety of local foraging.

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I would never overestimate the generosity of city officials.  They might not want to assume liability for your safety, foraging in public places.  That's a pretty paranoid scenario, but I've been on the receiving end of hyperactive authority figures many, many times.  Not with foraging, though.  But be prepared with the city laws regarding foraging, if any.  Anyhow, that's worst-case-scenario.

Though it's hard to tell in the spring, when you are collecting, whether someplace has been sprayed the previous year, if you are seeing dandelions you can be assured that they haven't sprayed this year, so far at least.  If they are tall and beefy, they probably have had a pretty good life away from the struggles of regrowing after repeated herbicide applications.  No, if I saw healthy dandelions I would be wary about fertilizer runoff from adjacent lawns, urine, and spit.  If people or animals have walked there, there can be feces in piles or tracked on the bottoms of shoes.

Avoid gathering from near ballfields and playgrounds.  In more natural areas, you might be able to see if any paths have been forged around the area.  Directly under trees can collect feces from birds and raccoons and possums.  But look.  Hillsides.  Look at the health of the plants, the diversity of the plant life in the lawns.  That's a good sign of no herbicide activity.  But again, that's the easy one to spot, usually.

Entrenched urban foragers might or might not want to share their favorite spots.  For dandelions, though, I would think you'd get some good help.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

you may want to think about lead in urban areas- I had posted this in Health (and it just played the other day) but they do talk about leafy green plants and those that absorb more lead than other (in urban areas)-  http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2012/05/02/leads-toxic-legacy-in-our-soil/

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page