I want to do some sprouting... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, I don't have any sort of sprouting machine but have heard that you can use things like jars and other household items. Can someone tell me exactly how to sprout things from home?

Joyful mama of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You need to get some screened lids for your jars. You can buy them pretty cheaply either online or if you have a natural food store near you. You could also use cheese cloth and a mason jar ring without the lid part. Put some sprouting seeds in a jar, how much you need depends on the mix but start with like a quarter cup in a quart size jar at most and then work your way up. Most seeds need to be started by soaking for 24 hours. I like to change the water at least once during the soak. After the soak just rinse them 2-3 times a day and then let them drain well (turn the jar upside down in a bowl and just let them stay like that is one technique)

Sprouting is easy and cheap and a great way to eat some super nutritious food on a budget!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

You need to get some screened lids for your jars. You can buy them pretty cheaply either online or if you have a natural food store near you. You could also use cheese cloth and a mason jar ring without the lid part. Put some sprouting seeds in a jar, how much you need depends on the mix but start with like a quarter cup in a quart size jar at most and then work your way up. Most seeds need to be started by soaking for 24 hours. I like to change the water at least once during the soak. After the soak just rinse them 2-3 times a day and then let them drain well (turn the jar upside down in a bowl and just let them stay like that is one technique)
Sprouting is easy and cheap and a great way to eat some super nutritious food on a budget!

Thanks so much Rrrrrachel. I can't wait to start!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM

I use 24 ounce glass jars (leftover pasta sauce jars). For that size, I find that 1 to 2 Tbsp. of seeds are plenty.

I use a scrap of cheesecloth over the top of the jar, held on with an elastic band. A friend uses the plastic mesh bag from onions, folded up a few times and held on with an elastic band. Others buy the screened lids for mason jars or make their own. 

I usually mix seeds - maybe a teaspoon or two of alfalfa, radish, broccoli, red clover.... 

I soak the seeds in the mason jar in about a cup of water for 4 to 6 hours. Then I drain them, using a small sieve held over the top of the jar. You can drain through the cheesecloth, but I find the seeds tend to get caught in the cloth and sometimes get icky if left there. That's why plastic or steel mesh is preferable.

Then just rinse and drain twice a day. I usually rinse them first thing in the morning, while I'm waiting for my coffee and late in the evening, often when I'm tidying up the kitchen before I go to bed. 

For the first 2 or 3 days, I keep the jar on the kitchen counter, but away from the window. On the 3rd or 4th day, after there is some nice growth, I put the jar on the window sill and the sprouts get nice and green. I'll turn the jar around to get the sunlight over a day or so. They are usually well-sprouted by the 3rd or 4th day after I start the seeds. Generally, they last in the refrigerator for about 3 days (maybe longer, they are usually eaten up by then). 

It's very easy and quite tasty! 

Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I use 24 ounce glass jars (leftover pasta sauce jars). For that size, I find that 1 to 2 Tbsp. of seeds are plenty.

I use a scrap of cheesecloth over the top of the jar, held on with an elastic band. A friend uses the plastic mesh bag from onions, folded up a few times and held on with an elastic band. Others buy the screened lids for mason jars or make their own. 

I usually mix seeds - maybe a teaspoon or two of alfalfa, radish, broccoli, red clover.... 

I soak the seeds in the mason jar in about a cup of water for 4 to 6 hours. Then I drain them, using a small sieve held over the top of the jar. You can drain through the cheesecloth, but I find the seeds tend to get caught in the cloth and sometimes get icky if left there. That's why plastic or steel mesh is preferable.

Then just rinse and drain twice a day. I usually rinse them first thing in the morning, while I'm waiting for my coffee and late in the evening, often when I'm tidying up the kitchen before I go to bed. 

For the first 2 or 3 days, I keep the jar on the kitchen counter, but away from the window. On the 3rd or 4th day, after there is some nice growth, I put the jar on the window sill and the sprouts get nice and green. I'll turn the jar around to get the sunlight over a day or so. They are usually well-sprouted by the 3rd or 4th day after I start the seeds. Generally, they last in the refrigerator for about 3 days (maybe longer, they are usually eaten up by then). 

It's very easy and quite tasty! 

Wow, very detailed information. Just what I needed! Thanks so much! I can't wait to start.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM

I've sprouted with only a colander--just make sure it's fine mesh type, not one with large holes like for draining pasta..  First soak your seeds (lentils are nice sprouted!) overnight in a bowl/pot then in the morning dump into the colander rinse well. Place colander on the counter and just rinse every 4-8 hours till you get the sprouts you want! easy!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

I've sprouted with only a colander--just make sure it's fine mesh type, not one with large holes like for draining pasta..  First soak your seeds (lentils are nice sprouted!) overnight in a bowl/pot then in the morning dump into the colander rinse well. Place colander on the counter and just rinse every 4-8 hours till you get the sprouts you want! easy!

Thanks so much! I will definitely try the colander method.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Where do you get the seeds?  Can you just sprout any old lentils I have around? 

Mom to DSfemalesling.GIF 13mo.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 AM

You can try! Depending on their age and how they've been stored they may not sprout well, though. I order mine from frontier, but most natural food stores should carry some sprouting seeds.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp135 View Post

Where do you get the seeds?  Can you just sprout any old lentils I have around? 

The natural food grocery in my neighbourhood has a variety of seeds, including some mixes, for sprouting. The company is called "Mumm's". They are in small 4 oz packages, grouped together on a display stand. A friend orders on-line from the company and gets his seeds in bulk. 

I haven't tried using lentils or beans from the large bags from the grocery store. I know people who do, but I think the yield is sometimes poor.  

Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM

If you use a colander, be sure to use a thin muslin or even thin cotton cloth to keep the seeds covered and to retain dampness. I sometimes use paper towels. My husband keeps stealing my sprouting cloths for general cleaning, sigh!

I only sprout until I see the shoots are of the same length as the seed. My husband has a hard enough time with accepting that. Let's get him to used to that first, is my objective.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I bought some broccoli and alfalfa sprouting seeds at the Natural Foods store AND those sprouting lids that go on top of mason jars. I started a couple days ago. The lids make it REALLY easy.

How long does the process take again? How do I know when they are ready?

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM

They're ready whenever you feel like eating them, rally! It takes at least 2-3 days in my experience. Once you think they look tasty you can,one them to the fridge, but they don't keep super well and are best fresh!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

I bought some broccoli and alfalfa sprouting seeds at the Natural Foods store AND those sprouting lids that go on top of mason jars. I started a couple days ago. The lids make it REALLY easy.

How long does the process take again? How do I know when they are ready?

To get an alfalfa sprout that looks like what you might buy in the store, I think it takes more like 5 days.  You should definitely see some growth within the first 2-3 days.  Then, when the little cotyledons (look like little leaves) come out, you can put them in the light to green up for a day or two.  I often let them grow for a week from the first soak, but start eating them on day 4 or 5...put anything that's left on day 7 in the fridge.

I'm sure grow time depends on the age of the seeds, the temperature of the environment, etc.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

The broccoli sprouts are amazing! Thanks so much for all of the help.

Joyful mama of 3.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List