chocolate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i am no longer in denial - i am literally addicted to chocolate. it's bad. i *KNOW* how to eat well, and I do. I really, truly do. I have a wonderful diet that is flavourful, rich in nutrients, full of a variety of whole foods. I don't eat refined sugars or flours. (really, i don't). I don't even eat dairy! I'm mosty vegetarian! I love vegetables! but it's this CHOCOLATE! It's bad enough that i eat some every single day. I eat it to the point of feeling ill sometimes too. it's like i have no control over how much chocolate i eat. other foods i have no problem stopping when i'm full. there are lots of desserts/sweets that i have no problem saying "no thanks" too. but chocolate....never. and i'm not even picky about it. i'll eat low quality chocolate if that's what around.

so:

1. can someone explain this to me? why am i so addicted to it?
  2. how can i quit? should i go cold turkey? for how long? what are some methods you've used to combat cravings for chocolate?
  3. would anyone like to join me on a chocolate fast? maybe we could start a support thread to stay accountable to each other?

i'm at the end of my rope with this. i truly feel like it's the only "thing" standing between me and the last 5-10lb of baby weight i'm carrying around for no good reason. plus, i really don't feel good about the fact that it's noon and i've already eaten more chocolate than should be consumed by one person in a week. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know how you feel unfortunatly.  And, sugar can be very addictive.  Check out mercola.com and his articles on sugar addiction,  here is one I recently read  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/26/sugar-affects-leptin-signals.aspx?e_cid=20120526_DNL_art_2

I find that not having any of the snack food in the house period is the only thing that works for me.  If I see it in the cupboard, I grab it, if someone else is eating it, I take a bite, I just cant stop myself.  But if its not there, I cant eat it.  Also, going to the store right after i've eaten a big lunch so I am not at all hungry helps me pass by the snack foods.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

what do you do for yourself?

how do you get your me time?

do you keep them in the house. if you dont have them do you have to go out to get them?

the answer is not easy. cold turkey is not for all. chocolate is just one part of the puzzle. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What percentage are you getting? A good 70 or 85% bar is much harder for me to overindulge in than milk chocolate. I actually don't like the sweetness of milk so I very rarely eat it, but then when I do I can end up eating the whole thing.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meemee View Post

what do you do for yourself?

how do you get your me time?

do you keep them in the house. if you dont have them do you have to go out to get them?

the answer is not easy. cold turkey is not for all. chocolate is just one part of the puzzle. 

This is totally right, part of what my problem is is that it helps me relax, wind down, makes me feel good, and helps with stress.  So yeah, there is most definitly a cause, a trigger, a reason, in my case.  Usually I only indulge during nap time and when kids are alsleep for the night, but if I am stressed during the day I grab a few chocolate almonds, and if DD sees I have to give her one too.  I've always dealt with my problems by eating (I'm shocked that I'm not overweight, I think if I were not breastfeeding, I would be a lot heavier), growing up, a treat was the solution to everything, if you were sick, hurt, as a reward, or as just an every night after dinner thing when everyone was relaxing in front of the TV before bed.  So, I think that is a big part of why I feel and act the way that I do about treats.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM

I eat chocolate every day.  I buy a nice, super-dark chocolate bar or two each week when I shop and I have a piece or two every day, usually after lunch. 

Do you need to quit chocolate, or do you need to quit eating so much junk chocolate?

It's so easy for me to slip into being horribly mean to myself, and I've started to notice that certain "out-of-control" behaviors go hand in hand with a lack of carefulness with my own feelings. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

growing up, a treat was the solution to everything,

you know that is not so bad. esp. for poor parents food/snacks/candy is the easiest treat to give. 

however eating as a emotional therapy IS a very common problem.

eating because you are bored is a common issue. 

eating because you have nothing else really to do is also a common problem. 

for me this is my tactic - i overindulge HUGELY. i loved these chips and i wanted to stop eating them. so i got this giant bag and forced myself to eat it. ugh. it took me years to eat them again.

i used to be a soda freak. big time. i knew it was bad. so i gave it up and started drinking soda water with a little lemonade in them. but i did NOT give in to my indulgence for two months. it kinda went away. doesnt mean i have stopped. i just dont crave it the way i did before. 

so when you sit in front of the TV dress up a cold glass of water. sometimes its the dressing up that matters. not really the taste. put a slice of lime/lemon and a sprig of mint. or substitute with whatever is available. and spend a couple of minutes of doing nothing but just savoring the water. or whatever you want to replace chocolate with. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 PM

THose are good ideas.  I think another good alternative to pop is kombucha!  I love GT Daves Enlightened line, they taste so good!  I have never had a soda probem thank goodness lol but I think for someone who wants to give it up but still have that sweet carbonated feel and taste, kombucha :)

Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:

THose are good ideas.  I think another good alternative to pop is kombucha!  I love GT Daves Enlightened line, they taste so good!  I have never had a soda probem thank goodness lol but I think for someone who wants to give it up but still have that sweet carbonated feel and taste, kombucha :)

you are absolutely right orngbiggrin.gif I kicked the soda habit by drinking kombucha. home made kombucha made with raw sugar and sucanate. yuuuuuuum. better than soda. i love it strong and really fizzy so i make it to my taste. i love the after kick. 

Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Have you tried making your own chocolate using natural cocoa powder, coconut cream and stevia (refrigerate/freeze)? It would eliminate the sugar but still satisfy the craving and before you know it, the chocolate addiction should be cured. I am doing the same thing right now because I get nasty about needing chocolate when I crave it. I can bake a cake, cookies and brownies and devour it all in a few days.

Here is a great link to help you out (well two links)

http://www.damyhealth.com/category/damy-treats/

http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/02/the-sugar-detox/

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is totally right, part of what my problem is is that it helps me relax, wind down, makes me feel good, and helps with stress.  So yeah, there is most definitly a cause, a trigger, a reason, in my case.  Usually I only indulge during nap time and when kids are alsleep for the night, but if I am stressed during the day I grab a few chocolate almonds, and if DD sees I have to give her one too.  I've always dealt with my problems by eating (I'm shocked that I'm not overweight, I think if I were not breastfeeding, I would be a lot heavier), growing up, a treat was the solution to everything, if you were sick, hurt, as a reward, or as just an every night after dinner thing when everyone was relaxing in front of the TV before bed.  So, I think that is a big part of why I feel and act the way that I do about treats.

Bolding mine. These are bigger issues than chocolate. I am NOT saying "bad" issues, just issues - cultural, emotional, familiar... So I think, for you, if it was not chocolate, it would be ice cream, or potato chips, or diet coke or substitute your poison here. I think it is complicated. Just having a substitute would not be a solution. You need to find multiple substitutions. You need to find other things.

For example, think of other things that you would like to help you relax or wind down. Maybe it would be a place to meditate, or just a few stretching exercises, or hide yourself away and dance around to one of your favorite songs. Now look at being sick or hurt. As a chill d you were given a treat. Do you need a food treat for being hurt? Or do you just need to acknowledge that D*MN, that hurt! Or talk with your spouse or friend and them to acknowledge your pain with some kind words and a hug? Lastly, I would find something where you can still have chocolate - where the chocolate is for chocolate sake, and not a solution to something. I say this as a chocolate lover. 

Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

wow! awesome awesome input. thanks everyone. funnily enough, the day i wrote that post my husband apologized (out of the blue) about not helping me have "me" time lately. we just moved into our own house and when he gets home from work he's often busy with house repairs/landscaping etc. which is so awesome because he's working hard and being helpfull and handy etc. BUT that means that i'm home with the baby all day and then i'm inside with the baby all evening. i haven't complained to him about it because really, it's not like he's playing video games or out at the bar with his buddies or something. he's at home working on our house!!

but lovely man that he is, he encouraged me to remind him i need a few hours a week to go for a run or have a bath etc. so that was awesome!

i have to run, but have lots more to say in response to some of your comments so will continue later.

thanks again for the input! keep the ideas coming! :)

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Chocolate isn't all bad. It depends on what chocolate you eat and how much. You might try switching to plain dark chocolate or with something good in it like nuts. I read that Heath bars are high in anti-oxidents and are a good choice. Don't keep much or any around the house. I don't go out much so when I do go to the pharmacy or store I may pick up chocolate once a week. I don't feel too bad about that. If you have chocolate around the house you are more likely to emotionally eat. It sets a good example for your kids to not have candy around the home.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

If you say you eat junk chocolate also....I suspect this is more of a "chocolate flavoured sugar" addiction than an actual chocolate addiction.  I could have written your post!

What about coffee?  Sometimes non-coffee drinkers get addicted to chocolate because they are sensitive to the caffeine in the chocolate (albeit minimal).

I agree with other posters to only eat the very very dark chocolate in small amounts and to also check the sugar content first - read the labels!  And purge the house of the junk.  If you retrain your taste buds by cutting out sweets (in my experience, stevia only masks the addiction to the sweet flavour), then the root of the problem is addressed and the taste buds (and brain) can learn to love lower sugar treats instead.

The other thing I've done has been to "add value" to my chocolate.  E.g. black bean brownies contain fiber also (but they are just as addictive and unhealthy due to sugar content....).

Also, I try to have lots of fruit and healthy snacks available instead of the chocolate.  I buy frozen berries and pull some out and put in a bowl and snack on them when I can.

So my suggestion is a 2 step phase:

1.  Eliminate the sugary chocolate and only eat very dark chocolate (85% or more) with low sugar content.  Don't use artificial sweeteners or this will backfire.  When needing a sweet fix, choose fresh fruit instead.

2. Once you're used to the less sweet chocolate, re-evaluate and gradually cut it back if you think you need to.

In my experience, cold turkey backfires.  But retraining the taste buds is a more sustainable solution.

Good luck and, on behalf of all us fellow chocolate addicts, thanks for this post!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Chocolate is very high in magnesium. If you are mostly vegetarian then you are probably at least somewhat deficient as most meats are quite high in magnesium. Do you enjoy doing your own research on health? If so, look into the Weston A. Price foundation. This will give you tons of info about our common health problems in relation to our current Standard American Diet(sad) I noticed someone mentioned mercola's website. Wonderful place to get great health info as well! Good luck with this!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Hi, I too have struggled with this.  A large scoop of peanut butter with jam or honey is very helpful!  Also, I ONLY allow myself to eat chocolate between 11-2p.m.  Always keep dark chocolate (high quality) in the house.  And get to sleep earlier, you could be eating so much because you are just tired!smile.gif

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Magnesium!  When I use transdermal magnesium, I don't crave chocolate.  I still love it, but I don't "need" it.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I feel your pain, been working on this issue for a LONG time.  I am now certain it's a sugar-based addiction but through therapy, that the sugar issue is a coping mechanism in place for many other reasons.  It's often to simple to look at any addiction directly, there are often many other reasons for it to manifest.  An interesting read you might want to try, "Constant Craving".  Best of luck, battle on!  And know that you are not alone!

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Funny thing, I just recieved this article http://newsletter.vitalchoice.com/e_article002447340.cfm?x=blc47JJ%2cbsdj0rB2 in a newsletter that I get.  I think I will get the book.  I am having a hard time, I just am not sure if I want to give up my addiction yet (my poison is ice cream specifically, I love chocolate almonds too tho shy.gif), I know that sounds horrible to say, but like wookumus said, there are lots of reasons behind an addiction (I know mine is an addiction anyway, maybe others just like it, but I think about it and crave it all the time, and have an attachment to it, I know thats horrible, it sounds ridiculous to me, my saying it, but I have come to the conclusion that it is true), and I feel like the ice cream helps me get through my day, helps me feel good, better, helps me relax.  I dont have anyone to help me deal with this, so I have to be ready and want to give it up and be accountable to myself.  And maybe this book will help me decide it IS TIME, this is ENOUGH. 

Anyway, thanks for this thread, it has given me a much needed push in the direction of quitting.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

If you say you eat junk chocolate also....I suspect this is more of a "chocolate flavoured sugar" addiction than an actual chocolate addiction.  I could have written your post!

What about coffee?  Sometimes non-coffee drinkers get addicted to chocolate because they are sensitive to the caffeine in the chocolate (albeit minimal).

ummmm hell-o! you just hit the nail on the head there. it's true - it is more of a chocolate flavoured sugar addiction! i always thought i was better than the average sweet-tooth because i don't care much for straight up candy but....chocolate can be full of sugar (with the added bonus of fat!) so it's just as "bad". also, i don't drink coffee and i had NEVER made that connection before, but it's so true! my 6 month old isn't a great sleeper and i am in a permanent state of sleep deprivation (i know, i know, what mom isn't?) so i'm constantly looking for something too eat that will make me feel better. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veslemor View Post

Magnesium!  When I use transdermal magnesium, I don't crave chocolate.  I still love it, but I don't "need" it.

interesting! it's so funny how we can *know* something but not realize it's applicable to us until someone else points it out! it's kind of embarrassing (since i'm the one who started this thread) but i'm actually a holistic nutritionist. if someone were to come to me with a chocolate addiction, i'd have an action plan for them asap. and i'd easily make connections like - do you drink coffee? or are you getting enough magnesium? but for me? i'm at a total loss. i needed you all to point out the obvious for me! :) so thanks!

i am going to drink yerbe mate tea for a bit of a pick-me-up and hopefully curb my need for chocolate as a energy booster and i am going to start a magnesium supplement right away. 

another thing i need to start doing: making myself a good, healthy, delicious and satisfying lunch. i find when i eat scraps for "lunch" i am waaaaaay more likely to indulge in junk later. easier said than done, but i'm really going to try and make a good lunch a priority. 

we'll see how it goes! thanks again for all the help, encouragement and suggestions!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Dark chocolate is actually good for you, if you just eat a small piece of it everyday.

I eat one small piece of dark chocolate every afternoon. 

For it to do any good, it needs to be natural cacao, not the Dutch processed chocolate, and milk chocolate doesn't do you any good either.  Only dark chocolate will actually help your cardiovascular system.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List