Digestive Enzymes.. help with a few questions please. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My daughter has quite a few allergies (dairy, gluten, corn, egg, nuts) and also not prone to putting on weight even though I try and feed her a decent amount of food every day. So I figured digestive enzymes may be the answer since it seems like she is not absorbing the food she is eating.

After a lot of research and help from here we bought her the TriEnza powder http://www.houston-enzymes.com/store/product.php?c=1&p=4

Even though the dosage says 1/4 tsp or more.. since she is only 3 yrs old I put about 1/10 of a tsp in her food (rice and lamb soup and vegetables) and it took me 10 mins to have her prepped and all. When I saw the bowl after 10 mins.. most all the rice was gone and it was mostly liquid. Also it tasted sweet. I  was scared out of my wits!!!!

So during dinner I gave her a very small amount 1/20 tsp. Yet after dinner she said she was hungry and asked for a allergy-free cupcake and some rice milk.... I also thought (imagined) that she was acting a bit irritable and excited.

Now the questions:

1. If it is so powerful and liquefies the food so quickly and completely - would it not harm the intestines and gut when given before a meal with water (she takes no beverages)? I feel like it will make holes in her gut lining.. seemed so powerful.

2. I don't think my DD's digestion is waaay off. I would like to give her a small scoop (like the Custom Probiotic small scoop) from now on and only once (before lunch). Now the way I read is - I need to give the digestive enzymes before EVERY meal for them to work. But can I get away with a small dose just once a day.... I feel she needs just a little push not a lot.

3. About her excitable and irritable behavior - would the enzymes have caused it? How? they should not have anything that is neuro-toxic (like L-Glutamine) should they? Anyone have a similar experience with enzymes?

TIA

#2 of 2 Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I don't have any info to share but I noticed your post and thought I'd bump up to see if anyone has any advice. thumb.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page