Would you let your 8 month old eat this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you met your 8 month old eat organic puffs (finger food for babies)? She pretty much just taste and plays, doesnt really eat. Only booby juice!!
I don't want any fame crap going into her but cant really tell by the ingredients what is good and what isn't since its all supposedly 'USDA organic' approved.
This is what i am talking about:

[=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NXM3GM][/]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Sure. In fact, I'd let my 5-6 month old eat that.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The link wouldnt work for me.  But no I wouldnt feed my kids any organic puffs as grains are not digested by babies, Happy Baby uses GMO's in some of their products so I dont trust them at all, and Plum Organics adds sugar.  Those are the only 2 makers of organic puffs that I know of.   They also add synthetic vitamins to their puffs which are obviously not good, they are synthetic!  No, you cant necessarily trust the USDA organic label.  They do allow synthetics that are often created with GMO's, etc.  And sugar can be organic, but is NOT good for you, especially not good for a baby!!

#4 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Post didn't work for me, but no, I would not give a baby processed food. Why lead them down the road to junk food? Let your child eat real foods. Here's some information on child-led solids. http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!! My mil was the one who bought it for her not me. I told her no without giving a reason... I am doing baby-led solids and they just cannot comprehend this.
I used those words exactly 1love4ever!! Sugar can be organic but i am not giving it to her. Anyway thanks for everyone's imput and I am glad I followed my heart.
#6 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Hmmm, I did baby-led solids and my kid sure did eat plenty of puffs. I dont see how that has anything to do with BLW.

By definition:
Baby Led Weaning, quite simply, means letting your child feed themselves from the very start of weaning.

Letting kids eat puffs and small kiddo snack foods is letting them eat themselves. I wouldnt do it all the time, but it's great for outings and times where you dont want to carry messy food around with you.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey OP, we're doing baby led solids too.  I dont eat puffs lol, so no we dont give them to babe either!   With my daugher (my first), i didnt know about Baby led, so I did the whole baby food  pain in the butt thing, and I did give her both brands of organic puffs on the market.  Like a PP said, I do think it sets them on the path to junk food!  Thats what it is, processed ingredients, synthetics, sugars, etc.  We're doing no sugar and no juice til 1 year with DS (7 months) currently so it wouldnt work for us anyway, but having fed them to my other child, I can tell you that  I wouldnt do it again.

When I want to bring my kids a snack, I bring berries, banana, orange, carrots, nuts, dried fruit, etc.   i've bought this brand of crackers and cereal before (the ones without agave in it!)  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lydias+organics&sprefix=lydias%2Caps%2C151

#8 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I let my baby eat those when offered by someone else, but I never bought them.  I didn't want to get him in the habit of eating crunchy snacky foods instead of whole foods.  (He's 7 now and has had plenty of influences toward that habit, without starting at home as an infant!!)  When I did offer crunchy snacky foods, they were things my partner and I eat (like low-sugar cereals and--after 1 year old--whole-wheat sesame sticks) rather than anything bought especially for him.

Watching my friend's 15-month-old eat puffs recently, I noticed that a lot were wasted because they're so lightweight, they were very difficult for her to control.  Just waving her arms could blow them off the table!  Of course SHE was happy to eat them off the floor covered with cat hair, but her mom was not so keen....

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#9 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM

It is the cost of those darn things that I don't like. I'd rather serve baby some pureed steak, at that price!

#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 AM

We did not buy them when DD was a baby. Actually, her favorite finger food as a baby was diced kiwis! I did allow her to have Trader Joe's Organic 'Cheerios' occasionally, but that was very rare, especially at that age.  She was still primarily BF at that age, solids were mostly fruits and vegetables: banana, applesauce, avocado, things like that.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page