popcorn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got a whirlypop stove top aluminum popcorn popper.  So, two questions... is the aluminum a bad choice? 

And, how do I make good popcorn... specifically, what kind of oil (healthy)?  I did manage to get non GMO kernals at least :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Yum-a-yum. lurk.gif

I don't know about the aluminum pot, but others do so hopefully they'll be along soon.

For the oil, I use coconut oil. It adds a great subtle flavor to the popcorn (not coconut-y) and I have found that I use less butter and salt now than when I used vegetable oil.

PS-You don't need to use a special popcorn pot to make the popcorn. I use a regular pot and just keep shaking it as the corn pops (in case the aluminum doesn't works out). 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM

I just use a pot, too. 

I don't know about the best oil, but I do know that cooking it quickly, at high heat, and making sure to let excess steam out makes nice crunchy popcorn.  I used to have trouble with the popcorn seeming a bit stale, and doing those 2 things solved it.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 06-07-2012, 04:37 PM

WE just use a large pot with a lid too.  The trick I learned is to put three kernels in while the oil gets hot and once the pop, put in the rest of the kernels. 

I've always just used olive oil and it tastes great!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

we have a whirlypop-I have three! AND yes there are times I use them all at once- saves having to wait to clean in between patches- I got all three at flea markets-all never used with the booklet- less than $5.00 total and found all within about a month of each other--just really weird- I had planned to give one but had a need to make for an event and found it to be really helpful to have them

we love them!

it is 3 tbsp to 1/2 cup of corn (I have no problem finding organic corn-sold at lots of places)

we use mostly bacon fat or olive oil if out

it's hardly and issue for us the aluminum-given it spends mere minutes in it- we HATE air poped and no to microwave, besides the system works far better vs a covered pan- a lot less time as well 

you add the oil, get it hot and wait until you see "heat" on the oil, add the corn and when it starts, you turn until it stops popping- usually less than a minute once popping starts- it goes super fast- glove your hand it gets hot and make sure you have the lid on correctly! lurk.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List