Mothering Forum banner

Throw some ideas for home - cooked baby food at me

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  tonttu 
#1 ·
I am searching for some yummi ideas for homemade baby food for my 7 month old daughter .

I am not a vegetarian , but I do buy and consume meat very consciously , and I´d welcome any kind of tipps and recipes .

She has no allergies or any other problems , so the sky´s the limit !
biggrinbounce.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh! What a fun stage! Mostly though, we just fed DS what we ate. It kept us eating really well, and I got really creative with spices! Let's see... we did mostly veggies and grains with DS until he was a little older. I do remember that he LOVED Indian food. So, I cooked a lot of mild curries. Other favorites were sweet potatoes with tarragon , roasted beets (roasted any veggie actually), quinoa, grits, brown rice balls were a total hit (and great for fine motor skills)... When he was a little older I started making egg and brown rice/quinoa pancakes with greens in them almost every morning until I couldn't stand to look at an egg!

What is the weather like where you are? What is fresh? Our DS was 7mos in the fall, so most everything was cooked in the oven to help heat the house. I think if I had to think about this now for me, I would choose differently. Cucumbers, melons,spinach, and still beets, carrots and the grains.

Mmmmm!

#5 ·
I was a somewhat lazy mother. We mainly fed the kids:

* Congee (rice porridge) also known as "juk" 粥 - w/ meat or veg or fish in it

* Egg yolk (boil an egg, take out the yolk, add a teaspoon of warm water. Mush it up. Spoon feed).

- mashed soft veg

- mashed potatoes

Sometimes when my kids were eying what I ate, I would pre-masticate, put it on a spoon, and give them a bite or two.

#6 ·
We liked lots of avocado here. Avocado on its own, mashed with banana or carrots or beans once we added them.

We also made lots of fresh fruit or veggie purees and froze them. I'd typically add one spice: pear & cardamom, apple and cinnamon, sweet potato and cumin, carrot and cumin.

Our other standby puree was brown rice made very mushy and some assortment of fruit purees. Once she was eating dairy we'd mix full fat yogurt in too. DH is really looking forward to sharing those breakfasts with DD2!

#8 ·
When my dd was younger she really liked egg yolks. Now she's 12 months old and loves steamed fish and rice. She also likes meat (I chew it up for her). She has never liked purees, but will eat shreds of carrot, cucumber, squashes when I feed her from my plate.

#9 ·
No real recipe for the rice balls. I just made sticky brown rice and put it through a baby food mill and rolled it into balls. Sometimes we would add a spice or two, then roll it into little balls. Other times I would mix another veggie into the rice mixture (but just a little so that it was still sticky enough to roll into balls), or roll the finished balls in crushed kale chips, dried parsley, and such. If I had the patience to roll up a bunch of little balls... my DS would be entertained for ever trying to pick them up and put them in bowls and stacks and in his mouth (they can be really sticky and fun to play with as well as eat). This would give me time to get the rest of dinner fixed, or the animals fed, or just some great photo opts! But, like I said, they can be really sticky. We would cover the table with oil cloth or a couple of the rubbery place mats, after we figured out how hard it was to scrub off the table and wash out the cloth place mats!

I also second the avocado and beans! These were also big hits, for all of us.

#11 ·
We did babyled weaning as well- no purees here
smile.gif
oddly enough, my ds really liked Indian food too... we mostly just fed him what we ate after the first little bit. He loved egg yolks (and is still an egg head
smile.gif
) and meat too... he would gnaw and gum until the meat was white, lol. He liked sushi too (cooked stuff). The rolls were easy for him to pick up, and fun to play with

#12 ·
We had a hand-powered food grinder, which made it really easy to convert part of our meal into baby food.

One of my son's favorite foods was 3 parts black beans + 1 part spaghetti sauce put through the grinder together. High in iron, with some Vitamin C to help absorb it!

#13 ·
My little Miss has been getting a mix of whatever Mama eats and some food I make for her. She LOVES avocado, sweet potatoes and yams (both), pears, apples, peaches, oatmeal, yogurt and Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, roasted chicken (cut very small or whizzed in the processor), roasted pork (cut very small or whizzed in the processor), scrambled eggs, prunes, roasted potatoes, peas, carrots, green beans, OK, this list is just getting too long!

I also feed her things like brown rice pilaf (with onions, broccolini and carrots), quinoa salad (with chili pepper, onions and pepitas), lentil salad (with cucumbers and red peppers and feta and yogurt, oh yeah!)... all of those I whizz for a quick minute in the food processor to make the bigger crunchier bits smaller and mushier for her to chew with her two tiny teeth.

She also loves beans, and I love watching her Papa change her pants after I gave her beans.

This morning, for breakfast, she had quite a bit of my scrambled eggs and chard, she had quite a bit of her own yogurt and blackberry and banana mix, and then a small piece of banana bread as well. And several enormous gulps of water. And then she nursed an hour later. Hah! Hungry little critter.

We have no food allergies in our family, so after she was about 8 months old I just started worrying about choking and botulism, and nothing else. Although I still have not given peanut butter, I will wait a few more months for that.

Edited to add/ She also loved veggie ziti, with all garden veggies, tomato sauce and whole wheat penne. And I made SLoppy Joe recently with grass fed beef, mushrooms (about 1:1) and TONS of veggies, and she went face-down in that.

#15 ·
My first DD didn't get any teeth until 15 months and the baby doesn't have any yet either, at 8 months. So we do soft food for a long time!

Mostly steamed veggies that we mash with a fork and some butter and salt (I'm too lazy to deal with cleaning a food processor).

Potato/broccoli mash: Steam broccoli, boil potato, mash together with salt and olive oil

Sugar snap peas and carrots are both very nice steamed and mashed with butter/salt. I think cauliflower is good like this too but babe didn't like it.

Roasted sweet potato

Avocado

Homemade rice/lentil cereal (wash 1 cup each rice and lentils and toast lightly in a dry pan, then grind to coarse powder separately (lentils are much harder than rice) and mix, powder stores indefinitely in fridge). Boil 1 heaping tbsp with 1/2 cup water and a pinch of salt until mushy. I like to throw in some spinach shreds or the tops of the broccoli flowers while it cooks for a little green.

#16 ·
I don't have the recipe handy, but I remember making a lentil stew for dd1. She really like it. I cooked the lentils (in more water than one would normallyl use) very, very soft, with a few small pieces of (over) cooked carrot. There also some herbs, but I can't remember what...thyme, I think? This one is very soft, but not mashed...but it could be mashed quite easily.

Somewhere, I have a list of foods for babies that I got at the Breastfeeding Challenge a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Somewhere, I have a list of foods for babies that I got at the Breastfeeding Challenge a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.
It would be great , if you could find that for me !

And thanks for the brown rice balls recipe , they were great !

Honey I don´t give yet , either , haven´t tried avocado , since I am not a huge fan , but the idea sounds good , soft and nutricious with not much flavor to it , sounds like the perfect baby food
orngbiggrin.gif

The lentils are a great idea as well , there are actually quite a few now , that make wonder " why didn´t OI think of that ?"
thumb.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.