Help! Birthday party food for EVERYONE! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My middle daughter is turning 6 and we are having about 20 kids (and their mamas) come to our neighborhood pool for a couple of hours.  Low key, right?  No!  My children are dairy-free and I have great recipes for vegan buttercream and cupcakes that are always a hit.  :-)

However, other guests range from gluten-free, to raw, to sugar-crazed.  I would like to have a table full of snacks for all, but what do I make??

My time is limited and I have the dairy-free thing down to a science, but I want ALL the children to feel included and, well, like it is a party.  I don't want a single child to feel how MY girls do when they can't have the birthday cake. 

Please help, I am at a loss!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 AM

Do you have a food budget?  Are you serving a meal or just snacks and cake?

Pretzels

popcorn

bottled waters or juice pouches

veggies/dip

cheese and crackers

Would any of those options work? 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Fruit kebabs (or simply fruit salad).  You could do a simple dip, or even just have honey out if you like.

Ditto on popcorn, veggies & dip.

Maybe olives and/or pickles (on toothpicks to be 'fancy')

Hummus & pita, or black bean dip & tortillas for something more filling.

I think, so long as you have 1-2 options that may fit into each eating restriction, that's plenty to accommodate someone.  If your frosting is gluten-free (but cupcakes not), you could consider leaving some out for the fruit (for those who are gluten-free).  I'm not totally sure about something 'extra nice' that's raw - but you could just make sure you ask first and have some favorite fruits/veggies of theirs at minimum.  

Make sure there are non-food extra fun treats/games/fun at the party.  I almost think that makes more of a difference for kids, anyway.

#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! 

Fruit... of some kind.  Watermelon, grapes, maybe orange slices.

Hummus and veggies

Pretzels/ potato chips (not healthy, but it will serve.  The chips would be gluten-free.)

Dairy-free cupcakes and maybe a few gluten-free ones?

I am not planning on serving a meal, just snacks, but kids get soooo hungry swimming.  Will this be enough?  Maybe there should be something else hearty?

Ooh, and olives, I really liked that idea, too!  :-)

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM

A dairy gluten free cupcake(you could easily buy the betty crocker gluten free mix and use almond or soy milk in place of the reg milk)

Fruit chunks(even just apple slices and grapes)

veggies

hummus

pita

salsa

corn tortilla chips(not multi grain) then your covered gluten free for dipping in salsa and hummus

trail mix

popcorn

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennatsi View Post

I am not planning on serving a meal, just snacks, but kids get soooo hungry swimming.  Will this be enough?  Maybe there should be something else hearty?

I used to offer lots of food at birthday parties. The kids would take a few bites and leave half-full plates. After a few parties, I realized that I was just throwing most of the food into the compost bin. I disliked the waste. 

If the party is just a couple of hours long and there are lots of activities, I found we didn't need much food at all. Aside from the cake, a couple of trays of fruit and cheese and crackers, and maybe a few other snacks (popcorn, pretzels) was plenty. Even then, I'd often be left with plates of half-eaten cake. 

If the party extends over a typical mealtime - say it starts at 11:00 a.m and goes to 3 or 4 p.m, or starts in the afternoon and goes past 5 or 6 p.m - then you may want to serve something heartier. Normal appetites and routines will kick in and the kids may be hungrier. Otherwise, I think what you are planning sounds fine. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page