If you cannot afford good meats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Then do you avoid them altogether? I normall buy from Trader Joe's, the cheapest they have because it is what we can afford, however, I just found out they are treated with antibiotics. eyesroll.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We definitely eat less meat to be able to keep our grocery spending reasonable although 'less meat' for us is going from 2 pounds per meal to 1 pound per meal for six people. I know some people try to use meat as a condiment but I haven't been able to do that. I also try to do a paleo style diet and can't eat gluten so that narrows our meat free options. I've also been doing more with less expensive cuts (ground beef and chicken legs). It sounds worse than conventional meat but there are some nice organic hot dogs out there that are high fat but reasonably healthy and inexpensive. I was able to order 8 scratch chickens from a farmer for about $100, one chicken lasts for a couple dinners plus a pot of soup. We're looking into buying a side of beef. 

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I really think buying from farmers is the way to go. Such as the side of beef you guys are thinking of buying. Now I just need to do some research as to where I can find a local farm that can do that.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

I'd cut costs in other areas first. Bake my own bread, stop buying any convenience foods, cut out or down on cheese, etc. Quality of meat is the last thing I'd sacrifice in my food budget. We budget a meat portion all year and buy it buy the side in the fall. Much cheaper that way, IME.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM

we buy from hunters who end up with more than they want to keep. an uncle will bring a few deer to the processor, and several of us in the family will order one. it's about $60 in my area for one deer to be processed. look into that...some processing places will get animals dropped off and never picked up and need to get rid of that meat so look into that, also, but that may depend on some state law. there is also turkey and hog seasons here but sadly i do not know anyone who hunts those or we'd be all set with meat!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List