16 month old refusing to eat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 16 month old son has 4 teeth (only 1 all the way through).  At 15.5 months he didn't have any and he was a pretty good eater (I spoonfed him the majority of his food but he also ate a variety of finger foods as well).  Now he won't let me feed him.  He wants to do it himself but he barely eats.  He takes forever to eat the smallest piece of food and then often ends up throwing everything onto the floor.  He doesn't feed himself with a spoon yet (although he is beginning to try a little).  I'm concerned about him because he is already thin and he used to eat WAY more than this.  Yesterday and today he's barely had anything at all.  I'm just wondering what other people do to help with issues like this?  As an aside he is still breastfeeding on demand and usually feeds upon waking, once in the am, before and often during his afternoon nap and before bed and sometimes 1-2 times throughout the night.  The only other thing he drinks is water from a sippy cup and he really doesn't drink much water at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Kids go through stubborn phases... I'd keep offering him new and different things, sit down and have a meal all together at the table, and try to make sure he''s not filling up on milk/water. Milk isn't bad, but you can offer it after dinner, etc. If you're concerned about his weight, you could always do a weight check and talk to a nutritionist about giving his food an extra calorie boost by using olive oil, avocado, etc.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Hey! I've been browsing because I am in the same boat with my 16 month old (although she has 12 teeth). Ate like a champ until recently where she nibbles here and there on meats, cheese, fruit and veggies but would carb overload if we let her. Im inclined to thibk its a phase but its still a bit unnerving. Was curious how things played out for you and if u had any tips/suggestions? Thank u!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page