Healthy lunch ideas for a crowd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today is our last day of school and starting tomorrow I will have 8 children in my house to feed (my 5 and 3 that I look after).  I need some lunch ideas that are healthy, kid friendly, easy to prepare and won't break the bank.  We don't have any food restrictions or allergies so all ideas are welcome!  Thanks in advance! smile.gif

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm guessing your also looking for things that you can make in advance/serve quickly. My suggestions are

-Pasta-cold pasta salad,macaroni salad

-Pb banana wraps sliced like sushi

-Fruit salad

-Veggies and dip

-Apple slices

-Egg salad sandwiches

-Egg fritata

-Frozen perogi casserole. I boil perogis then toss them in a casserole dish with canned tomatoes,chickpeas,corn,and seasonings then bake it. You can add grated cheese on top and melt it

-Quesadillas

-Corn dog muffins(not the healthiest but lots of fun(we do ours w veggie dogs)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Homemade mac and cheese (do a big batch and freeze into one lunch portions)  For veg you can buy a giant bag of fresh spinich and stir it into the sauce until it wilts before mixing with the noodles. 

Hmmm, I thought I'd have lots of ideas and then realized they were better suited to winter than summer (chili, soup, etc.)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

I'm guessing your also looking for things that you can make in advance/serve quickly. My suggestions are

Yes, definitely things I can make ahead of time and just pull out.  I'll be very busy keeping 8 kids entertained and I won't have a lot of time for prepping lunches and snacks.  If I can do some of it the night before that's awesome.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM

pasta salads - our favorite & easiest is just pasta tossed with feta cheese (could simply do mozzarella too) and small amount chopped tomato, you can have it hot or cold & it's good.  I'll do it with just the cheese & tomato and a bit of olive oil for one dd who doesn't like pesto.

tunafish salad, egg salad - even just sliced hardboiled eggs for making sandwiches with (with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard)

eggs & potatoes (I usually do cooked broccoli with this too, esp. for lunch or dinnertime)

pea soups - with frozen peas this one with pesto is good and there's a similar one I've done with fresh mint, it's a quick soup to make and has been well-liked here.  I've also found a corn chowder with bagged frozen corn that everyone likes (considering my group 'hates' soups, this means its quite a find winky.gif).

cheese & crackers, with raw veggies & dip

tacos (I make a lot of some veggie taco filling - obviously you could do meat too, and then we just heat up shells at lunchtime, reheat some filling, and find 2-3 toppings in the fridge).

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List