21 month old cannot get enough to eat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 21 month old is always hungry.  He asks for more and more and more and I've been giving it to him.  This has been going on for two weeks. 

I thought maybe he was just on a growing spurt.  He is developmentally delayed and we don't have all of the answers to diagnosis yet, however, we know there's some needs.  Additionally, he is on a very restricted diet do to allergies so I think he needs more food because of this too.  His food intake has increased a lot over the last couple of weeks.  I'm just not sure when enough is enough.  He cannot have soy, corn, egg, nut, gluten, wheat, dairy or beef.

He's non verbal.  He signs eat and more.  After he ate breakfast this morning, we went to the playroom and he immediately began signing eat.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Could you get a blood test to see if he's deficient in anything? 

#3 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 AM

What is he eating?  Maybe it's a growth spurt.  I would try to get filling food into him, i.e. fat and protein rather than carbs.  Can he have avocado, coconut milk/oil made into smoothies, pumpkin seed butter?  Turkey, chicken, even for breakfast in the form of sausage or bacon?  I know my kids will sit and eat bread, crackers, fruit and cereal for three hours straight if that's all I give them, but if I give them a plate full of fat/protein they can barely finish it before they feel full...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It sounds like a growth spurt which is very common at that age. I would focus on good proteins and then eat to satisfaction. If the behavior continues or becomes really focused i.e. meat only or something than it could be a nutritional deficiet.

#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM

Looks like you are already getting some good advice here.  But if he is still hungry, you can always let him eat as many veggies as he wants as long he is not allergic to them.  They will help fill him up, and they shouldn't have a negative impact on his weight.

And some kids who have devolopment delays also have sensory issues.  They tend to be either sensory-defensive (not liking certain textures or touching) or sensory-seeking (want to touch everything and be hugged really tightly).  And many of these kids can have a focus of this with their mouth.  So it's also possible that he is not necessarily hungry, but likes crunching on something to satisfy another need.  I've had experience with both, so if you think this is a possibility, let me know and we can talk about it some more.

treehugger.gifMom of one angel1.gif(12/28/02) ,one babyboy.gif(12/2/03), one babygirl.gif(12/28/05) and 2 dog2.gif and 2 cat.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page