In "desperate" search of: Stews, braisings and one-pot meals, NOT made in a slow cooker! Help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! love.gif

Here in Norway it`s still "summer" (I say "summer" because we have very, very few days where the temperature is actually hot enough to really call it summer), but I know that autumn will be here a lot faster than I would like. Soo, I am starting to plan my autumn/wintermeny this year. lol.gif I LOVE stews, thick soups, casseroles and one pot meals. (Maybe braisings isn`t the right word? Hopefully my post is understandable anyway...) But, here in Norway we don`t have crockpots, slowcookers etc. I never knew what they were, until coming to Mothering 100 years ago. shy.gif Soooo, what I would LOVE is to get a bunch of recipes for hearty, winter`ish stews, one pot meals etc that are made in the oven, on the stove, in a casserole etc. I will be forever grateful! heartbeat.gif

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Do you have a Dutch oven?

(A moment please, to wonder what they call Dutch ovens in Holland.)

Because anything you can make in a crockpot, you can make on the flame in a Dutch oven, just add a bit more liquid and reduce the cooking time a bit.  And don't leave it unattended... I add quickly.

What do you like to eat?

I have started making an "inside out chicken pot pie" in my dutch oven; I brown bacon, and then add to that some cubed chicken thighs, then remove those and drain, and deglaze the pan with some oil and add some carrots and celery, some salt and pepper and maybe some thyme and marjoram, brown that a little itty bitty bit, add the chicken back in and add some stock or broth or just water.  I let that simmer for a while.  Until I'm ready to eat.  Very low, low heat.  When I'm nearly ready I add some cream or 1/2 and 1/2 to the pan and we eat it over some simple drop biscuits on the side. 

For example.

If you tell me what you like to eat, maybe I can be more help about how to modify from the crockpot to the Dutch oven?  I use both interchangeably.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yep. Most crockpot recipes can be placed in a Dutch oven either over the stove top or in the oven and cooked. They should turn out pretty much the same.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

You can do cassoulet, braised short ribs (served over egg noodles), beef stew in a thousand different ways (with beer or wine or cider, varying the seasonings), roasted chicken with root vegetables... those are just a few off the top of my head. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM

This is a vegan cassoulet - white beans & leeks with biscuits on top.  It is really good, and extra awesome if you happen to have thyme to use in your garden.  I do actually make the vegan biscuits, but you could probably use another biscuit recipe if you like.  It's really good and everyone has liked it a lot (even the kidlets - this makes it amazing).

I've made this chicken cacciatore for dh a few times, and it looks really excellent and he's loved it.  Not too fiddly, and lots of good veggies.  It smells great too.

Not quite a really 'braise-y' dish, but one of my favorite recipes for cooler temperature comfort food is this mushroom stroganoff.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! joy.gif

I`m not 100% sure what a Dutch Oven is, but after Googling it, it seems like it is just a big pot with a lid, made out of iron or something similar? And that it can be used both outdoors (over flames) or inside, in a normal kitchen-stove? So, if  try a recipe that calls for a crockpot, I can use a dutch oven instead? Do I alter the times, or just put the oven on really low and let the dutch oven stay in there for hours?

Anyway, I don`t have one, but it is something I am planning to buy before fall sets in. Anyone know what is the difference between cooking in a dutch oven and for instance, a romertopf?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 AM

If you have a dutch oven (which, to me is simply a very large & usually cast iron cooking pot - either coated like the le creuset, or bare cast iron like the lodge versions - those you could use over a campfire) you'd want to be preparing a slow cooker recipe and have it on the stove, for a long time (unless you found directions for using it in your oven).

I'm guessing a romertopf (not something I use regularly) is mainly for oven use and not stovetop?  A dutch oven would be able to do both - so for example I can cook my stew in it on the stove, top with biscuits and then put it in the oven the rest of the time.  

Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 AM

My dutch oven is cast iron, and I use it stovetop or in the oven without any problems.  I personally wouldn't get the enameled type, but, full disclosure here, I fry eggs in my cast iron skillet, which I'm told make me some kind of wizard?  Apparently cast iron can be difficult to learn to use.  Season it well, and again as needed, and use low heat.  If you get cast iron and have a specific question, I'll be happy to help.  I hear the cast iron leeches iron into the foods, so there's a bonus I suppose.

smile.gif

ETA -  That romertopf thing-a-ma-bob doesn't look non-stick to me.  Is it non-stick?

Edited to further add - I have this one:  http://www.katom.com/261-L8DD3.html?CID=Shopping&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=CSE&zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=5&zmap=261-L8DD3&

Hope that link works!

Edited again to answer some questions specifically instead of just going on about how much I love cast iron.

I`m not 100% sure what a Dutch Oven is, but after Googling it, it seems like it is just a big pot with a lid, made out of iron or something similar?

Yep.

And that it can be used both outdoors (over flames) or inside, in a normal kitchen-stove? So, if  try a recipe that calls for a crockpot, I can use a dutch oven instead?

Yep and yep.  You can use any pan outside, but cast iron is especially nice for cooking over a fire pit, in an outdoor fireplace, on a campire, and the like.  I have never tried cast iron on an element like the kind you would plug in or run off a battery or generator.  Any recipe that you can make in a crockpot you can make on the range or in the oven, but a Dutch Oven makes the conversion process especially easy.  They're heavier than stock pots, so you can leave them on the flame much longer without adding more liquid.

Do I alter the times, or just put the oven on really low and let the dutch oven stay in there for hours?

I make a pot of pork which is basically just a large pork roast with vegetables.  So for example, in the crockpot I would add a dribble of water or stock, all the veg, and then brown the roast in another pot and slide it into the crockpot and set it to low and leave it for a good 8-12 hours.  In the Dutch Oven I would brown the roast in the oven on a higher flame, then remove the roast, add the veg, turn down the flame to as low as possible, add the roast back and some liquid and leave it for about 8 hours - not quite as long.  You want maybe a little more liquid and a little less time.  You can stick it in the oven too, on a low heat.  The range seems easier to me, but that's me.

A big benefit is being able to brown your meat and deglaze the pot and keep all that yumminess.  You can't brown in a crockpot.

One last bit - the romertopf seems similar to a tagine, which would go in the fire or in the oven.  The dutch oven can be used on the range, in comparison.  Also, it's clay, so I am guessing it will have food stick to it.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you! love.gif

Now I know what I will be buying before it gets cold here! orngbiggrin.gif (I`m not going to buy a Le Creuset, but a cheaper version. A  Le Creuset pot will cost atleast $300 here in Norway. Atleast... The biggest ones costs more than $400.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM

My DH came up with Curry Chicken baked in 1 dish.  Everyone loves it!  Put chicken (we use legs) in the baking dish, add 1.5 c. rice, veggies (we use brocilli, zuchinni & mushrooms), season with salt, garlic powder etc...fill the pan with water or broth.  Cook for 1/2 hr at 350...then add some curry if you like and bake for another 45 minutes!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List