Herbal Teas for 15 month old to boost iron? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if this is another option besides just iron-rich foods. I give DD plenty of foods high in iron, but I'm just trying to cover all bases. Thanks for any insight.

I'm have been lurking on MDC since I was pregnant, but I just joined and this is my first post smile.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 AM

There have been some old threads on foods to boost iron in kids - so I'd definitely try to browse through and find them, I don't remember all the suggestions there but there were some good ones.  

If you cook things like oatmeal, hot cereall - add some blackstrap molasses to sweeten.  You can put this in a simple banana smoothie too (goes well with banana, cinnamon, dash of molasses, dash of honey, bit of nutmeg, sometimes I also add wheat germ).

Cooking other foods that are well-liked in uncoated cast iron will help. 

Dried fruits (like raisins, prunes) are higher in iron than others & toddlers often like them.  I believe lentils are too.

Watermelon is also unusually high in iron (for a fruit).

As for teas specifically - I believe nettle tea is highest - not always tastiest, but it does blend well if you mix it with part mint/chamomile/apple juice which I've done myself.  I also find it tasty cold - a little less bitter.  I suspect it might blend in well with a bit of homemade lemon/limeade (which would enhance iron absorption).

#3 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Is rooibus safe?  I don't know, so I am asking, but I drank it by the gallon while pregnant as I'd been told it helps your body absorb iron.  It can be tolerable with something sweet added, cold.  I'm still biased after feeling sentenced to it for 10 months, if you detect a tinge of distaste for it in my post.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM

I second nettle tea - I make it for myself mixed with peppermint.  For my girls, I add a little honey, too.  When I was pregnant, I also added some RRL and oatstraw to the mixture.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I too drank lots of Nettle tea with RRL and mint while I was pregnant and my iron was always above average. Should I dilute the tea for her? Or is it fine to give full strength?

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page