spicing baby's food = better palate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 6 month old baby that is still EBF - and I was hoping to wait until at least 7 or 8 months to start solids (he's not sitting up yet and is working on his pincer grasp but is overly interested in what we eat and has two teeth) but I'm thinking that it might be fun to start just by giving him a chunk of avocado and seeing what he does with it. I like the idea of baby led solids but am not opposed to purees either. We aren't going to do rice cereal.

I really like the idea of spicing the food I give him so it has some flavor and also just throwing whatever we're eating into the food processor, but I also like the idea of babe learning the natural flavors of the food.

Question is, for those of you with older LOs who started on spiced foods, have you noticed that their palate is broader or that they are better eaters? I'm curious to hear your responses!

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#2 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Well, we didn't "spice" our guy's food, but we did do BLW and fed him what we were eating from early on.

I have nothing to compare to, but he's always had a good palet and textures are not an issue either.  Tonight we had curry coconut soup for supper.  He loves tandoori chicken. He loves lots of types of veggies, from cooked brocolli to raw tomato to pickles.  He loves fish and all types of meat. He's not picky in the least (although he has his favorites and a few things he dislikes, as we all do).  But it's hard to know if it's because we did BLW or just because it's who he is.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM

i tried BLW with my son...mixed with some purees as well.  we experimented with stuff all around.  he ONLY likes certain things when they are spiced.  i always tried the food in it's pure form first, since i wanted to know whether or not he really liked the food, and i feel like they have instincts about what things they can handle and which things they can't, and i didn't want to trick him into anything.  that being said, he won't eat avocado, but he will eat guacamole.  he loves curried lentils (with cayenne pepper).  he likes onion and sauerkraut.  he does not like fruit.  at all, ever.  so i really think it has a lot to do with each kids personality, and each parent's patience in terms of offering different foods at different times.  i think it's normal for kids to go through phases of liking and not liking certain flavors or textures, so i try not to become emotionally attached to the reaction....and i do let myself become attached to certain things because it would be sooo much easier if DS just liked Food A, etc. 

i say, don't over think it.  just offer a variety of foods.  if DC is eating off your plate, you will get a good idea of preferences without having to go out of your way.  

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#4 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice - i think we'll start with avocado and sweet potato and start letting him try stuff from our plate, which is already spiced. i love what your kiddos are eating, made me hungry just reading it! :)

#5 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I unfortunatly started DD on rice cereal but I added cinnamon, and for other foods and purees I gave her I always added spices and such.  Now, she will seriously eat anything.  Her favorite thing right now it to go into the garden and pick the purslane and eat it (whole, raw).  I think it is totally gross lol, but she loves it and does it every day.  She is the least picky kid BY FAR of the kids of my friends, and all of my friends are very conventional, gave rice cereal and formula to their kids, etc.  She LIKES fermented cod liver oil, raw zuccini, plain home made keifr, etc, and anything that I can dream up to cook.  Seriously, she will eat anything.  I think avocado is an excellent baby food.  I make a dip out of it with lemon juice, garlic and onion powder and unrefined salt, we dip organic chips in it, and I give it to the baby as a food, but I try to give him the chunks out of it so he has something to chew.

Also, I would go by your baby's actions as to when to start solids rather than age or milestones reached.  If he wants your food and seems to know whats going on, than I would give it to him.  My son loves when we eat steak, I cut off a strip and give it to him, he gnaws it to pieces lol

#6 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 AM

I did Baby Led Weaning with my daughter and it was great fun and stress free. She's a fantastic "eater" now and people are always asking about it as it seems unusual among friends babies. 

If you go to amazon and get the book it's well worth it. 

We just let her start helping herself to stuff, spices and all. 

She is now almost 3 and will pick something up and taste it, then declare to the table whether it is salty, sour, sweet, spicy...and not cause we consciously taught her, she just likes to tell us. 

She's had a great time with food and personally I found it so easy. I don't know how anyone does it the puree way, spoon feeding the baby a separate times etc. I have enough to do! I loved baby led weaning as it was so stress free. 

:)

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#7 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachaelM View Post

I did Baby Led Weaning with my daughter and it was great fun and stress free. She's a fantastic "eater" now and people are always asking about it as it seems unusual among friends babies. 

She is now almost 3 and will pick something up and taste it, then declare to the table whether it is salty, sour, sweet, spicy...and not cause we consciously taught her, she just likes to tell us. 

She's had a great time with food and personally I found it so easy. I don't know how anyone does it the puree way, spoon feeding the baby a separate times etc. I have enough to do! I loved baby led weaning as it was so stress free. 

I love that you said it was stress free, thats exactly  what I thought!  I did the purees and all with my first child, and it was exactly that- stressful!  I felt the need to make my own baby food for her, then make food for the rest of the family, and it was stressful.  I did spice all her foods and make interesting creations for her which was pretty cool but it would have been so much easier if I had just handed her the spiced stuff from my plate!  Lol, I look back at myself as a first time mom and roll my eyes at how obsessive I was about everything being just so and thinking that purees was the only option.  Now look at me just handing my 2nd baby huge chunks of food to chew on, a few years ago I would have been appauled by the mom I am now handing her baby those chunks!  Lol, I knew nothing :)

#8 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The first solid food either of my kids had was chicken tikka, swiped off my plate. I make it pretty spicy. They loved it at the time.

They don't now. greensad.gif

I have heard great things about the Baby Led Weaning book, although I have not used it. I'm not a huge puree fan because I'm not a big spoon feeding the baby fan.
#9 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelM View Post

You might also have luck at your local library smile.gif

Oh lord, I think this all.the.time.  I can't imagine having worried about purees and especially about spoon feeding!  I am sure this is unusual but I had a friend who's 2 year old refused to feed herself because she wanted to be spoon fed still.  Call me lazy but I love how easy BLW is.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

i have the book and do like it a lot. DS is not yet 7 months so eating is more for fun and exploration right now. what about when they are gnawing on something (like fruit or soft veggies) and a piece breaks off into their mouth? my heart skips a beat and i swipe the piece out. he has two bottom teeth so can bite big chunks off. thoughts?

#11 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM

I made my son purees for a month or two when he started foods at 6.5 months. Mostly I started with basic purees, but soon I started making things that were more soups than purees, with onion/celery/carrots base or what have yo, spiced normally. Oatmeal/apples with cinnamon. Shortly after he started eating 'real' foods, and has always had a good appetite and will eat most of anything. i think the most important thing is (this is for slightly older than yours) that meal time or snack time, is when you get food. We totally eliminated random snacking and it has done wonders. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page