BF 11 month old to start Daycare - dairy problem - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What should I do about milk during the day?
Just let the daycare give him milk 0 0%
Bring in soya milk 0 0%
Bring in formula 0 0%
Tell them to just give him water/juice 0 0%
Pump and bring it in at least for the first month 3 50.00%
Pump and bring it in until he can drink milk 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS will start daycare in August.  He still nurses and drinks a bit of water.  The few times I have tried some dairy he has had gas and pain.   He is very large for his age and very healthy otherwise.  He will be one at the end of August.

What should I do about milk during the day?  (I don't overly want to pump.)

What about eggs and other things they advise to not give them?

p.s. If this is in the wrong spot please let me know.

#2 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

11 months is really just a baby and it doesn't really matter if other babies are drinking cow's milk. Cow's milk or other milk substitutes are really quite inferior to breastmilk. If you can pump, I really think it would be better for his health. Familiar taste and nutrition will help with the transition as well. Give it a try and reevaluate choices in a few months.

#3 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

egg yolks are great to give babies actually!

#4 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll say from years of experience working in a daycare that after 1 they'll probably need a doctors note to give a milk sub... my ds's fairly severe dairy allergy is more of a lactose intolerance now, and he drinks.soy milk at daycare with a drs note. Under 1 we arenot allowed to give milk

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#5 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1) Humans do NOT need cow milk. So don't even worry about that. :) 

2) Once he starts eating enough solids he'll be perfectly fine with only solids and water while he's gone and nursing when you two are together. After the first year your milk starts working in a magical way so that the less you nurse, the higher the concentration of nutrients in what milk he does get, so he still gets the same amount of goodies no matter how much or how little he nurses. 

I would get a pedi to write a note stating that he CANNOT have dairy and that water and fresh foods are perfectly acceptable. You can pump if you choose, and will need to if he's not eating enough solids, but cow milk is such an incredibly poor replacement for breastmilk - he would definitely be better off with solids and water. And even moreso since he can't tolerate it (it will cause gut damage which can have all kinds of ill effects that are best avoided). 

Good luck!!!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Oh, and juice is NOT good. It's almost all sugar and few nutrients. Real fruit is what they should have. Juice should just be a treat. And while I'm on the roll of "believe it or not, X food sucks" lol - grains are also not good. They can't digest them until over the age of 2. 

As always, do what you want, just letting you know. I wish I'd known about the grain thing a long time ago!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page