Grilled squash with eggplant - Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're having a bunch of friends over for a cookout tomorrow and I have a lot of random veggies from this week's CSA packet I'd like to use.  Has anyone grilled eggplant together with zucchini, squash, eggplant and onion?  I only have one large eggplant, so I'd like to chunk that and put it in the grill pan with the yellow squash, zucchini (have a bunch of those) some onion - and maybe some garlic?  (I'd probably toss the chunks with olive oil and sea salt first.)

I don't cook with eggplant a lot so I'm unsure how it would hold up in this presentation.  thoughts?

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

I would do the eggplant separately, as it tends to easily become saturated with oil.

I use this method on the grill:

"How can you cook eggplant without using too much oil and still achieve a decent result? That is one of the biggest challenges for the modern health-conscious home cook who has no relatives in the olive oil industry. I have found that using a brush to apply oil to eggplant slices is the only effective way to prevent overindulgence on one hand and a dry, burned surface on the other. I brush the oil on one side and then place the slices, oiled side down, on a grill or in a nonstick skillet. Only just before turning them over do I brush the other side. (If both sides are brushed at the same time, the oil invariably will have been soaked up by the time I flip the slice.) When the slices come out of the pan crisp outside and soft and creamy inside, they are a small wonder, served in a traditional Italian dish such as eggplant Parmesan (Parmigiana di melanzane), in a French ratatouille, in Greek moussaka or on a splendid vegetarian sandwich."

From this website.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alisia!  That's helpful info eat.gif

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List