What do you serve for dinner when you are too burnt out to cook? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tacos

leftovers

PB and homemade J with banana's and carrots

cereal or oatmeal (made with milk) topped with berries or bananas and ground flax 

eggs and a toasted grain with lots of fresh fruit and veggies from the garden or fridge.

Frozen pizza with salad and fruit

Tomato, Pesto, mozzarella panini with fruit 

homemade egg or tuna salad on bread or back to nature crackers with fruit and raw veggies

#62 of 88 Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 AM

PBJ (I love them frozen)

Applesauce and granola

Tortilla roll ups with turkey, greens, avocado! or whatever

Greek yogurt with honey/maple syrup and maybe some frozen berries mixed in (dessert?)

Pitas with hummus and veggies

Bagel (I like the high protein cinnamon raisin ones) with cream cheese and sliced strawberries

Guacamole with tortilla chips and raw veggies 

Ham and cheddar cheese on sandwich rolls, warmed up

Salad with feta cheese, hard boiled eggs, croutons and sunflower seeds

Cold or warmed museli with vanilla almond milk and dried fruit 

If I had too cook I'd throw a roast in the crock pot with some baby carrots, new potatoes and pearl onions and have DH serve us when he got home :)

Kymberly, Mama to DD (08/22/05) DS (08/10/08) and
#63 of 88 Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Pasta and a quick pink sauce.    Then some cucumbers and dip on the side. 

#64 of 88 Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Tonight we had bruschetta. Chopped up tomatoes, garlic and basil. Added olive oil and balsamic vinegar, s&p, put in on sliced bread and topped with grated parmesan.  That took 5 minutes max. Under the broiler for 3 min. Quick & delish.

#65 of 88 Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM

I get some char siu or some roast duck at the wet-market or take-away and wash lettuce.

#66 of 88 Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Ground turkey cooked with Siracha sauce and rice. If I'm feeling fancy, I mix in a little soy sauce with the ground turkey. My family loves.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#67 of 88 Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I see what you all mean by the beans and cooking time now. Well, yup, we eat plain canned beans on top of plain rice & spice it up (and DD2's idea of spicing it up is putting sour cream on it!) with toppings (avocado, cheese, lettuce etc.) and sriracha/salsa.

As for procrastinating and then needing to get dinner done quickly - We don't have a microwave, so I have learned not to procrastinate. For instance, making something frozen always means defrosting a day or two ahead of time, making potatoes means an hour in the oven, etc. Otherwise I make sure I always have pasta and a jar of sauce on hand and make that as my fallback. If I am really tired/worn out/sick of cooking, we do get takeout.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#68 of 88 Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM

I usually keep some yummy frozen Trader Joes entree stocked in the freezer for just such a purpose.
#69 of 88 Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

The baking and 15 minutes part launches it into the realm of cooking. winky.gif lol.gif    If it takes more than 5 minutes, it's cooking.

I've made nachos in the microwave. Takes just a few minutes. nak

#70 of 88 Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Oftentimes what my challenge is, is that I have been doing WAPF stuff all day, but haven't made an actual dinner, and ALL my dishes are in the sink. The "burnt out" part for me is having not the energy to wash dishes AND make food. Slicing cheese, heating up frozen whatever or dishing out food is "making food" when I get to that point.

So I retreat to put up my feet and send the kids into the fridge to forage out a protein and some veggies/fruit. Or maybe to the pantry for some nuts and dried fruit. Whatever. I'm not doing any of it. I'm too burnt out. smile.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#71 of 88 Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh golly, dinner can't get started because the previous mess hasn't been cleaned up-  that stinks.  This is one thing I'm actually making progress with.  Six days a week, it's my kids' job to unpack (before dinner) and pack the dishwasher and 'do' the dinner dishes, and they've gotten reasonably competent at it.  So if it's time to start dinner and there are dirty dishes cluttering the work space and there are clean dishes in the dishwasher, I can at least send one of them to unpack the dishwasher so I can get the dishes out of the sink and off the counter. And then I can start dinner. 

When they were too little or too slow to be truly helpful, on those nights when I was going to have to do a whole load of dishes just to get started on dinner-  well, frequently I just didn't bother.  We'd have take-out.  Or, I'd power through it anyway, doing dishes and then making a whole dinner, and we wouldn't sit down to eat till 7pm (not good on a school night) and I'd be exhausted and my feet would hurt. 

Now I just need to teach them how to cook a few dinners and I won't be the ONLY PERSON MAKING DINNER, AS I HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 16 YEARS.  huh.gif Wow, I've never put that together before.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#72 of 88 Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Some things that I have been known to do salad, yogurt & fruit, cut veggies & hummus, cheese & crackers & fruit,  smoothie & toast, tuna sandwiches grilled cheese & a carton of TJ's organic tomato soup....I try to plan crock pot meals when I know I'm going to have a hectic day & not want to cook.  But you cannot always plan for those days! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#73 of 88 Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I've made nachos in the microwave. Takes just a few minutes. nak

I make nachos in our built-in grill (we have a very old stove/oven - works in the oven, too) - super easy and fast. And tasty eat.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#74 of 88 Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

now that my dd is 10, i feel i have the right to say - hey you're making dinner. i'm good with whatever you make....

when i feel burnt out. and yes i have done it.

we rarely do any processed and no money to eat out.

for me the part of cooking that is tiring is the chopping part.

or if i cook i go for white rice (usually we eat brown), throw it in the rice cooker (i swear i could NEVER live without one) and half way i add some veggies to it, like chopped squash or brocolli.

cheese sandwiches.

omlettes

breakfast foods.

or a big giant tossed salad.

last night dd made a pepper, cucumber, tomato salad with stir fried potatoes, corn, red bell peppers and endamame beans (the beans were frozen).

or a 15 min red lentil soup with quinoa and veggies soup.

when i am tired - its not that i dont have much time before dinner. it means i just dont have the energy in the initial assembly. 15 mins is all i have. so sometimes i'd chop up a bunch of veggies in 15 minutes, put them on a baking tray (cut the slow cooking very fine in my mandolin) and bake/broil them for 15 - 20 mins.

i am lucky that living in CA and having access to local fresh foods means i dont really have to cook and spice too much. the veggies taste real good on their own without much done to them.

we are mostly vegetarians and rarely eat meat.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#75 of 88 Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM

scrambled eggs with cut up peppers and cheese, and toast

grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup

Tuna melts with tomato

I also keep pre-prepared meals (homemade) in the freezer so I can just pull something out.  Soups are great for this, along with "buscuits from the freezer" (pop 'em in the oven frozen and bake) and we do left-overs alot because I just have no interest in cooking every night of the week!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#76 of 88 Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM

I've become a pro at making Quaker Oats interesting when I have no desire to actually cook for me and my husband. Applesauce and cinnamon. Peanut butter and cocoa powder. Smooshed berries. Oatmeal has become my go-to dinner when I'm not in the mood to move.

#77 of 88 Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 AM

Pancakes when DH isn't home. Sometimes eggs & bacon when he is, but usually something slightly more elaborate like spaghetti or tacos or baked chicken, but which are still quite simple.
#78 of 88 Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 PM

popcorn and smoothies. 

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#79 of 88 Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM

My fav is:  open a bag of tortilla chips, warm up a can of refried beans, open a jar of salsa.  Dip until I can't dip no more.  This can get fancier with cheese, avocado, etc involved, but the basic 3 keep me pretty darned happy.

Popcorn and smoothies...great idea!

Pancakes

grilled cheese

cereal and toast with pb and banana and tea

#80 of 88 Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM

In a huge rush with no time to cook and clean meals or just plain worn out meals are

Homemade popcorn

Can of tuna with pickle slices in tortilla

Eggs and toast

Eggs and spinach in a tortilla

Beans and cheese and any veggies easily available in a tortilla

Peanut butter and bread

Granola, yogurt, fruit

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#81 of 88 Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

If we have extra cash on hand, we'll order in, but that is exceedingly rare these days. I can think of three meals we go to when we're not up to cooking - pasta with a quick home made marinara (can of tomatoes, wine, onions, garlic, oregano, thyme, pinch of sugar), Thai Noodle Soup or breakfast for dinner (usually scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage; pancakes if we're slightly more ambitious).

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#82 of 88 Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Breakfast for dinner is easy. Pancakes, or toast and eggs. I serve with sliced tomato or fruit on the side. 

Scrambling and egg on spaghetti noodles is good too. A little salt and pepper and parm and its good

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#83 of 88 Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I dislike "cooking." I dislike recipes and fancy foods. Typical meals here always take 30 minutes or less with virtually no preparation.

• raw steak with cheese
  • raw fish with olives and greens
  • broiled fish with cottage cheese
  • frozen natural macaroni and cheese with canned tuna
  • broiled chicken breast with natural frozen lasagna
  • natural sausage with oven browned potatoes (made ahead of time and frozen)
  • tuna salad with natural potato chips

All dishes are garnished with butter or marrow, sometimes I add raw egg yolk. The meat is the main portion. The starch side dishes are small, frozen entrees are divided into 2 or more portions.

strongrad likes this.
#84 of 88 Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Well tonight I'm making soup & grilled cheese as I'm feeling like not cooking already (and my DH will cook the grilled cheese).  But I'll make up for it tomorrow on my day off with veggie Swedish meatballs, steamed broccoli, & mashed potatoes.

Also, my DH really doesn't like "not cooking". Like one day I made just baked potatoes for dinner. I had some toppings but apparently that wasn't good enough for him. He likes "substance" he says. So it makes it hard for me when I don't want to cook. I could eat a bagel w/peanut butter & banana for dinner & be fine but he needs "dinner food". It is so aggravating. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#85 of 88 Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Well tonight I'm making soup & grilled cheese as I'm feeling like not cooking already (and my DH will cook the grilled cheese).  But I'll make up for it tomorrow on my day off with veggie Swedish meatballs, steamed broccoli, & mashed potatoes.

Also, my DH really doesn't like "not cooking". Like one day I made just baked potatoes for dinner. I had some toppings but apparently that wasn't good enough for him. He likes "substance" he says. So it makes it hard for me when I don't want to cook. I could eat a bagel w/peanut butter & banana for dinner & be fine but he needs "dinner food". It is so aggravating. 

Oh man, now tomato soup and grilled (dairy-free) cheese sandwiches sound really good! I need to make some soon. 

I'm actually similar to your husband with the the dinner thing. I can go for something like breakfast for dinner, but it's got to be a big portion, be hot and be substantial for the evening meal. A sandwich rarely flies with me, and if it does it has to be a hot sandwich - like breaded chicken, with fries. And preferably an appetizer to beef up the meal. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#86 of 88 Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Tonight I made bacon, acorn squash and kale chips in the oven.. Doesn't sound like not cooking but it was totally easy. Had leftover salad and sliced up a tomato, and bam. Dinner

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#87 of 88 Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM

great thread, I will be copying some recipes down when I have two hands.

one of our quick I don't feel like cooking meals is shrimp, edamame and bread.

I keep 15 minute a day bread dough in my fridge so I just have to shape a loaf, let it rise and toss it in the oven. Then I steam the edamame and boil the shrimp with garlic. very little hands on time.

we also do snack dinners with veggies, dip, crackers, cheese salami or ham or turkey slices, olives, dates, etc.

pasta and nutritional yeast, bragg's liquid aminos and some blanched broccoli all mixed together

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#88 of 88 Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM

I have found peanut butter can mask the taste of a lot of things, and therefore in a pinch I can throw together really odd concoctions featuring whatever snuck-in veggies or herbs ! have on hand and it all tastes ok! Healthy and the kids like it- all that matters to me!

Today we mixed a rice-puff cereal with natural peanut butter, chives and a touch of honey and moulded the mix into interesting shapes- fun and easy!

I always keep a vat of peanut butter or almond butter on hand, hummus too, and often our quick meals/snacks involve smearing something on a rice-cake.

Quick oats are great for us too- oatmeal can be mixed with cinnamon, apples, cloves, nutmeg- all sorts of healthy/yummy things.

Cheers!

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page