Healthy Weight Loss Challengers - What Are You Eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Spin off from the Eight Week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge.  

So exercise is one part of weight loss, and eating well is the other - I think I'll find it helpful to chat about what everyone's eating.  

Maybe get some ideas and inspiration, but also some accountability!  

Who's with me?  

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll start

Breakfast:

3 weetbix with soy milk

Lunch:

big salad with vegan sausages

Dinner: 

Spaghetti with tomato based veggie loaded sauce

Snacks:

2 vitaweats with peanut butter

granny smith apple

1 sugar free lemonade can

1 rum ball (!)

Yesterday's food was exactly the same, except I didn't have a lemonade!  

My struggle time is after dinner, before bed - I always want to nibble on something.  

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I would love to do this with you.  I am using myfitnesspal to track calories.  I am trying to stay between 1600-1800 a day.  

This is yesterday:

Breakfast:  oatmeal, banana, egg, almond milk, tea

Lunch :  brown rice, black beans, egg, salad, olive oil

Dinner:  brown rice, chicken, salad, olive oil

Snack:  large tomato

My calories were a bit low 1550, but it was just the first day.   On to day 2!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

today for breakfast i had an oatmeal + egg + grated cheese pancake

two cups of tea with artificial sweetener and a dash of milk

at 11:00 am i had a some (cold, in a park, from a plastic container, with a spoon, whilst the children were playing and having a cheese sandwich) left over vegetables + a little left over ground meat (all from yesterday)

+ i drank some cold veggie soup (zucchinis + green beans) from a thermos flask

late lunch, i had some paella rice + a few leaves of salad + half a pear

later i had a bowl of hot veggie soup (i had just made another batch, this time a third spinach, two third green beans, with basil leaves) as i was liquidizing it. It had a tablespoon worth of coconut oil (in the hope that i can resist eating sweets later on ...)

plus i tasted a very little sweet i have been making to take to some ex-neighbors (one third sugar, one third almond powder, one third freshly ground sesame seeds, one teaspoon of cardamom powder, one egg, makes about 50 sweets- a small mouthful, i shape them with two teaspoons)

tonight i'm not sure yet, a mixed salad probably, but not fixed yet on which protein to go with it

(the rest of the family is having a frozen shepherd's pie, i don't digest that too well ....)

Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Eating well is my biggest challenge, I have very little appetite and if I'm not careful, I go all morning and until early afternoon before I realize I need to eat! Which then turns into eating whatever I can get my hands on (and is the reason I need to lose! lol).

Morning: smoothie made with yogurt, handful of berries and half a banana, and a scoop of protein powder

Lunch: first, I made everyone sandwiches and veggie sticks. Then, I made some quinoa because for some reason I was craving it...

Supper tonight is red beans and rice and cornbread with a salad.

I really need to start writing it all down and making sure I'm getting everything I need. I am not wanting to count calories because I tend to give up if I do (dunno why?) and I'm also nursing. I want to focus on eating the right foods in the amounts that I need. I am betting I see a huge change if I did that, and stayed away from the soda.

Oh, I have a bread machine that we just got. Does anyone have any super awesome bread recipes?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM

Here's what I've had so far.  I use myfitnesspal.com to track my calories.  I'm allotted 1260 and I find it hard to stay within this unless I exercise.  My biggest problem is breakfast.  No matter what I have, I'm starving by 10:30.

Today
Breakfast: small slice of bread with a thin amount of peanut butter before my run.  Oatmeal with 1 tsp brown sugar after my run.
Lunch: Tuna salad on homemade wheat bread, carrots, and cheesecake.  (I made the cheesecake for my sister in law's birthday on Sunday and could't resist)

Dinner: probably pasta and a veg

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm a paleo/primal girl and decided for the first 4 weeks to do a Whole30! Well I might have some wine on the weekend so it'll be close!

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:
Coconut milk in coffee
Eggs fried in ghee, baby greens, tomatoes and garlic
2 chicken sausages

Lunch:
Shrimp and fennel sauté with green olives and tomatoes. Without the feta cheese on top... *sob*

Dinner: Pesto meatballs in organic mushroom pasta sauce on top of zucchini noodles I peeled up. So good! But I miss the grated parmesan. I'll live without for 30 days, right!?!?!

Snack/dessert: Nectarine, strawberries and bananas

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Well today I will start recording:

Breakfast: oatmeal with mixed berries and tsp of sugar, 1/2 c. cottage cheese, 2 servings tator tots

Lunch: Ramen noodle soup with 1/2 of seasoning packet, 1/2 cup green peas, cup of blueberry pomegranate juice, frozen yogurt popsicle

Supper: rice with green peppers, kidney beans, salsa, and cashew "cheese" (cashews, nutritional yeast, pimentos, seasonings, blended together, yummy)

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Food is the tough part of the challenge for me. Also have a 1 cup a day chai habit. I tried eliminating it, but ended up replacing the chai with a bag of cookies. Chai is the healthier option. Lol

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: bowl of cereal, almond milk,  cup of chai w/almond milk and 2 tsp. sugar

Lunch- 2 pieces of sprouted wheat bread, 1 tbs. canola mayo, 1 slice grilled seitan, 1 slice provolone cheese, 1/2 avocado.

dinner out- veggie burger with veggies and basalmic dressing, onion strings, and unsweetened ice tea

Snacks-  1 small slice of the homemade corn-free chocolate cake I made for my dd, 1 cup of watermelon,  

Today so far:  

Breakfast: bowl of cereal, almond milk,  cup of chai w/almond milk and 2 tsp. sugar

Lunch out-  Wheat bread, reg. mayo, cheese, and avocado sandwich, unsweetened ice tea

dinner-  2 pieces of sprouted wheat bread, 1 tbs. canola mayo, 1 slice grilled seitan,  fruit smoothie made with almond milk and strawberries, tsp sugar

snacks- bite of watermelon, 2 oven baked french fries, 1 coconut popsicle

Lots of water throughout both days, sparkling and regular water

I have trouble with staying away from the sweets, including the natural ones. :(  

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yay!   Glad to have some company!  

Ruthie - I'm trying to stay somewhere between 1200 and the 1400 recommended by my calorie tracker.  I'm mostly on the high side though.  

Sillygirl - no bread recipes from me, I'm trying to stay away from bread altogether at the moment.  It is indeed one of my vices!  

Speaking of vices, I'm trying to stay away from alcohol!  Especially cocktails! greensad.gif  

AFM:  Some nice downwards movement on the scales again today.  I like it! 

Breakfast:  3 weetbix & soy milk (I have the same everyday, you'll soon be bored with it!)

Lunch: 2 vegan snags and salad (lettuce, capsicum, tomato, avo, shallots, carrot, mushrooms, etc)

Dinner: Veggie stir fry and noodles

Snacks: apple and a sugarfree lemonade

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Day 2

Breakfast:  oatmeal, egg, grapefruit, almond milk, tea

Lunch:  brown rice, black beans, egg, big salad, olive oil

Dinner:  brown rice, quinoa, chicken, big salad

Snacks:  peach, nectarine, cheese, almond milk in tea

Total of 1683, smack in the middle of my sweet spot!  

Feeling fine -- I get hungry in the afternoon, but that is normal for me.  I am always, always hungry around 3pm.  I just have to plan for a decent snack and not dive into a hefty peanut butter sandwich like I usually do.  I don't know what it is about peanut butter, but I simply love it.  How American of me...of course, I overlook the fact that a thick slather on bread can be 500-600 calories and then I turn right around and eat dinner.   

Off to make my morning oatmeal.  Good luck to all! 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Well Tuesday night turned into a craving for salty chips and Mike and Ike sweet candies.  Ugh

Today, so far: Breakfast: oatmeal, mixed berries, a tsp of sugar, slice of bread with miracle whip and slice of cheese

Lunch: burrito with fat free refried beans, cheese, and left over rice/cashew cheese mix from last night

Supper: potluck with sewing guild.  Going to take pesto pasta salad.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Day 1

am- coffee

2 eggs with veggies

mid- raw veggie sticks w/ yogurt dip

homemade pumpkin soup

pm-green salad w/ veggie 'chicken' strips

tomatoes & goddess dressing

2sl wheat bread w/grass fed butter

snack- lots of watermelon

Day 2

am-coffee

steel-cut oats w/a little rice milk & brown sugar

1sl wheat bread w/butter

mid-1sl wheat bread w/ sunflower seed butter & banana

pumpkin soup

more coffee

pm- bean & tortilla bake

w/ a little cheese, tomatoes,& avocado

snacks- watermelon

strawberries

I'm addicted to watermelon!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Did pretty well yesterday, but ended up staying up late last night and sleeping in this morning, so I missed breakfast. Woke up to DP making Annie's shells and cheese for everyone, so went ahead and had some of that, then felt guilty and grabbed a handful of carrot sticks...

About to head in the kitchen now and fix myself a big salad.

Supper tonight is roast with baked sweet potato fries and some squash and zucchini.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM

I felt like I ate a lot today, but I was still under my calorie goal because of my activity.  I had a hard time feeling full and tried to eat more protein or fat, but still felt hungry.

breakfast: homemade plain yogurt with homemade granola and jam

lunch: ham sandwich with a slice of havarti and a thin spread of hummus, another slice of bread with goat cheese

dinner: chicken with sauteed peppers, mushrooms and onions, cous cous, peas

snacks: banana, oreo cookies, carrots and hummus and peanut butter 

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM

I ate too much today also, We went berry picking & I usually make cobbler. I couldn't help but bake so I made a blackberry-mango 'crisp' so that it would be mainly fruit with just a little topping. So freakin good I ate too much of it & now I'm hungry! Planning on making jam tonight or in the morning & resisting baking bread! The jam will be mostly for the kids:) Today I ate-     

am- coffee

steel cut oats with a little rice milk & brown sugar

1sl wheat bread & butter ( I woke up sooo hungry this morning!)

mid-veggie burger on multigrain bread

w/ avocado, veggies & hummus (instead of mayo)

pm- 1/2c beans, 1c brown rice w/a little cheese & salsa

mango-berry crisp w/coconut  (nondairy) ice cream

snacks- strawberries

raw veggies & hummus

more coffee

2 hard boiled eggs

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Hi All,

I'm not specifically trying to lose weight ATM, but I've been trying to get some new ideas for healthy eating. Thanks so sharing what you're eating; it's giving me lots of ideas! carrot.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 08-03-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thursday

Breakfast:  3 weetbix & soy milk 

Lunch: 2 vegan snags and salad (lettuce, capsicum, tomato, avo, shallots, carrot, mushrooms, etc)

Dinner: Vege soup (carrot, sweet potato, celery, chili, capsicum, broccoli, onion, squash, other random veges, a few lentils)

Snacks: apple, sugarfree lemonade

Friday

Rinse and repeat meals

Snacks:  2 vitaweats with peanut butter

Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Wednesday nights potluck supper: pesto pasta salad, slice of bread with cheese, cherries, slice of fruit pizza, dry toast with tomato/garlic topping, dollop of peach cobbler, 2 glasses sugar free lemonade,

Thursday, Aug. 2: So I was having a salt craving this morning: potato chips with sour cream, then fried egg with cream cheese on toast, a pint of blueberries (oh those were good!),

Lunch: pesto pasta (leftovers), cheese sandwich with miracle whip, grapes, potato chips

Supper: mashed potatoes with cream cheese mixed in, beets, cottage cheese, ice cream square, tortilla chips with sour cream and salsa

Friday, Aug. 3: Breakfast out to eat: fried potatoes, slice of toast with butter, 3 egg omelet with zucchini, summer squash, green and red peppers, onions, and colby jack cheese, glass of orange juice.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Lilac, you're making me hungry! 

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Sorry milk, just saying what I eat to make me think about it and I think it is helpful.

Well, breakfast definitely stuck with me until 3:30 p.m. this afternoon.  Had rest of pesto pasta, fresh from my garden tomato and cheese sandwich, sour cream and cheddar cheese potato chips, bunch of red grapes, tortillas with salsa and sour cream

Had a snack with grapes and a slice of fresh bread with butter.  So that ends up Friday, August 3's food.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 PM

The health issues have thrown me a bit.

Yesterday's eating   late breakfast- Cereal and almond milk, chai from Starbucks

lunch-  grilled cheese

early dinner out- big salad,  black bean eggplant veggie burger with avocado and greens. 5 french fries

Snack- small slice of  my dh's chocolate birthday cake

lots of water

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 PM

had guests for lunch so made an effort to make some mixed salads

here's what i had for lunch today (+ a few sip of orange wine i "made" 2 years ago)

plus a bowl of fruit salad that DS patiently cut up for all of us

haven't been hungry all afternoon, am going to have vegetable soup tonight

Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 PM

I've been a bad, bad girl.  I done a bad thing!  biglaugh.gif

Breakfast: cream cheese danish with coffee

lunch: 1.5-2 cups of seafood arabiatta with parmesan, coffee

snack: fruit, diet coke

supper: steak, steamed veggies, mushrooms/onions/garlic sauteed with olive oil and butter, tomatoes

Dessert: red war cake with coffee, 2 slices

out: 2 pints stout with a 7% alcohol content.

Pretty sure I'm forgetting something.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post

I've been a bad, bad girl.  I done a bad thing!  biglaugh.gif

You are not alone!  lol.gif  The weekend is my enemy

Yesterday:

B: same as always

L: Vegan burger and chips (lunch out - 700 calories!!!)

D: Burrito with vegan nuggets, salad and salsa

S: Vodka & lemonade + potato chips!  

(Bad, bad girl!)

Today:

B: ditto above

L: salad sandwich with vegan pattie (lunch out again!  no chips this time though!)

D: spaghetti with tomato & veg sauce with "mince"

S: mint slice cookie & sugar free lemonade.  

(much better today... )

I'm hoping that I haven't totally undone all my hard work from this week.  Surely 5 good out of 7 days is better than nothing?  

Back on the wagon hardcore tomorrow.  

Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Today:

L: see below + vegan snag x 2

S: apple and 2 vitaweats with vegemite

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM

breafkast egg and cheese

lunch ; green salad with dressing made with oil from a tin of cod liver + apple cider vinegar,

half of the tin of cod liver, spourted mung beans, sprouted lentils, grated carrots, a few chunck of the meat my kids ate for lunch (all tossed in the salad)

am going to try to be much more reasonnable this week ...

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Yesterday-

Cuban sandwich- avocado, cheese, lettuce, onion, roll

Starbucks chai

Fruit smoothie- frozen fruit, banana, probiotics (on antibiotics, yuck!), almond milk

liquid iron supplement

Ramen noodle soup, my ds ate most of the noodles

Mixed green salad with a little cheese and walnuts, small serving ranch dressing

cheese sandwich- sprouted wheat bread, small amount mayo, and 2 slices cheese

Today so far-   Breakfast-  cereal and almond milk

tea bag chai w/ almond milk- 1 tsp. sugar

1 small piece watermelon

Walking hasn't been enough and I'm still not playing hockey, taking classes,  so I need to be more strict about eating. I need to figure out how many calories I need to stick to,  to lose weight. I'm still nursing my ds, but I don't think I require an extra 500 calories. I'll definitely cut out the cheese. I'm a vegetarian, but soy messes with my hormones. I'll have to figure out another protein source. Maybe beans??   Also skipping the Starbucks chai. Too much sugar and calories.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

Today:

L: see below + vegan snag x 2

S: apple and 2 vitaweats with vegemite

That looks good! Do you put dressing on it?    

Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Breakfast: 1 egg scrambled in coconut oil and mixed with kimchi

Some days I have rich coffee.

Snacks: fruit, vegetables and kombucha

Lunch: Vegetables. For this season I am loving fresh cut up tomatoes, sliced cucumbers with the skin, avocado....all sprinkled with salt. Maybe fruit for dessert.

Snacks: Sometimes more veggies and fruit, sometimes celery and hummus, sometimes yogurt, sometimes dried fruit....kombucha!

Dinner: Something kid friendly. I usually like quinoa or rice with meat or beans and lots of veggies. Sometimes I just eat a nice local cheese and some veggies.

I do occasionally eat ice cream in the evenings. Or dark chocolate!

Joyful mama of 3.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List