need ideas for healthy campfire foods. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

/Hello,

My family and I are heading of next week to visit family. We will be going to a cottage on the lake and eating by campfire. I do not want to feed my 2 year old DD hotdogs, so am looking for other suggestions of things that would be easy to take, make and store.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 AM

Skewered meat and veggies.  In 1 ziplock bag you can put the cubed meat with a marinade.  Pack the veggies (already prepped) and the skewers separately.  Build the skewers right before cooking over the fire.

Baked potatoes:  bake them ahead at home, cool and wrap in foil (if not already foil-wrapped).  The foil-wrapped, pre-baked potatoes will heat up quickly near the fire/in the coals.  You can bring already prepped toppings (crumbled bacon, green onion, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.).

Bagged salad kits are handy - you can even toss with the dressing right in the bag and serve.

For lunches you can bring sandwich fixings, pasta or potato salad, fruit salad, veggies with dip.

I also love bringing whole fruits such as melons and cutting them up and serving in big wedges - great for a snack or breakfast.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One of our favorite camping dinners are "hobo packs"

Bring tinfoil, butter/olive oil, a variety of chopped veggies (onions, carrots, potatos, green beans), cubed raw meat (steak or chicken), and a variety of seasonings. Everyone gets to construct their own tinfoil packet and toss it on some hot coals (about 30 minutes I think?). Healthy, fun and easy to put together, and satisfies a variety of different tastes. 

Lots of fruit and raw veggies with dips (hummus, guacamole, salsa)

Boil some eggs ahead of time

Pasta salad

Grilled corn on the cob

Trail mix with nuts and dried fruits (and maybe some M&Ms for a treat)

Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Things to make ahead:

Brocolli Salad

Coleslaw

Pasta Salad with diced peppers, cheese, any other veg you like

Just don't dress the salads until the day you plan to use them.  All will keep without getting soggy for a few days at least.

Bring homemade muffins or quick breads like healthy banana bread for snacks

Bring dried cereal for snacks/breakfast

Plain ol' fruit or berries are good snacks.  Depending on where you camp you can pick some yourself

Bring a can of tuna or salmon for sandwiches in a pinch

Things to cook or in the fire:

- potatoes (wrap in foil and cook right in the coals, the leftovers are great for hashbrowns the next day)

- corn on the cob (leave the corn in the husk, soak a few hours before cooking.  Wrap in foil and cook right in the coals still wrapped in the husk)

- green beans (wrap in foil with a little oil or butter, garlic, salt and pepper.  Cook right on the grill)

- baked beans - canned or make from scratch ahead, freeze and bring along

- mushrooms - right in the skillet

- tangine with couscous.  If you have a dutch oven or heavy pot, just cook chicken, tomatoes, veg, spices right on the fire

If you have a cast iron skillet:

- Chicken with onion and musrooms:  Dice up mush and onions (bread crumbs too if you have).  Saute in the cast iron skillet with butter, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.  Flatten out chicken thighs.  Roll up some of the stuffing in the flattened thigh, skewer with a wood skewer.  When all the breasts are done, saute in the cast iron (don't bother washing it after the stuffing) until chicken is cooked through and outside is golden.  Remove chicken.  Deglaze the pan with some redwine, add some cream, simmer briefly and you have a beautiful pan gravy for the chicken.

Steak:  Season steak with your choice of seasoning.  We use Montreal Steak Spice.  Get the cast iron skillet nice and hot.  Drop in some butter.  When it is melted, put the steak in on top, add some butter to the top of the steak.  It will melt into the meat as the steak cooks.  When your steak is ready (based on your desired temp, for this process which is like a Chicago style, I suggest rare to med rare at most and not a thin cut.  Works great with a rib steak), flip the steak, cook to desired temp.  Remove and rest.  Keep the pan good and hot.  The outside will be beautifully caramelized.  Yumm

Enjoy your trip!!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM

We made grilled salmon, potatoes from the coals and grilled asparagus one night we went camping, and creamy chicken-wild rice and vegetable soup the next. We invested in a big cast iron post so we could cook over the open flame. Lots of meats can be grilled, and veggies wrapped in foil and either grilled or set in the coals to cook slowly. The soup was surprisingly easy- I did all the pre at home, just added the chopped veggies, cooked rice, meat, and base into the pot and let it simmer. Delicious. We also managed whole wheat yested pancakes ona griddle over the fire, with sausage and eggs on the side and some fruit salads, granola bars and s'mores with homemade graham crackers and marshmallows as well.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List