Mothering Forum banner

eat 4 your blood type

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  iwearredsocks 
#1 ·
anyone read the book or follow this i am ver curious. All the foods i am not suppose to eat i do and i amover weight HMMM makes me wonder? Any input?

Amy

#2 ·
I read a lot of different diet and health books and this is what I do with different diets, I take the parts that work for me and make me feel better and incorporate them into my life and the rest I just ignore.

So I 'd say, try it for a month or two and see how you feel.

#3 ·
so glad some one responded. I am o as well my son is b dd is a and dh is AB uggh lol. I am the one with the weight problem and it says wheat is a big factor and anything with coconut. I love red potatos and it says thats a NO NO several of the other things i real like i cant have or says i cant. I am gonna restrict my Wheat and see if that helps. Tell me what you eat lol I really need to loose this weight and no matter what i do i cant. Also do you think you fit the profile they give for o blood I do.

Thanks
Amy

#4 ·
I basically eat a whole foods diet. I try to include protein, fat and complex carbs at each meal. I try to use a lot of grains besides wheat though I do eat Ezekial whole wheat sprouted bread when I don't bake my own.

I eat a lot of eggs (we have our own chickens), occasional chicken and fish, a lot of beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, nut and seed butter. We eat a lot of brown rice and lots of veggies. Only rarely do I eat processed food. I only drink water or herbal tea and occasional a glass of wine.

So that's pretty much it for me - and yes I do think I fit the profile they gave for O.

#5 ·
I read the book aswell and incorporate parts of it. I am an O and was not doing well without a little animal protein in my diet.

The good thing about limiting wheat is that there are a lot of choices now in alternative grains, if you can eat those, and you can bake with things like almond meal which are high protein and grain-free.

#8 ·
Most blanket statements about nutrition are irresponsible and don't even make sense if you really think about them. (okay, so we all can agree that hydrogenated oils are really bad for you, but ykwim!) Not every type O or every vegetarian or every woman or every person with colon cancer should eat the same things, take the same supplements, etc. There are plenty of vegetarians out there who are type O, and are very healthy, maybe even healthier than if they were following the high animal protein recommendations of said diet. There are so many factors to consider on an INDIVIDUAL basis when considering what kind of diet to follow. And sometimes you have to change a diet that's worked wonderfully for you for years because people change. You have to consider your metabolism, your allergies, foods that just "don't agree with you," blood type could be a factor for some people so could your constitutions (kapha, vitta, dosha), and the list goes on. If the recommendations for your type work for you, that's wonderful and you should absolutely do what works best for you, your dc, your family in general, but don't believe every blanket statement that is out there, work with different ideas to incorporate a number of them and create eating habits that are healthy for you, the INDIVIDUAL.

#9 ·
I am glad I found this thread. I have not read the book cover to cover, but i read most about my type, which is O. So is my husband and obviously our son (I assume that since we are both O. our son must be too, right?).

All the things that I should avoid make me sick. well most of them. not violently sick or anything like that, but I don't feel good after eating them.
I definetly don't feel good after glutan. That will be our goal - try to go gluten-free for while and see how we feel.
As far as meat goes - it scared me at first to see I should be eating red meat 3-5 times a week, but then again, it's very small portion. And I do like to eat meat and I feel fine after eating it. I don't have to have red meat that often though. I am excited about trying this diet out!
We have a health store here in town, that is certified gluten-free and the range of their GF products is HUGE!!!!!

I don't have problems with wieght, but I am sure I will loose some after starting this diet.

Please, everyone, keep us posted on how you are doing on this diet! I am interested to know!

#10 ·
Another type O who's been thriving on a vegetarian diet for 14 years (vegan for 1). I actually conducted a very informal poll on a vegan board I belong to, and the number of vegan type Os was pretty astounding! Most of what I've read on the actual science behind this book leads me to believe that, like many popular diet plans (particularly those which claim to be based on scientific research, but provide little or no supporting data from peer-reviewed studies), this one is largely fiction. That doesn't mean that the diet won't work well for some people, but that's just a matter of odds. Because individuals are different, you're likely to find SOME type-whatevers who feel better when they give up meat/wheat/dairy/whatever.

If the book works for you, more power to you. As a PP poster said, everyone is different. If you want to read more about the potential problems with the science of the book, however, here are some links. The first is written by 2 naturopathic physicians.

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/blood_hype.htm
http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

#11 ·
I am an O and have been incorporating this plan into my dietary life for a few months now, as well as some things from NT. Both myself and my son have seen really positive effects from it.
I don't agree with the "evolution" aspect of the blood type thing, but the agglunation aspect, in effect, that certain foods have properties that act the same as blood antigens, and can have a positive or negative effect, makes sense to me.
I, like Cathe, incorporate the things that are positive to me from different plans. It works for me.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cathe
I read a lot of different diet and health books and this is what I do with different diets, I take the parts that work for me and make me feel better and incorporate them into my life and the rest I just ignore.

So I 'd say, try it for a month or two and see how you feel.
This is whaqt I am trying to do. I am tryong to follow it again now, as it does make me feel better. I am type O. I think there is alot of truth in the book. I also agree you have to see what works for you though-maybe even go to theier online discussions about it. Because they are always changingthe book and updating it seems, and they explain things more clearly when you ask online questions. Good luck! I am hoping to shed my extra post baby weight more quickly with it. Although it is hard to cook for a family while following it religiously. I am going to to cut out many things though completely and work with the rest.

#14 ·
I must add that since I posted the above, I am back to being vegan and am doing fine. I just make sure I get plenty of protein and fat in my diet. I think my problem before on a vegan diet (and this was about 9 or 10 years ago when I had problems) is that socalled health experts at that time were proclaiming the nonfat diet and that was just not healthy - for any blood type.

#15 ·
Haha - I didn't notice how old this thread was since it was in April of last year.

I, too, get a lot of healthy fats (flaxseed oil, borage oil, olive and canola oil, palm oil, avocado, coconut milk) and protein (some soy, and lots of beans, almonds (I'm allergic to other nuts) and seeds.)

Although I do have some chronic health issues like asthma, allergies, and migraines, I had them even more when I wasn't vegan.

#16 ·
I haven't researched it extensively, but the premise of the book seems a bit simplistic to me. I am a type A (the "veggie" blood type), however, and have always felt best on a vegan or strict vegetarian diet.
: I have never been one to restrict fat in my diet, though. I try to avoid the unhealthy ones, but other than that I use the healthy ones liberally in my diet.

#17 ·
Type A here - I just finished the book last week. In its favor, I have friends who it's done wonders for.

However, I don't fit the A profile at all. I can eat anything and feel fine. I eat mostly vegan now (and feel great), but a couple years ago when I did the Atkins thing I felt great then, too.

I guess I just have an iron gut. But he does make me wonder what the results will be "down the road".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.