Tasty alternatives to potatoes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 14-year-old son suffers from ulcerated colitis and cannot eat potatoes .

He also doesn´t like meat very much , but has no problems digesting it , but lately we´ve been kind of at a loss of what to make for him , that he will eat and that tastes good , other than the obvious pasta and rice .

Or , even better , anybody maybe suffering from the same problem , that can give me some pointers towards what diet would would work for him . 

As I am a newly single Mother , it has to be budget-friendly though eyesroll.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hugs, mama.  You might want to check into the paleo books.  That style of eating would be healthy to the intestines and remove the more inflammatory foods in a regular diet.  "Everyday Paleo" was apparently written by a busy mom and has a lot of easy recipes. I didn't even realize my family was eating this way until I had to study it.  It's not as overwhelming as it may seem at first.

Although paleo allows for nuts, I would cut back on them; and I would add as much home made bone broth as I could as it's an excellent intestinal healer and wonderful source of nutrients that a lot of a people with intestinal issues aren't otherwise able to extract from their food.  

Oh--and you can wash, cut and roast radishes--and they taste and "feel" a lot like potatoes.  They lost a lot of their zing when roasted.

Hope this helps!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

You know , I have been getting into alternatives for him lately and I have been stumbling across the paleo diet everywhere , seems like someone was leading me to it goodvibes.gif

The problem , we have is , that he cannot digest rye well at all , gets him bloated like a hot air balloon , potatoes as well , certain milk , depending on , which brand it is ., and all citrus fruits are also a big no-no .

But the frustrating thing is , when we had him checked for food allergies with the doctor , they told us , " no , no , no , all is well , he is just a picky eater ! " which makes me so mad .

I mean , I KNOW my child , and I can tell , that he is not pretending , if he is in pain after eating something , he cannot handle  banghead.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, there's a lot of controversy about the testing.  For example: if they did an IgE test, those intolerances may not have shown up.  We were fortunate to have a great immunologist long ago and he said that all the blood work in the world wasn't going to hold a candle to removing a suspected irritant and looking for a reaction.  So I would say to go with what you see.

We also landed in paleo completely by virtue of avoiding irritant foods.  eyesroll.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

That is the problem I see , too . For example , when they tested me for ulcerated colitis , htey found nothing , however , in 2 previous tests , it clearly showed , that I in fact do have it , and when I asked the doctor why the last results came up like that , he told me  , all that needs to happen is that I am symptome-free for a while and they take a sample on the " wrong " spot ( in my case an unaffected area )  and boom , negative result

And that is what I believe happened to my son .

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page