Healthy muffin ideas ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody have ideas for healthy muffins , my kids could have for breakfast or in-between snacks ? 

I am on a tight budget right now and we are trying to drastically reduce the amount of cereal , they eat as well as me believing , that a muffin is a better option than sugary flakes 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#2 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 PM

I make muffins a lot, and they vary by what I have on hand. I found a recipe for carrot applesauce muffins here http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1476

I usually double the recipe and use a blend of whole wheat and white flour since I find that using all wheat is heavier than I prefer. Sometimes I substitute shredded zucchini for some or all of the carrot. Can also use mashed banana, or add-in things like oatmeal, raisins, dry apricots, or walnuts. Basically I'll just use muffin recipes as a basic guideline, but they are very customizable. 

#3 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

I just made some raisin bran muffins that my picky kids really liked.

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

#4 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We like pumpkin or sweet potato muffins. I use about a cup of mashed cooked pumpkin or sweet potato and whole wheat flour and reduce the sugar (since the pumpkin or sweet potato adds sweetness) for a fairly healthy muffin. 

#5 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

We like pumpkin or sweet potato muffins. I use about a cup of mashed cooked pumpkin or sweet potato and whole wheat flour and reduce the sugar (since the pumpkin or sweet potato adds sweetness) for a fairly healthy muffin. 

Oh , I never even thought about using sweet potatoes . And I LOVE them ! Pumpkin is near impossible to get , but we do have lots of sweet potatoes in the bigger grocery stores !

So , do you basically put the sweet potato mash in a bowl and then adjust the rest of the ingredients , until the batter has the right consistency ?  

We´d have to use half white and half whole wheat flour though , since one of my son´s doesn´t do well with 100 % wholegrain , but other than that , I got to try that !

So far , my muffin experiments went as far as blueberry streusel ( love.gif ) and chocolat , so new shores here we go !

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#6 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieP View Post

I just made some raisin bran muffins that my picky kids really liked.

Could you post that recipe ? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oread View Post

I make muffins a lot, and they vary by what I have on hand. I found a recipe for carrot applesauce muffins here http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1476

I usually double the recipe and use a blend of whole wheat and white flour since I find that using all wheat is heavier than I prefer. Sometimes I substitute shredded zucchini for some or all of the carrot. Can also use mashed banana, or add-in things like oatmeal, raisins, dry apricots, or walnuts. Basically I'll just use muffin recipes as a basic guideline, but they are very customizable. 

I do that as well , thanks for the link , they sound fabulous !!!

#7 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 PM

I like whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat flour in quick breads and cakes.
#8 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM

I've modified an oatmeal muffin recipe to make it healthier and DS LOVES them (well, me too, they are super yummy).

1 cup buttermilk (can use regular milk or coconut milk)

1 cup quick oats

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup multipurpose flour (I have used all whole wheat before and they were quite good, but also used coconut milk in that batch instead of buttermilk)

1/2 tsp baking soda

1.5 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup agave nectar (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup brown sugar)

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup vegtable or canola oil (if you don't have coconut oil, you can use any type of oil/shortening that doesnt have a strong flavor, for 1/2 cup total of oil or shortening)

1 egg, beaten 

1 tsp vanilla

1.5 cups (or as much as you like) fruit, berries or whatever (last batch was yummy blueberries, but I've used dates, saskatoons, raspberries, chocolate chips...)

Combine buttermilk and oatmeal in a bowl.  Let stand while you combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Sift dry ingredients together.  To oatmeal/milk mixture, add agave nectar (or brown sugar) oil, egg, and vanilla and fruit.  Mix well.  Dump dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Stir until just combined, or your muffins will be chewy.  Bake at 400F for 15-20 mins, or until tops start to become golden brown.

Yumm! 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

So , do you basically put the sweet potato mash in a bowl and then adjust the rest of the ingredients , until the batter has the right consistency ?  

Sweet Potato Muffins

2 cups flour (a mix of white and whole wheat is fine - you could also use a little spelt or other flours too)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp each nutmeg and ginger

1/2 cup brown sugar (*may increase up to 1 cup or add some molasses)

1/2 cup butter, melted or vegetable oil

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato

1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (**may need to add a couple of tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 375F. 

Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt and spices in a bowl

In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar with melted butter, then add sweet potato, eggs and milk, beating well together.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just until mixed together. 

Spoon into greased muffin tin. 

Bake for about 20 minutes, until tester comes out clean. 

*The original recipe called for 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup molasses - I find that's too sweet for us, but you may want to adjust

**Sometimes I adjust the sweet potato/milk ratio - it may need a little more milk for a moist batter if the sweet potatoes were dry

You can also experiment a little with the spices - eg. add a pinch of cloves 

#10 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Here's the raisin bran muffin recipe:

1 cup wheat bran1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup raisins

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup applesauce

1/4 cup chopped nuts 

1/2 cup honey

2 tbsp butter

2 eggs

Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

#11 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both , I already went to the store to buy the ingredients and will be trying these tonight !

#12 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 PM

#13 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Easiest recipe  I skipped the chocolate chips & doubled the batch.  They freeze well too!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page