I eat grains and dairy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I'm just starting this thread because it seems like everyone is cutting out grains and dairy these days. I eat them like crazy! Who's with me?

Grains are fantastic! I think I'm going to have oatmeal this morning. Also, I made whole-wheat buns yesterday and I'm going to have  sandwich on them for lunch. I'm making rice for dinner. I snack on crackers all day. YUM.

I drink 2 glasses of skim milk a day. Everything tastes better with cheese on it. OM NOM NOM

Obviously, you have to cut these things out if you're allergic to them or whatever. But I am not. I just wanted a thread to celebrate the wonderfulness of grains and dairy, because I think they are unfairly getting a bad rep.

Milk is high in protein, calcium, vitamin A, and other things. Whole grains are cheap, keep you full, are full of fibre, and make a complete protein when mixed with a legume. They are recommended!

I know some people cut out grains to lose weight, and perhaps that works, but you can also lose weight while eating grains. I'm 5'5 and weigh 115 pounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Haha, yes, I'm the other person on Earth still eating grains and dairy.  Every time I am told that dairy causes inflammation I silently add:  "... of my a$$." in my head and move on.  thumb.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Ha!  I'll play.  yummy.gif

I have cereal or oatmeal or yogurt pretty much every morning.  Veggie burritos with brown rice and cheese are a staple lunch option.  I don't think I could go on without pasta.  Or sushi.  Or pizza.  In the freezer right now I have a variety of whole grain breads, english muffins, and pitas.  And there's probably four kinds of cheese in the fridge.  eat.gif

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
Old 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Well , I gotta admit , I couldn´t do without a nice bowl of homemade granola or a slice of freshly baked bread ! Or yoghurt yummy.gif

Or cheese ...or tabouleh ....or a nice cup of warm , steaming cocoa on a cold fall afternoon ...

No , no , definitely could not do without it , healthy or not ...

I actually tried for a while and I did´t feel good at all , so won´t be going for that again !shake.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ha, ha... sometimes it does feel like being in a small minority, doesn't it?

Yes, we eat grains and dairy here. I like baking my own bread and making my own granola. We regularly eat muffins and pancakes and biscuits for breakfast. We like wraps, tacos and burritos, egg rolls, and samosas, as well as good, old-fashioned sandwiches.  

My kids guzzle milk. We buy about 3 gallons per week. I tend to drink it only in coffee and tea, but I can't imagine eating fresh baked chocolate chip cookies or a slice of chocolate cake without a glass of cold milk. I must have yoghurt (often homemade too) on my homemade granola. In my refrigerator, I have feta and mini boconcini (for topping salads), parmesan (for pasta), sliced havarti (for sandwiches), and cheddar and brie (for crackers). There may be some other kind lurking in there that I can't recall right now. 

For dinner tonight - perogies with sour cream, yum!! 

Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We eat grains and dairy :-)

I make our own muesli with rolled oats, unprocessed oat bran and quinoa flakes. I also sometimes make our own bread but I'd like to do it more often. We have pizza bases, English muffins and crumpets and fruit bread in the freezer and bread and flat bread in the fridge. We also eat rice, pasta and cous cous regularly.

We don't drink milk on its own but we have it on cereal and cheese is a staple - cheddar, Parmesan, haloumi and fetta are regulars for us. And we love yoghurt on cereal or just by itself.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM

My family consumes tons of whole grains but no dairy since we're vegan orngtongue.gif

Oatmeal, whole wheat pasta and cous cous, rices, breads, wraps.....you name it, we eat it.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 PM

I love grains. My body just craves carbs naturally and does well with any type of grain. I could eat cereal, bread and pasta every day and most days I eat at least two of those options.

Cannot do the dairy though, it just doesn't sit well with my digestive system. I do, however, consume lots of soy products instead and those seem to be getting a bad reputation lately too! They work for me.

My food choices are not as much informed by ideological choices as digestive comfort...

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM

I have a dairy craving sometimes , we have fil here in Sweden and it´s kind of a mix between yoghurt and buttermilk , so good ! yummy.gif

Plus oatmeal , nothing like a bowl of warm , steaming porridge on a cold morning !

Oh man , I am getting hungry now biggrinbounce.gif

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

If you like grains and dairy:

brown rice

black lentils

lemon

olive oil

salt

parsley

red peppers, roasted, raw, or flakes

feta

So, you cook your rice and lentils and mix them together with salt, olive oil and lemon juice.  Mix in the parsley, chopped, the red pepper and the feta.  Consume at embarassing rate.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 AM

drool.gif

Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I eat grains and dairy too. I even love to bake decadent desserts that are not whole grain and have regular sugar in it. Not often, but when I do I sure do love it. :)

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Us, too! We drink lots of kefir, yogurt, cheese on everything and we are about to eat enchiladas with cream poured over them (my mom's recipe). I also love scones and biscuits, etc. :) We eat buckets of rice and steel cut oats here.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Eliminating normal foods from the diet is a fad right now. I find it to be very odd.

I work at a health food store so I am constantly filled in on customers eating habits. Some have HUGE lists of things they just can't eat based on almost nothing. Some are convinced that they are doing something very important for themselves or their children. I find it (in most situations) to be sort of silly.

I don't eat large quantities of grain and dairy, mainly because I like to mainly fill my body up with fresh raw fruits and veggies but I do eat some of both of those food groups in moderation.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM

We eat grains and dairy too.  My body functions best with a big breakfast of cereal w/nuts, berries and milk or yogurt.  Cheese is one of the best things in life imo!  

Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM

I eat grains and dairy!  Yogurt with granola is my favorite thing to have for breakfast.  I have been guzzling milk like crazy since I have been craving it during this pregnancy.  I feel very healthy and don't see a need to cut anything out of my diet.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 AM

I love grains, we're crazy about grains - we live in Europe. 

We also eat lots of diary products but not the milk (we don't like it and the cow milk is unhealthy, cheese is too but we like it yummy.gif)

Food allergies are quite rare here and we're happy we can eat all that we like. 

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We do to. The kids drink kefir more often than milk and eat a fair amount of yogurt and cheese too. And plenty of whole grains.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Lots of grains here! Infact, our staple mix includes white rice, brown rice, qunioa, millet, black rice, buckwheat and barley. This bed of blended grains is what we use with almost any rice based meal. So yeah, we love them! And yay for pasta with some yummy parmasan cheese. We make our own yoghurt. We eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every single day and we make it with whole milk. Grains and dairy are an integral part of our diet.  This and a boatload of bananas!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

us as well-we do both.......our grain filled breakfast is warming now eat.gif

IRL I have found that those who do not do grain are suffering from more aliments (yet the claim it was all because of the grains)-I also tend to like the mood of those who do eat grains-NOT SAYING this is the case for all-just what I see

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM

I feel the same way , if I only eat non-dairy and non-grain foods for a while , I feel that I really , really start craving both ! I eat very healthy in general and do try to " listen " to my body , so I believe , the signals it sends me , are quite accurate

Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Me too!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 PM

CelloDad was BreadBoy: he was happy to eat three bread meals a day.  Then one summer, boom, he became sensitive to gluten.  I had to learn to cook all over again.  Not to mention, I love bread too!  After a while I realised that my periods, which had become crazy heavy, became manageable. So that's totally worth it.  Now I have my children on reduced gluten, just to ward off the allergy for them - because there is nothing like a good loaf of bread.

We are dairy central, though.  Mostly grass fed raw stuff.  And we still eat all the other grains: teff, quinoa, millet, sorghum, going gluten free made me discover a whole new world!

Choose your rice carefully.  I'm sure you've heard of the Consumer Reports report on arsenic in rice.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

yes i too eat grains and dairy. rolled barley is my new find and i LOVE it. wish it was more commonly available. its made me dislike oats since now i find oats slimy.

but oooh i love me some meusli. yum yum yum!!!!

dairy mostly milk. 

however had to cut gluten and dairy from dd's diet. had a huge impact on her tummy aches. the other night she gorged on friend's cheezits and the next morning she was doubled over in such pain she could not go to school. she is not a celiac but definitely sensitive to them. 

so gluten and dairy is only for me - not dd. it is funny. her body is defining her taste. the kind of gluten she can handle she loves to eat (an occasional treat of freshly baked no preservatives bread). however pancakes at a sleepover - she can hardly eat even half of a tiny pancake. she has never liked burgers coz of the bread (i discovered later) and she has always prefered a burrito bowl from chipotle's rather than the flour tortilla wrapped burrito. 

however interestingly enough when i can afford raw milk dd can handle it. if i get fresh bread from the local bakery OR if i do sprouted bread (all wheat based) dd can handle some of it. 

when i was going through perimenopause i had to give up gluten. it made me SLEEPY. it was my sleeping pill. so for a while i only ate it for dinner.

however due to dd we do more gluten free grains. her favourite breakfast are brown rice nori rolls. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM

One thing , I have noticed about myself is , that I can eat my own homemade bread without any problems , but the store bought , even if it is low ingredient , gives me gas at best and at worst makes me downright ill ! 

I don´t know , if it´s the enzymes they put into it or the enzyme/grain combo , but maybe others have had the same issue and can enlighten me a bit with their experiences 

Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

I eat grains and dairy.  I eat them often and I eat them together.  eat.gif

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM

I'm trying to figure out what kind of grains and dairy I want for breakfast right now.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Here we can buy an oatmeal/quinoa flake mix , that you cook just like regular oatmeal ! drool.gif

Soooo yummi !!!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I'm trying to figure out what kind of grains and dairy I want for breakfast right now.

how about some buckwheat and rice flour mix pancakes? i sometimes eat them with mulberry jam mixed in Greek yoghurt, mainly coz the jam is too sweet and i need to figure out ideas of how to eat it.

yesterday i had 'lunch' for bfast. had a long day. ate buckwheat and lentils with veggies with a salad on teh side. took snacks for lunch.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List