Your favorite Peach Raspberry Jam Recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We came home with tons of lovely organic raspberries and peaches from the UPick today and I'm making jam or preserves tonight.  I am looking for a reliable recipe-preferably no pectin and low sugar.  Please share if you have one or can help me modify an existing recipe.  I have the Ball book but am a beginner so don't really trust my modifications.  Should I even worry about the pectin?  Seems artificial so I want to avoid it but when I made strawberry/rhubarb without it it was runny. 

TIA!

Amy

#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have any great recipes for you that are low sugar--the one I use has plenty of sugar in it.

One comment about pectin--it's not artificial.  Pectin naturally exists in many fruits and vegetables.

#3 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM

7 cups         Crushed, Peeled Peaches (ripe, but no bruises)
10 cups        Sugar
  2 cups        Raspberries (fresh or frozen)

3 pkg          Raspberry Jello (3 oz.)

Bring peaches, sugar and raspberries to a boil and boil for 15 minutes.  During cooking, add 2 tablespoons of butter (to hold down foam).  

Take off the heat and add two (3 oz.) packages of raspberry jello.

Add two heaping cups of raspberries and 1/2 cup sugar and cook it for 20 minutes.  

Before you start to cook the jam, sterilize the bottles for 10 minutes in boiling water upside down.

Heat the lids on warm or low heat for 10 minutes.  Boil the jam.  Fill the jelly jars to 1/2” from the top of the jar.  Adjust the lids and rings.  Invert bottle upside down for 8 minutes.  Tip right side up over night.  Test for seal.  Store in cool place.

Makes 6-7 pints. 

#4 of 4 Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM

I looked quickly & didn't find a peach-raspberry recipe that I've bookmarked anywhere, but I've really liked the pick your own site and have experimented off of their recipes for various single fruit jams just fine (adding a second fruit or flavoring of some kind)  --  I'd pick either the peach or raspberry recipe, and then just go for the same amount of fruit as it requires (using your prepared peaches/raspberries combined).  

Here's their raspberry jam recipe (I used their peach recipe earlier this year for a peach-lavender jam, so that one's good too).  

I use pectin, and feel pretty much about it like they do on this site (good to have to cook the jam less, thus preserving more yummyness and vitamins from the fruit than cooking for a long length of time).

You probably already made your jam by now - hope it turned out well! 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page