'whole foods' families- what are you eating..... meal ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,
I am hoping to get some great ideas for my family. I have been struggling for years with different 'diets' (vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, gaps) trying to find what is the healthiest. I am to the point where I think whole and natural foods made at home will work best for us.

Please share meals and recipes and links and ideas!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Wow... where do I start!  I found that when we got to whole foods, our meals weren't much for recipes anymore.  I mean, we make a protein and then we make a bunch of veggies.  We don't eat much in the way of rice, beans or potatoes just because they take too long for me and I'm too lazy to soak stuff.  But we have them occasionally.

My "go to" is a roasted chicken because I can stick it in the oven and leave it alone.  I throw some beets in there, too and then add a salad (which in my house is lettuce or spinach with a little salt, EVOO, and white vinegar for lettuce or balsamic for spinach).

I also like to throw salmon in a foil packet into the oven for 20 minutes and serve that with whatever vegetables I have--usually there's some kale or chard around and I throw that in some hot oil and garlic, toss it to coat it and let it cook for a total of about 5 minutes.  Then I include some carrots with hummus.

Love this Red Lentil Chili and often I make a double or triple batch and freeze the extra.  I make it with veggie broth in case I need a meal to take to a mama from my Holistic Moms chapter and they're vegan.  ;)

I'll throw some beef in a crock pot with home made broth and just about any veggies I have in the house.

Oh--I spiralize zucchini and serve it with home made pesto.  My husband warms it up by steaming it a tiny bit to soften it a little more.  We use it like pasta.

I make a lot of broth and can it so some nights I'm making soup by just throwing whatever I have in a pot with some home made broth.

Hope this gives you a start!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List