all purpose muffin recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak'ing but i'll try to get my question across...

does anyone have a recipe for muffin mix (like dry ingredients you put together and store in bulk) that you can add whatever to? i did a search for this and all of the recipes had really specific ingredients for that particular type of muffin. or just a plain add dried fruit or nuts, makes 12 muffins kind of recipe?

i have a bunch of dried fruit and nuts that i'd like to just be able to chop up and throw into a muffin mix but i'm not sure what goes into the mix... TIA!
#2 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 07:44 AM

I just googled for "master muffin mix recipe" and got a lot of hits. This was the first. Clearly, this is the "white-bread" version. :P

Master Muffin Mix

5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

Pour all the ingredients into a large zipper-style plastic bag. Seal top and shake well until mixed. Stores in refrigerator for 2 months.

HTH!
~nick
#3 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 09:46 AM

Oy, yeah, the nutritional value of that recipe is like, none.

Kimberly
#4 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, actually that does help. now at least i have a place to start and can make substitutions as needed.

i don't have the money to buy lots of ingredients that would only be used for one thing and the rest discarded. like one recipe called for buttermilk. i hate buttermilk and rarely use dairy so that one was out. really i just needed a recipe to play around with that isn't going to cost a fortune and leave me with inedible muffins. i think with some of the vegan muffin recipes, regular muffin recipes and the "white bread" :LOL recipes combined i can come up with something that won't kill us.
#5 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 04:37 PM

If a recipe calls for buttermilk, you can always substitute either regular milk that you've added a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to OR yogurt. I buy big containers of organic plain or vanilla yogurt on sale and freeze it in 1 cup portions. All I have to do is pull one portion out about 30 minutes before I plan to whip up muffins and away I go.
#6 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 05:06 PM

This is the basic muffin recipe I use, with my usual variations noted below:

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
pinch vanilla extract
1 cup fruit

I usually use wheat flour and no salt. I often use half butter, half applesauce, though you could probably substitute with all applesauce. I use raw sugar (and at some point will try honey instead of sugar). I usually use a bit more than 1/2 c. buttermilk, but, as Katie Bug's Mama noted, you could certainly substitute yogurt. Our standard is blueberry (ds' favorite), and I love 'em with walnuts!

HTH!!
#7 of 12 Old 04-19-2004, 09:06 PM

Aack! I can't find my "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" which has the LLL Baking mix recipe which is like the WW version of bisquick or something. Seems like that would be a good one to use. Sorry I can't find it!! Maybe somebody has the cookbook laying around????
#8 of 12 Old 04-20-2004, 11:48 AM

I thought I had Whole Foods for the Whole Family but alas I have Feeding the Whole Family (which does not have a generic muffin mix recipe).

I did find this online... is this the correct LLL Baking Mix?

LLL Baking Mix
8 c. whole wheat flour
5 T. baking powder
1 T. salt
1 to 2 c. milk powder
1 1/2c. oil
Optional: 1/2 c. nutritional yeast

Instruction: Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Work in the oil with fingers until crumbly. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator. Recipe may be doubled. May substitute whole wheat pastry flour for whole wheat. Milk powder may be omitted in case of milk allergy. Yield: 11 cups.

Approx. Per Cup: Cal 609; Protein 16 grams; Carbo 72 grams; Fiber 11 g; 45% calories from fat; Chol 2 mg; Sodium 1102 mg.

High Protein Mix: In place of 8 cups of whole wheat, use 5 1/2 c. whole wheat flour, 1 c. soy flour and 1/12 c wheat germ.

Whole Grain: In place of 8 c. of whole wheat flour, use 5 c. whole wheat flour, 1 c. bran, 1c wheat germ and 1 c. cornmeal. May substitute 1 c. oatmeal, rye flour, brown rice flour or other whole grain flour for cornmeal.

I am sort of baking impared, what do you do with the mix? Temp/time?
#9 of 12 Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM

I recognize it! That's it!

I THINK the time/temps/recipes were very, very similar to, say Bisquick. You have to be used to WW flour baked goods, though for it to work for the family. Mine wasn't "there" yet and didn't like what I baked with it. I ended up using a "baking mix" that was kind of zero nutritionally but used half-and-half ww and white flour to make it more palatable to the family.

Gosh, I wish I could find that darn book.
#10 of 12 Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 PM

For the wheat free variety, try http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/detail.php?rid=485

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#11 of 12 Old 04-20-2004, 08:26 PM

okay, I have to admit that for muffins I use a mix. I love it though and so does my dd. You can do all kinds of variations and it's vegan! http://www.goodbaker.com/muffins.html

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#12 of 12 Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

wow thanks! we should be dining on delectable muffins soon. either that or i have a lot of dried fruit and nuts to eat.:LOL

my dad gets commodities from some of the women in his apartment complex. they get way more than they can eat and i'm always glad to have them. sometimes it is a bit of a challenge to figure out what to do with 5 pounds of dried cherries though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page