What do you do with...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

There are foods that just stump me...or that I get into such a rut preparing. Can we exchange ideas on how to prepare various foods? I'll start...

What do you do with EGGPLANT? I've been getting eggplant in my farm share lately. It's not my favorite food, but I don't dislike it. I'm kind of blah about it. Any suggestions on how to prepare it, maybe combined with other things so it's not the star of the dish, but more of a complimentary ingredient?

Looking forward to your suggestions and your questions on "What do you do with ... ?"

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

eggplant potato curry

start by frying your potato chunck (cover and use plenty of butter/oil)

while thats going...

cut a whole onion(i like sweet/yellow onion) I like sliced but you could chop it

put your onion in, keep covered

dont forget the garlic

cumin

yellow curry

salt

then put the eggplant in last (cut in chunks)

red chili if you like spicy

cook until egg plant is tender

One little tip:  if you really don't like eggplant, put it in earlier and if will cook down to nothing.  You won't even know it's there.  And don't skimp on the butter/oil. I add some while cooking too.

More tips: use brown russet pot. they break off a little and makes a nice gravy as you stir it a lot.  Add a little water or broth to make it more gravy like.  serve with rice.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#3 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Eggplants just give and give, don't they? I have tons coming out of my garden too!  

Here is how I prepare mine: I cut them in circles and soak it to take the bitter taste out of it.  Then I drain it.  

While it is draining, I prepare a bowl with pressed garlic (however much you want to use), salt, generous amount of olive oil, other Italian herbs (fresh thyme, oregano etc), balsamic vinegar and mix.  After that, I put the egg plants in a baking pan, drizzle the mix and bake at like 350, until it is done.  This is super easy and a delicious side dish.  

I sometimes add halved cherry tomatoes as well.  And with enough olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt to taste, it can even be your pasta sauce!

Enjoy.

#4 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

olive oil and garlic salt... bbq until soft and has some nice grill marks on it.

I also make a Spanish Pisto with tomato, onion, zuchinni, garlic and eggplant.  Cook it together with olive oil and salt and pepper until well mushed.... about 2-3 hours on low.  Have as a pasta sauce, over rice or just as a side dish.  I really love it.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Baba ganoush? It's a yummy dip made with roasted eggplant and garlic.

It's the only way I eat eggplant. I don't have a recipe because I never let eggplant into my house. I'm sure you could find a recipe fairly easily. 

#6 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-eggplant-spread-recipe/index.html

Roasted eggplant and red pepper dip.  I love it with pita chips!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#7 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM

No one suggests eggplant rolitini?  Wash the eggplant super-well, cut off the stem end and run it long-ways across a mandolin until you have a slice of eggplant vaguely resembling a lasagne noodle.  Sweat the "noodles" or soak in milk, rinse, fill with tomato sauce and cheese and other veggies or sausage or anything you might stick in a lasagne, roll up, secure with wet toothpicks, arrange them in a greased pan, cover with tomato gravy and stinky cheese, pop them in the oven and then 45 minutes or so later (after they've rested for 10 minutes), embarass yourself by eating 5. 

eat.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#8 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Lidia (on PBS) makes a tasty eggplant tomato sauce that I love. On her show she served it with pasta, I think rotini so big hearty pasta, but also put the leftover in a baking dish and cracked an egg or two on top, then baked it at 350 just until the egg was done with a runny yolk. She ate it with toasted crusty italian bread to scoop up the sauce and egg. It's sooo good.

http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/663

#9 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I have ever been this excited to eat eggplant! These recipes sound delicious.

Ok, I've got another: what do you do with SWISS CHARD? I like to put it in this beet risotto (if I don't have beet greens), but then I'm out of ideas. Suggestions?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#10 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

I don't think I have ever been this excited to eat eggplant! These recipes sound delicious.

Ok, I've got another: what do you do with SWISS CHARD? I like to put it in this beet risotto (if I don't have beet greens), but then I'm out of ideas. Suggestions?

I am super excited too!  I want to try all the other variations mentioned here.  

I really love Swiss Chard sauteed with red onions, olive oil and garlic.  Salt to taste.  Really simple but perfect side dish.  As a main, I like to put it in beef, potato stew.  But I really just prefer it sauteed.  Oh and a little bit of vinegar gives it a nice flavor.  

#11 of 25 Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM

I use usually put the leaves in salad and then eat them stems like celery in some tuna or chicken salad.  CRUNCH!  Yum.

#12 of 25 Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, these recipes for swiss chard sound yummy. Anyone else stumped by an ingredient?

#13 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

My DP mentioned this morning being bored with the chicken dishes we've been making. So, what do you do with CHICKEN?

#14 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Eggplant lasagna

Really easy , all you do is wash and then cut the ep lenghtwise in thin slices , about 2-3 mm

Then prepare all ingredients as for lasagna , except instead of layering it with noodle plates you use the ep slices , cover with your favourite cheese and stick in the oven until nice and brown

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#15 of 25 Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

keep some cooked chicken. however you cook it. sometimes i like boiling it with spices and veggies so that i have the stock.

shredd the cooked chicken.

stir fry veggies, add cooked pasta or rice or noodles to them. throw in the chicken. turn off the stove, take a dollop of kimchee and stir it all in. this is the one we use. http://www.healthguideinfo.com/dieting-tips/p36814/ thanks to our ethnic grocery stores. i use this just about for anything. it isnt as hot as it looks.

crispy fry lots of onions, add some bell peppers, squash or any veggies (or left overs of your choice), add the chicken, spice it the way you'd like and serve it as a sandwich, or burrito or on pasta or rice or noodles. the key is the amount of onions and fried till they are dark.

i am trying to think of unusual chicken dishes.

shakenbake chicken (havent made this in years though) and serve steak type sides with it. i've also made a mushroom sauce and used it instead of shake and bake chicken.

pasta with fried onions and zuchini (if you can fry them in a lot of oil, they really make this dish), then the shredded chicken and mrs dash.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 25 Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

Eggplant lasagna

Easy and yummy sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
i am trying to think of unusual chicken dishes.

Thanks for all of the chicken ideas.

Anyone else have an ingredient you are stuck on?

#17 of 25 Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM

Rice and pasta , those go with EVERYTHING !

Oh , and canned tomatoes and grilled peppers as well , they are unbeatable , when you need to make a quick meal

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#18 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Radishes!  Our CSA has been waaaay to bountiful in the radish department. 

#19 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM

RAISHES -- roast them, scrub, cut off greens. Half any large ones, toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Then bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so, turning at least once. They're like you've never had radishes before.
#20 of 25 Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

Anyone else have an ingredient you are stuck on?

This is the good part of getting a CSA for a couple of years. bountifuls become a part of your life. and so you dont get stuck on anything. my key is to roast, steam, soup, in a veggie burger. 

radish mashed potatoes

http://kidscooking.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/radishmashedpot.htm

mashed 'radish'

http://variouscooking-recipes.blogspot.com/2012/06/mashed-radish.html

http://food52.com/blog/3104_7_ways_to_use_spring_radishes

i also add radishes to my sandwich. 

radish soup http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1848,150164-250201,00.html

oh by the way i eat the greens too (usually cook in beans). i use a lot of daikon (giant asian radishes) and i use all the greens. i rarely throw out any greens from any root. not even carrot, though i dont use all of it. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#21 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Chicken tomatillo soup.   (On www.simplyrecipes.com.)

No fair sending me hate mail after you eat the whole pot and spend the night with a stomach ache.

I have never, never thought to roast radishes.  And now I need to, because I LOVE radishes.

What does everyone do with mushrooms?  I am trying to eat more mushroom, and so far I add them to red sauce, eat them in a lentil faux-taco meat, and sometimes an omelette.  Oh, or on a salad.  For the record, I still don't care for them raw.  I mean, I can, I just don't want to.

#22 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM

My 2 favorite mushroom dishes - mushroom potato gratin and mushroom stroganoff.  Both are really good and a tad less mushroomy tasting if it's not your favorite thing.  

Dh also always used to saute them with onions, garlic, pinch of dried thyme (cook the onions about 5 minutes, then add mushrooms & everything else for another 5 or until they're as well-done as you like) and we'd use them to top veggie burgers (with bbq sauce too) - good as it's own mushroom-onion sandwich as well.

#23 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM

MrsG do you eat salad regularly?

when i get mushrooms i saute them like mumkimum and keep them in the fridge and add them to my salads. i pretty much add them to anything.

if i am making a stir fry i add mushrooms to it mainly coz i am not a recipe cook so i can always improvise.

living in CA i also make a lot of ethnic foods, esp. now its cold we make a LOT of vietnamese soup. we rarely eat meat. so mushrooms is what adds flavor to the soup.

#24 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I love adding mushrooms to roasted veggie medleys, like red pepper and onion with mushrooms. 

Thanks for all the radish ideas.  I'm looking forward to pick-up day! (Watch we don't get any this time :))

#25 of 25 Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Oh yes , radish greens in salad , so good and so healthy ! They add a bit of zing to dishes , so you can use them instead of mustard greens and stuff like that .

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page