Please give me your favorite homemade chicken (or turkey) pot pie recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have made it before but did it without a recipe and can't remember how I did it. If I'm going to take all that time I'd like to go with something tried and true. Thanks! 

#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, no replies. I didn't post this is the vegan forum or something, did I? Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

#3 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM

I love the one from my CI cookbook.  I've been making it for years and it is a family favorite.

I did a quick search and found it on this blog (and for the record, I have no affiliation, I was just looking to see if I could find it already written up somewhere!).

http://thecontrarianmom.com/2011/10/31/chicken-pot-pie-cooks-illustrated/

A few other things:

It is great with chicken or with turkey.  I usually use leftover roasted meat or boneless thighs rather than breast (and it saves a little prep time with the leftover already cooked meat).

The sherry in the filling is key to the flavor - so good!

I use non hydrogenated palm shortening (Spectrum) in the crust for the 'shortening' portion.  I have also used (homemade, pastured) lard or coconut oil and both work - though coconut oil melts fast so I usually have to chill the dough a little more before rolling/baking.

It does take some time to put this together but to save time you can make the filling and the dough earlier in the day, then just assemble and bake for dinner.

I have also made the crust with a GF flour mix (I like Pamela's) and it works pretty well!

Hmn.....I think I'll have to make one soon - now I am craving pot pie!  My 2yo loves it so much - she'll chant 'pot pie! pot pie!'  lol

HTH!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that recipe. I might cheat and do a ready made crust. Do you think that would work okay as long as the crust was raw?

#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM

I don't follow a recipe, but here is my basic process:

Potatoes, about 2 or 3, depending on how big they are, diced.  (peeled if they are thick-skineed)

Carrots, 3 or 4, depending on how big they are, peeled and sliced

Medium onion, chopped rather finely

Celery, 1 or 2 stalks, chopped

Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and parsley to taste

Saute the above in about 3 TB of butter, until veggies begin to soften.  Add the following:

Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, depending on your taste, about 1 or 2 cups

Cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup (I prefer Pacific brand, or I make my own)

Chicken broth (not more than about 1 cup, to your taste)

Bring to a low boil, and simmer until veggies are nearly cooked, about 10-15 minutes.  While veggies are cooking, line a pie plate with crust.  (I actually use a 10" round stone pan).  When they are done, pour mixture into bottom crust, cover with the top crust, and put into oven.  Bake at 350* F for about 30-45 minutes, until crust is golden, and filling is bubbly.  I always put a baking sheet under my pan just in case it bubbles over.

If there is more filling than the container will hold, I enjoy it for lunch the following day.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page