Please help me understand probiotic supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm confused about probiotics. There are so many different kinds, brands, and strengths. I have no idea what to buy. I want to take something every day and also give something to my baby girl. Can anyone break it down for me? Like, what strength I should use and any brand recommendations? Why do some say I need to refrigerate them and others don't say anything about refrigeration? Thank you so much!

#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Bumping this up. Anyone have experience to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM

I don't know about dosage, but I can recommend Florajen3. From health practitioners I've talked to, it's the best broad-spectrum one. You definitely need to put them in the fridge. I've seen some brands on shelves that don't require refrigeration but those might not be the best quality? 

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#4 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm taking a vitacost brand right now, but it doesn't say it needs refrigeration, and I don't know if I need 10mil, 20mil, 35mil or what is best. Also, I'm also learning how to make Kefir. If I drink Kefir everyday, is that better than any probiotic supplement and can I just skip the supplement if I'm consuming it in foods? Confused about this as well. Thanks for anyone's thoughts or experiences :)

#5 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Probiotics: It's All in the Supplement Quality of Manufacture and Ingredients

If you can buy it in a grocery store, chain pharmacy, any other store specialty nutrition shops (online and in-person) notwithstanding, it is in all likelihood a total and complete waste of money, and this is true of most supplements commonly sold to consumers who have no clue that the compounds are very poorly absorbed when they're absorbed at all, much of it is excreted in urine without ever being absorbed and in the case of probiotics, the numbers they list on most bottles say "at the time of manufacture". Meaning, they make no guarantees that there are still that many live organisms in each pill, capsule or whatever, nor any absolute claim that any survived the manufacturing process. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's high-quality.

The more important detail is to purchase brands that have been tested and proved across their entire line of supplements. Douglas Labs, BioTech, Clinical Essentials, Egan Wellness are all brands with reputations for outstanding quality and consistency unlike that found in supplements sold in the places most people shop.

If you can get a high-grade yogurt and mix it with milk, it's a good way to get a baby to ingest the bacteria.

Here is a very nice article on the health benefits of probiotics: http://www.pamelaegan.com/articles/probiotics_0001/.

#6 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Great question!  Unfortantely, most probiotics vary tremedously in quality.  As a Naturopath who needs to be able to count on supplements to do the best job possible, I have learned that there are a couple of things to keep in mind when purchasing probiotics. 

First of all, most probiotics do require refrigeration because they have live bacteria that can get killed by high heat.  The main problem with this is the shipping from the manufacturer to the store where you buy them.  Sometimes, those shipments get very warm in transit, so you may not really be getting what the probiotic says it has on the bottle (25 billion per capsule).  Ideally, the company or store who carries the probiotic should get it shipped to them with ice packs in the shipping container, along with expidited shipping.  This prevents the problem of high heat.  Then you can store it in your refrigerator if you want to maintain maximum potency.  But as long as you store it at room temps and use it within a month, it is fine outside of the refrigerator. 

Other kinds of probiotics are in spore form, such as lactobacillus sporogenous.  This specific strain of bacteria does not require refrigeration. 

Also, many probiotics are produced from dairy and now, with so many people having allergies or sensitivties to dairy, this can be a potential problem. 

My favorite brand of probiotic is Klaire Labs.  It is a professional line of supplements made for healthcare practitioners.  So, that just means it's a cut above what you will find at a typical health food store.  Their Ther-Biotic Complete is amazing!  It works very well for my clients. 

For small children or babies, their Ther-Biotic Infant Formula is wonderful and contains the best strains of bacteria for children.  Their probiotics are dairy-free and made for people with sensitivties, so they are free of fillers and additives. 

I hope this helps!

Becky Mauldin, N.D.

http://www.getpurevitality.com/

#7 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 PM

From what I've heard, kefir is one of the strongest probiotics around. It's very easy to make, is cheap and you can't overdose on it. I noticed a huge difference once I started drinking it, and when I don't have any for a few days, my stomach feels less happy.

#8 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney1983 View Post

Probiotics: It's All in the Supplement Quality of Manufacture and Ingredients

If you can buy it in a grocery store, chain pharmacy, any other store specialty nutrition shops (online and in-person) notwithstanding, it is in all likelihood a total and complete waste of money, and this is true of most supplements commonly sold to consumers who have no clue that the compounds are very poorly absorbed when they're absorbed at all, much of it is excreted in urine without ever being absorbed and in the case of probiotics, the numbers they list on most bottles say "at the time of manufacture". Meaning, they make no guarantees that there are still that many live organisms in each pill, capsule or whatever, nor any absolute claim that any survived the manufacturing process. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's high-quality.

The more important detail is to purchase brands that have been tested and proved across their entire line of supplements. Douglas Labs, BioTech, Clinical Essentials, Egan Wellness are all brands with reputations for outstanding quality and consistency unlike that found in supplements sold in the places most people shop.

If you can get a high-grade yogurt and mix it with milk, it's a good way to get a baby to ingest the bacteria.

Here is a very nice article on the health benefits of probiotics: http://www.pamelaegan.com/articles/probiotics_0001/.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page