Feeding LARGE Groups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need ideas to feed a very large group of people - kids and adults.  This is a fundraiser in our homeschool co-op and about 40 people usually want to purchase the meal.  It is a lunch, needs to be vegetarian and needs to be inexpensive (the point is to *raise* money after all ;) )  I did our first one today, it was an enchilada lunch.  I charged $5 a plate, the meal was bean/potato enchiladas with homemade sauce in corn tortillas.  Served with fresh fruit (grapes & orange slices), and a choice of spanish rice or tortilla chips.  It was super yummy and we made nearly $200! woo-hoo!

I don't want to do another mexican-themed one, and am looking for ideas!  Here's some I have so far - please add your own ideas or comment on what I have:

- Some kind of bean soup - chili? minestrone? with fresh bread & sala

- Spaghetti, some kind of veggie or salad and garlic bread or fruit maybe?

- Baked potato bar (a serve yourself bar with baked potatoes and toppings)

I need to do two more of these big lunches... help!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM

lasagna or baked ziti (if spaghetti feels too mundane)
curried veggies with tofu or chickpeas over rice
homemade bean burgers (or veggie burgers), with a variety of burger fixings
thai peanut noodles and stir-fried veggies

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Lentil curry over multi-grain rice is a really great way of feeding large groups of people but not sure how popular this will be with your particular crowed.  

#4 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas, thank you!  I will have to say that brown lentils are one of the few foods I really don't care for, so I wouldn't make those in any kind of large quantity :)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

Great ideas, thank you!  I will have to say that brown lentils are one of the few foods I really don't care for, so I wouldn't make those in any kind of large quantity :)

Lol. One of my top go to things I make :) but I know not everyone likes them! Also, red lentils are pretty good compromise.  Potato samosas are delicious (and cheap) but maybe too much work? Can you get premade dough for the pockets, if so they are yummy and easy.  You just need to spice the potatoes according to your palate.  

#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

i can understand. 

but do you know there are many kinds of lentils. 

have you ever tried french lentils - they are like the brown ones - but smaller and green. 

or try the red lentils - which are skinless and make gread burger patties. 

OP how about a big hearty bean soup with cornbread. it goes REALLY well together. esp. pinto beans or black beans soup.

can you do eggs?

how about frittata or spanish tortilla. both go well with a salad and garlic bread or any ethnic bread like armenian or russian or afghanistani bread (are you making the bread or buying them. ethnic bread is really CHEAP and delicious - i use 3 'loaves' for 30 people and they are 2 bucks a piece). 

winter is coming up. roasted veggies.

or stir fry veggies over rice noodles or bean noodles. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 PM

A pasta dish seems like a good idea, either a cold pasta salad or a warm preparation with veggies. You could always do the sauce separate so people can choose how much or how little sauce. Garlic bread or garlic knots and a salad with vinaigrette would be good sides. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#8 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I love the idea of a hearty bean-based soup with bread.  You could probably do something like that for VERY cheap. 

Back when I used to cook for a crowd on a budget, a favorite dish was chick peas and tomatoes over rice.  The chick pea/tomato thing was vaguely indian spiced.  I think the recipe came from "Moosewood Cooks for a Crowd" - which is a great book to check out, BTW. 

What about homemade pizzas? 

#9 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Back when I used to cook for a crowd on a budget, a favorite dish was chick peas and tomatoes over rice.  

"Moosewood Cooks for a Crowd" - which is a great book to check out, BTW.  

GREAT BOOK i agree.

i have found in my experience chickpea is one bean that is not commonly liked by many people. i have had better luck with black bean and pinto and even cannellini beans - not chick peas. in fact after watching people not eat the amount they usually would i stopped really making them for random big groups.

me on the other hand LOVE chick pea and can eat it in any way possible. even just boiled with some salt. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page