Time to get creative -- apples, apples, apples! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our apple tree had a bumper crop of juicy, delicious apples this year.  But, we can only eat so many fresh, in applesauce and apple pie, not that I've ever baked an apple pie, but still...

Any creative ideas for using apples?  (I would love an apple bread recipe.) 

I would love to hear any and all ideas/recipes!!

TIA!!  Peace ~~

#2 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#3 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 PM

#4 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

apple snack yummy.gif

fresh sliced apples

- dipped in peanut butter (or any kind of nut butter or soy butter) drizzled with dessicated coconut.

- covered in cinnamon

havent checked all the links posted above, but i cant see why you cant use applesauce to make bread. 

with applesauce really you can go to town. they add a great touch to any kind of soup or stew you make. 

its been a long time since i made apple soup. 

my aunt used to make us some simple apple 'jam'.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Soup - Add an apple or two when you make squash or parsnip soup. Just peel, core and dice and throw it in when you add the veggies. It will add a touch of sweetness and extra flavour. 

Chicken with apples - I don't use a recipe for this anymore, but generally I'll heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a saute pan and brown 4 chicken breasts or 6 thighs. Remove chicken. Saute a sliced onion and 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves. When onion has softened add 1 or 2 sliced apples and some chopped fresh herbs (thyme, sage, basil, oregano - whatever) and some grated lemon zest (or a little dry mustard powder) and saute for about 1 minute. If you like, then add a splash of white wine or white vermouth (or lemon juice or white wine vinegar or verjuice). Add about 1/3 cup of chicken stock (or more if you like a saucier dish). Deglaze pan, scraping up brown bits. Return chicken to pan and simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes per side (less if you've flattened the chicken before you start cooking) or until cooked through. Season with salt, pepper. Serve sprinkled with more fresh herbs. 

#6 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM

What kind of apples? It can make a difference.

#7 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Mmmm...apple crisp is my recommendation.

1.  It uses a good amount of apples.

2.  You don't have to make a crust.

3.  It isn't so sweet so I don't feel guilty serving it for breakfast with a dollop of greek yogurt.  2whistle.gif

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#8 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Next year, before the apples ripen, you could try to make your own verjuice. It's an acidic condiment similar to vinegar and used as a vinegar or lemon juice substitute. It dates back to medieval times. Traditionally, it's made from unripened grapes or crab apples but if your tree produces a tart apple, rather than a really sweet variety, and it produces more apples than you can use, it would be worth trying.  

If you Google, you'll find a few recipes to make verjuice but most of them use unripened grapes. Basically, you grind the fruit (or use a food processor), making sure you don't include any stems or seeds. Place in a non-reactive container. Cover with water. Cover the container with cheesecloth. Let it sit for a few days - I've read anywhere from 2 to 4. Then strain, squeezing all the juice from the pulp. Repeat straining 2 or 3 times. Store in a glass jar or bottle in the refrigerator or freeze in ice cube trays. 

#9 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Apple butter?  It's pretty easy to make in the crockpot.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#10 of 17 Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas!

mtiger -- I don't know what kind of apples they are.  They're smaller than ones you find in a store, mostly green with a reddish blush to them. 

I think I may try an apple crisp....

Never made apple butter, though I am a jam/jelly maker...maybe that's a next too!

Thanks, again.  Peace ~~

#11 of 17 Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 PM

apple butter!! Apple cider!!

#12 of 17 Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

What's the difference between apple cider and apple juice? 

We juiced about a dozen of our apples this morning and it was out of this world!   Does apple juice freeze well?

Peace ~~

#13 of 17 Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM

I'm not sure of the traditional method of making apple juice. To make apple cider you need a grinder & press - you grind up whole apples and the press all the juice out of them. Apple cider freezes beautifully, though I usually can it, mostly to save space in my freezers :)

#14 of 17 Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/20-unexpected-ways-to-use-apples.html

this reminded me of this thread today. i must say i love the shrunken heads.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 17 Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man, some awesome ideas -- I love the dried apple rings on the Christmas tree especially, and my boys would love to make those shrunken heads! 

Does anyone know -- would birds eat dried apple rings?  I have no idea.  I could see putting them out on an outdoor tree -- maybe if you covered them in peanut butter and bird seed? 

Peace ~~

#16 of 17 Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonyere View Post

I'm not sure of the traditional method of making apple juice. To make apple cider you need a grinder & press - you grind up whole apples and the press all the juice out of them. Apple cider freezes beautifully, though I usually can it, mostly to save space in my freezers :)

19 y.o. DS, who loves apple cider, has made it without a press. He grates the apples and mashes them, then places the whole mess into a clean tea towel and wraps it around and around to squeeze out the cider. It's very small scale production - he only makes about a glass or two at a time. I've thought about getting him a cider press, but I have no idea where we would keep it. 

#17 of 17 Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM

We went apple picking this week and have been making apple treats all week.  We had apple cinnamon bundt cake (so good!), I made apple pie filling for the freezer and we'll can some apple butter too.  Yea, apples!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page