Easy recipes to use up eggs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!  I am not a skilled cook, but I guess I am great at raising poultry because I have eggs coming out my ears!  Any great, easy ideas to consume and preserve the bounty?  Some are chicken, some are duck....I'd be so grateful for your quick recipes....

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You can use a lot of eggs making quiches, mini quiches or zucchini slice all of which freeze well.

I like the recipes on www.exclusivelyfood.com but I usually just put in whatever veggies and cheese I happen to have which need using up.

Custard is nice too but only uses yolks and I've never tried freezing it. You can freeze egg whites though if you'll have a use for them in smaller quantities.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Envy, just a tiny bit envious here. 

This is my favourite lentil soup recipe. It uses 4 eggs and looks hideous, but is delicious, nutritious and filling, even with the store-bought eggs that I have to make do with when I can't get them at the farmer's market (which will be every week from now until next spring greensad.gif). Perfect for the kind of stormy fall weather we are having here, so I'm grateful you inspired me to pull it out. 

Lentil, garlic and lemon soup (from Matthew Evans) 

2-3 Tbsp olive oil

1 medium leek, diced

1 carrot, finely diced

1 stalk celery, finely diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups du Puy (French) lentils

5 cups chicken stock or water

salt and pepper

4 eggs

zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

2-3 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped

Heat oil and gently saute leek, carrot and celery until softened but not browned. Add garlic and saute another 1 minute. Toss in lentils and stock and simmer for about an hour until the lentils are softened. If the soup thickens too much, add a little water. 

Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. In a separate bowl, whisk eggswith the lemon zest and juice and a pinch of salt until thick and foamy. Add a spoon of hot soup to the eggs and whisk constantly to temper the eggs, then whisk the eggs into the soup. Add dill. Return to low-medium heat and allow soup to thicken, stirring constantly. Do not let it boil. 

Serve with crusty bread. I try to pretty it up a little with a sprinkling of fresh dilll or other herbs. 

#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you!  This is just what I was hoping for, something beyond the whole omelettes/custards/quiches idea.  I never would have thought of lentil soup==perfect for fall! I'm going to make this right away...!

#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post

Wow, thank you!  This is just what I was hoping for, something beyond the whole omelettes/custards/quiches idea.  I never would have thought of lentil soup==perfect for fall! I'm going to make this right away...!

Great! I love custards and quiches but I imagine a change would be nice if you have a glut of eggs.

I forgot to mention that I sometimes top the lentil soup with plain yoghurt when I serve it. If you want to add some more veggies, it's nice with roasted cubed sweet potato added on top just before serving too.

#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can put an extra egg in baked goods, too. I often put an extra egg in brownies, waffles and such.
#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM

I'll make an eggier homemade fried rice (adding 2-3 eggs instead of just one) when I need to use up eggs.

Cook scallions/chopped veggies a few minutes in oil, add cold cooked rice, mix until glossy, add generous amount soy sauce, cook another minute or 2, move everything out of the middle, add your eggs, salt & pepper, scramble until almost done, then mix into rest of  your rice.

I'll also make crepes (the kids love this - you can freeze them too, if wrapped well and you put wax paper between them.  I'll just wrap them on a plate in the fridge though, and between snacks/dessert-type treats we use them up in a few days).

This is close to the recipe I usually use for a (sweet) crepe.  If you want a savory crepe, leave out the vanilla and decrease the sugar - you can make plain savory crepes and serve with veggie-egg scramble inside (like burritos) for dinner or breakfast, also.  

#8 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

oooh, great tips and recipes, thank you so much!

#9 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

how about different kinds of omlettes -the spanish tortilla http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to/spanish-tortilla.aspx you can always add veggies to it. we LOVE it esp. in a cast iron pan.

egg curry http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/08/north-indian-egg-curry-recipe-anda-masala.html

for some reason i just dont like duck eggs. so i have been known to make omlette curry with those http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/omlettecurry.htm

pickled eggs with beet - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2336,154180-232207,00.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2041251_pickle-eggs.html

ETA i hear you olly. ditto here. wonder if wildflower lives in the southern hemisphere where it is approaching summer.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page