Now that stbx moved out, remind me how to cook! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds funny, but I had such a hard time coming up with things that all four of us would eat ~ and stbx was the pickiest!

Here's what the kids and I like, can you help me come up with some meals out of it? These foods are the only ones we all 3 like. I feel like we need more variety!

~ Cheese (lots and lots!)

~ Meat (mostly ground italian saucage)

~ Quinoa (sometimes the kids will eat this, not always)

~ Salad

~ the kids don't really like veggies, but they'll eat salad... any other ideas?

~ apples/bannanas

~ tomato soup

~ pasta

~ sandwiches (gf bread)

~ potatoes, but not fried, only baked or mashed

That doesn't seem like much that we agree on... we eat kind of traditional/paleo but not really. Lots of veggies, potatoes, etc.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 3 Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM

meatball sandwiches, salad

twice baked potatoes or loaded potatoes

lasagna, manicotti or stuffed shells with salad

Greek potatoes, baked feta cheese, olives and salad

minestrone which has lots of veggies and some pasta

Try searching http://www.supercook.com/ with the foods your family can agree on.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 3 Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Shepherd's Pie - some kind of meat (or fake meat - as we use boca burgers for ours) with carrots/onions, some other veggie (often corn), topped with mashed potatoes.

Grilled cheese & tomato soup

Corn chowder (I make one that's pretty potato-ish)

Chili with baked potatoes, or broccoli & cheese with baked potato

Beer cheese soup with bread and/or salad

Gnocci is a great pasta variant - my kids love it.  I saute some random veggies to serve with it (think half an onion, a tomato, a zucchini).  I also like to do cheese tortellini with sauce on the side (for dipping into with a toothpick).

I often just do celery/carrot sticks with ranch dressing for the kids on the side of anything, if they've been being picky about veggies lately - low stress & prep, minimizing complaining for myself.  Although one of them will eat loads of broccoli at anytime, if offered.  Simple frozen corn or peas (for one of them) are also another good bet - I make one serving of them at a time, and eat what I like for myself instead at a meal.  

Not sure if you had left out eggs because you don't eat/like them or just didn't think about them  --  but we do a lot of egg/potato meals here too because they're relatively kid-friendly (for my kiddos) and easy to customize just a bit for people who like other or different things too.  Egg & cheese & spinach sandwiches.  Cheesy omelets with hash browns & broccoli.  I'll also make crepes and eggs with veggies.  Scrambled eggs with mashed-potato 'cakes' (mashed up with some veggies/cheese/spices and baked or fried).  You could obviously sub an egg for sausage/bacon/pork chop/etc. too, for a lot of meals like this if the case was you don't eat them.  

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page