Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

anyone cooking without using any fat?

any techniques or recipes to compare.

any advice/tricks most welcome.

i need to challenge myself. i was getting into a rut with cooking. someone recommended going any kind of fat free (i am mostly a veggie, sometimes lacto and rarely meatitarian) so i am gonna try it. i dont mean using fat free stuff. but just going without oil or butter for a couple of weeks to see how addicted to food i am. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 31 Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm really curious about why one would want to go without fat. Fat is an important part of a healthy diet. There are fat-soluble vitamins that your body simply cannot absorb if you don't have fat in your diet. I can't imagine that going without fat (unless you're talking about Frankenfoods like margarine) could be good for you.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

trying to get away from all processed foods. 

perhaps this article might help http://www.livestrong.com/article/519664-do-vegetables-contain-fat/

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

trying to get away from all processed foods. 

perhaps this article might help http://www.livestrong.com/article/519664-do-vegetables-contain-fat/

Are you saying you intend to avoid those vegetables that have fat?  Or do you just want to cook without adding any oil or butter to your food?

I think it is hard to eat a no fat diet. You can certainly limit the amount of fat you add when you cook though.

What types of things will you be cooking?

Some cooking methods don't need fat added. Grilling, poaching, broiling, steaming, braising, and microwaving for example.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lowfatbasics/a/cookmethods.htm

http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_go_vegetarian/lowfat_cooking.html

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lowfatbasics/qt/20waystolowfat.htm

http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tipslibrary/baking-tips/healthy-baking-tips-low-fat-substitutions

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Fat is necessary. Especially omega-3. Unless you have a health reason, or feel you are eating too much fried foods, I'd not worry about how much fat is in my diet, but make sure the fats are healthy fats.
#6 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

Or do you just want to cook without adding any oil or butter to your food?

This

I think it is hard to eat a no fat diet. You can certainly limit the amount of fat you add when you cook though.

yes you are right. it will be hard. esp. since i LOVE butter and coconut oil.

What types of things will you be cooking?

vegetarian/vegan. i mostly roast or do stove top cooking. i am doing it for two reasons. neither of them is more important than the other. one is more challenge with cooking. can it be done AND make food taste good without going on a pure raw diet. secondly health reasons. for both dd and me. me to see if it affects my prediabetes and prehypertension (genetic) and dd's tummy aches. we've tried a lot of things for her. she does get anxiety tummy aches but they are different. we'll see if this has any effect. 

i was looking up the nutrition in oils and realised hey there is no nutritional value in oil. AND there IS fat in all the veggies we eat. and nuts and high fat plant food like avocado. so. do i really need to have fat to cook with. can i caramalize onions in their own juices.

i have cooked beans without any fat. chillies with no fat. made that lentils recipe i got here with tamari and maple syrup with no fat. i've steamed veggies and just added lemon and salt and pepper and they tasted good (however these were freshly picked local organic veggies so didnt need much flavoring). 

#7 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Fat is necessary. Especially omega-3. Unless you have a health reason, or feel you are eating too much fried foods, I'd not worry about how much fat is in my diet, but make sure the fats are healthy fats.

i am not sure i buy into that either. i get plenty of omega 3s through flaxseed meal and walnuts. 

i am extremely fortunate to have access to fresh veggies. so we've been cutting out a lot of processed stuff out of our diet. including juices. and then i realised hey oil is the same thing - sorta kinda like juice. except does it really have any nutritional value by itself?!!!!

#8 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM

There is a need for fat. I'm not sure where you saw it has no nutritive value. There are vitamins that are carried in fat. Fat is actually a component of bone. Without it, bones are brittle. Your brain has a lot of fat in it. Your brain cells and nerve cells are coated and that coating contains fat. To maintain good health, you need a balance of everything, including fat.

Instead of butter, a saturated fat, try olive oil, a mono-unsaturated fat. That is a healthy substitution. Coconut oil is also a saturated fat, although plant based. Some saturated fat is needed, so don't rule it out altogether.

I would recommend avoiding deep frying, if you do that. Stir fries are fine. You can do a water saute on occasion. But I would be careful about doing an extreme removal of fat. I did that about ten years ago, and drastically cut back on salt, too. I have health problems now that were caused by those choices. Proceed carefully.
#9 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

oil, butter has no nutritive quality by itself. sure your body needs fat to do its job and carry the vitamins in your body. but you get that naturally in food IF you eat a well balanced diet. 

when you cut back fat did you focus on a good diet? not trying to be sarcastic here. seriously looking at this. i am not talking about a low fat diet where you substitute low fat items. <shudder>

plus the other factor. i am descended from a family of vegetarians - mostly vegans - for generations so i might be safe here (you know its like japanese women can eat sushi throught out their pregnancy and nothing affects them as they have a natural immunity due to generations of eating raw fish).

however i am curious to know what your health issues are due to the lack - if you dont mind me asking and posting on a public board. did you cut out fats completely, or did you substitute fats? by fats i mean oil and butter. 

however i will proceed carefully. i dont expect dd to join me - she eats out enough to not be on my diet as we share custody. but i will encourage her to join me to see if it affects her stomach issues. if she doesnt want to - that's ok with me. 

did you feel anything different when you were on the no fat diet. were there any warning signs?

btw i have never been able to tolerate deep fried food. it makes me sick and nauseous. not even french fries or a big bag of chips. though i love them.

#10 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 PM

I'd rather not go into too many details. What I did was foolish. No fake fat substitutions. Just a continual decrease
That's all I'm comfortable saying.
#11 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

If you're interested in cooking with less fat, a non-stick skillet will help. I generally don't use non-stick skillets because Teflon scares the crap out of me, but I do have one that I use for pancakes and omelettes. A lot of recipes call for searing meat in a little oil or butter, but if you use a non-stick skillet you don't need to use any fat. And in baking, like cakes and muffins, you can generally reduce the fat by a third and you'll still get a decent result. Granted, the end product will be a bit drier and a little less flavorful, but it'll still be fairly decent. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#12 of 31 Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/dietary_vitfat.shtml

http://www.livestrong.com/article/451292-why-do-we-need-fats-in-our-diets/

"Fat provides energy, cushions your organs and allows the body to absorb necessary nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K."

#13 of 31 Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/dietary_vitfat.shtml

http://www.livestrong.com/article/451292-why-do-we-need-fats-in-our-diets/

"Fat provides energy, cushions your organs and allows the body to absorb necessary nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K."

ok so let me see if i can explain myself.

so lets say a person needs 2000 calories a day. the general rule of thumb is 20 - 30% of that should be about 600 calories from fat.

a medium avocado has 260 calories just from fat.

1/4 cup of almonds has 120 calories from fat

1/4 cup of cashews has 110 calories from fatand

1/4 cup fresh green olives has 50 calories from fat

so just by eating those things in one day i would go over the amount of fat a 2000 calorie person should eat. so any fat in any form that the person added to their food would be extra unneccesary fat. i am not even counting the fat from other fruit and vegetables and beans (talking about vegan diet here). 

#14 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM

I don't think that I would count any of the fat in vegetables as fat. It's digested differently and I feel like I can confidently say that no one got fat from too many vegetables:

http://www.askdrsears.com/?q=topics/family-nutrition/vegetables/7-reasons-why-veggies-are-so-good-you

#15 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I don't think that I would count any of the fat in vegetables as fat. It's digested differently and I feel like I can confidently say that no one got fat from too many vegetables:

http://www.askdrsears.com/?q=topics/family-nutrition/vegetables/7-reasons-why-veggies-are-so-good-you

yup yup yup. but then you ARE getting the fat so you dont need any other fat. i guess what dr sears is talking about is just vegetables and fruit which do add up if you eat the right amount. some beans have high fat like garbanzo beans. and you want teh good kinds. so dont eat too much brazil nuts as they have saturated fats too. walnuts and pecans have a LOT of fat too. 

animal and dairy have the bad fats as well as butter substitutes that raise our bad cholestrol too. 

i am more concerned about diabetes, heart and cancer rather than losing weight. 

#16 of 31 Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Cancer has been a serious issue among my relatives. Sugar has been a common factor among those who had it, more than fat. I keep sugar consumption low, as an adult. As a child, I didn't know better. And I don't use artificial sweeteners, either. Primarily fruit and fruit juice. I would think the same approach would help with diabetes, too. Sugar avoidance, not fat, to reduce your risk. Maybe you should talk this over with a nutritionist.
#17 of 31 Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

with cancer (and i have many friends at that place too) its a combination of both - sugar and fat.

the thing why i bring up fat is because sugar is not a big factor for me. i am not really into sugary stuff (including fruit juice which i feel is another version of soda too - just not quite as bad, but bad enough) so its never been a big part of my diet.

but oh boy oil and fats and flour have been.

i have spoken to both nutritionist and dietician (not for myself but for others) and they say its good, BUT really hard to do. i mean they are shocked that less than 10% of my diet is any kind of processed food.

i think science is now on the crossroads of declaring fats bad too. not just too much fat, but fats in general. and not just related to weight but other issues too - its impact on diabetes for instance https://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2009a/090225ChengFatcancer.html

#18 of 31 Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Fats have been considered bad by my mother from my teen years. And her health has deteriorated since going low to no fat. If you want to experiment on yourself, fine. But please be careful. Make sure children still get enough fat. And I urge caution to anyone who reads this thread.

Edited to add : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CD0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mombu.com%2Fmedicine%2Fcancer%2Ft-study-finds-low-fat-diet-wont-stop-cancer-or-heart-disease-diabetes-carbohydrates-calories-low-fat-diet-9901653.html&ei=YRekUJrUMYSUjALmhoD4BQ&usg=AFQjCNF2asgUL8k8CCJsR8wlqsOY4nN02g
#19 of 31 Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Saying that fat has no nutrition is falseA low fat diet isn't healthy and can be dangerous for children. http://www.naturalnews.com/001545_dietary_fat_good_fats.html

#20 of 31 Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

let me clarify. outside fat like butter, oils - have no nutritional value. remember apart from olive oil - all other vegetable oils are fairly modern inventions. 

man did not cook with fat. yes they did eat fat, and yes there were vegetarians who did not use any animal fats or oils.

there is enough fat 'in food' even for a vegan/vegetarian to not rely in outside sources for fat, PROVIDED they eat a good diet where they get their omega 3s and omega 6s from beans, veggies and nuts and seeds. 

and yes this is not me talking. this is my nutritionist talking. you get your omega3s from where the cows get it. they get it from grass, we get it from dark green leafy vegetables. how many of us eat kale, collards, mustard greens that often? 

shocking isnt it?!!!! if you look up links and look at what nutritional value butter, any other oils have you will come across zilch. except for the different types of fat of course. 

but of course king corn, the dairy industry dont want you to know that. the baking industry is  not going to let go of the profits coming in either. 

#22 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

let me clarify. outside fat like butter, oils - have no nutritional value. remember apart from olive oil - all other vegetable oils are fairly modern inventions. 

man did not cook with fat. 

This is not true. Sunflower oil is the only available oil in some traditional cultures. Not everyone lives in Greece or Italy, and have olive trees in their backyard.

And people used to cook with LOTS of animal fat, especially in cold climates where they have long winters and where there are no sunflowers or olive trees.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#23 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

pek you are missing my point. you dont need to eat meat, oils, butter, fish, dairy to have fat in your body, you can get it from foods. of course fats are important for your body. if you want to avoid processed fats, eat the right amount of foods to get the fats from the food. which means eating a very good diet. you dont need oils to get your omega3s. you could eat more greens and get your omega3s. add flaxseed meal and get your omega 3s. but along with that you also need your omega 6s too. we just consume too much omega 6s the reason why omega 3s are given so much importance. we WOULDNT be consuming so much omega 6s if we ourselves didnt eat so much grain or feed our animal grains. a great source of omega 3s used to be beef but since the majority of them are grain fed, you cant get omega 3s from them unless you buy grass fed meat. 

wow nightwish thank you so much for that information. i stand corrected. i had no idea about the sunflower. gosh i didnt even know it was native to the southwest US. i am curious to see how extensive SO was used to cook everyday meals by NA, or was it just used for particular feasts because of the process they used to get oil - boil it. i have always been curious why van gogh was so fascinated by sunflowers. always wondered if it was because of his depression or other reasons. Even during his times sunflowers were pretty new to europe. i guess we have to thank Russians esp. Peter the Great for our delicious snack and sunflower oil as we know today. 

#24 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:

vegetarian/vegan. i mostly roast or do stove top cooking. i am doing it for two reasons. neither of them is more important than the other. one is more challenge with cooking. can it be done AND make food taste good without going on a pure raw diet. secondly health reasons. for both dd and me. me to see if it affects my prediabetes and prehypertension (genetic) and dd's tummy aches. we've tried a lot of things for her. she does get anxiety tummy aches but they are different. we'll see if this has any effect. 

i was looking up the nutrition in oils and realised hey there is no nutritional value in oil. AND there IS fat in all the veggies we eat. and nuts and high fat plant food like avocado. so. do i really need to have fat to cook with. can i caramalize onions in their own juices.

i have cooked beans without any fat. chillies with no fat. made that lentils recipe i got here with tamari and maple syrup with no fat. i've steamed veggies and just added lemon and salt and pepper and they tasted good (however these were freshly picked local organic veggies so didnt need much flavoring). 

I am a diabetic, and the diet you're describing is not one I would follow and expect good blood glucose levels. High fat, high protein + low carb seems to have the best, consistent results. If you're serious about diabetes I recommend reading Dr.Bernstein's books (Diabetes Solution in particular).

I don't know where you got your info that oils have no nutritional value.... That's false. There are certainly bad oils, but there are good oils like olive & coconut... They have healthy components like oleic acids, omega fatty acids, antioxidants....

#25 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post

This is not true. Sunflower oil is the only available oil in some traditional cultures. Not everyone lives in Greece or Italy, and have olive trees in their backyard.
And people used to cook with LOTS of animal fat, especially in cold climates where they have long winters and where there are no sunflowers or olive trees.

Quote:

pek you are missing my point. you dont need to eat meat, oils, butter, fish, dairy to have fat in your body, you can get it from foods. of course fats are important for your body. if you want to avoid processed fats, eat the right amount of foods to get the fats from the food. which means eating a very good diet. you dont need oils to get your omega3s. you could eat more greens and get your omega3s. add flaxseed meal and get your omega 3s. but along with that you also need your omega 6s too. we just consume too much omega 6s the reason why omega 3s are given so much importance. we WOULDNT be consuming so much omega 6s if we ourselves didnt eat so much grain or feed our animal grains. a great source of omega 3s used to be beef but since the majority of them are grain fed, you cant get omega 3s from them unless you buy grass fed meat. 

wow nightwish thank you so much for that information. i stand corrected. i had no idea about the sunflower. gosh i didnt even know it was native to the southwest US. i am curious to see how extensive SO was used to cook everyday meals by NA, or was it just used for particular feasts because of the process they used to get oil - boil it. i have always been curious why van gogh was so fascinated by sunflowers. always wondered if it was because of his depression or other reasons. Even during his times sunflowers were pretty new to europe. i guess we have to thank Russians esp. Peter the Great for our delicious snack and sunflower oil as we know today. 
[/quote

Am I missing the parts about Native Americans, Van Gogh, and the Russians in Nightwish's post?
#26 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Am I missing the parts about Native Americans, Van Gogh, and the Russians in Nightwish's post?

ooh pek dont get me going. i am a research junkie. when nightwitch mentioned sunflower oils in traditional cultures, i got to researching. found it was NA in the SW. and it was due to peter the great and his love for sunflowers that got them popular as food in the west. sunflowers were not really being consumed in europe as much as it was in russia who first started commercially producing the oil. in the 1700s europe did discover a way of getting out oil from the sunflower but it never went into major production until russia did it in the 1800s. wow i had no idea that sunflower seeds is huge in russia. 

radical high fat and high protein diet has never bode well for me. ever since i was a child and even when i was pregnant. while pregnant, for a few months i ate no protein since my body rejected it completely and made me throw up. actually let me say that i could not eat any animals or animal products or nuts. my ob wasnt worried, though he did look for alternate ways of making me eat protein which never worked. later i discovered that was actually good because i had fibroids and they grow with protein and they never bothered me during my pregnancy. 

oh and i forgot. animal fats have been used in cooking a LOT pretty recently. in the last maybe 500 to 700 years. if you look at european cooking before that they did a lot of poached stuff. 

#27 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM

When I refer to fats, I am mostly referring to vegetable oils.
#28 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM

I am sorry about any misunderstanding. As I said in an early post, I would recommend switching from animal fat to vegetable fat (oils). I didn't think about the possibility of a misunderstanding until I was getting ready to go out, earlier today.
#29 of 31 Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

hey pek. no problems. no misunderstanding here. just difference of opinion. :)

there is a whole new world out there where nutrition is concerned. and its FASCINATING!!!

#30 of 31 Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM

While I think that cutting out fat altogether is likely a bad idea, a couple of points that I do think have been overlooked in this discussion:

1. With adequate caloric intake, the body can produce fat, so yes, there are nutrients that require fat for absorption, but that doesn't automatically prove the need to eat it from external sources.

2. Omega 3's and Omega 6/9's are two nutrients that require balance. People eating larger amount of 6's and 9's show signs of omega 3 deficiency earlier. We know roughly the ratio these should be in, but it's not so much a case of "how can we stuff as much omega 3's in as possible?" as "what's the ideal amount and sources of fats, assuming we have them in the right ratio?"

I don't have answers to either of these, however generally in any matters of nutrition, as a *very general* rule of thumb, I usually lean towards less of anything that our taste buds are drawn to, rather than increasing it, as these tend to be the things that fuel large industries, with large research and marketing budgets that are able to produce distorted research and influence popular culture as a whole (given that most people don't have a research background).

For that reason, while I don't think I'd cut fats out all together (there must be a reason we're able to digest them, after all), I'd still be very careful of claims that we need to increaseone side of the ratio, rather than decreasing the other, without reading full and detailed research from unbiased parties (no, WAPF, Veg*n groups, Atkins proponents don't count here, beyond any *original source* research they quote).

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page