Soaking rice ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A while ago , someone wrote in a post , that she is soaking her rice for a while before cooking it , but now I can´t find it anymore !

It would be great , if you could help me by reposting how you do it , which rice , how long , etc !  

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#2 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 AM

I soak & rinse rice before cooking. I try to let it soak for at least 10 or 15 minutes before rinsing and then cooking, but sometimes, don't really have the time. Then I just rinse it several times.

We buy "Golden Elephant" white rice (it's a common brand of white rice from Thailand), usually in a 8 kg bag and then mix it up w/ a 2 kg  bag of Thai red rice  in our rice bucket (sometimes some brown rice too) and then just scoop from the rice bucket when getting ready to cook..

#3 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM

What does soaking the rice accomplish?  If you're adding the rice to a sofrito or some kinda tasty paste in the pan before adding the liquid, is the rice dry before you do that?  Are y'all rice-soakers also soaking wild rice, or just actual rices?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my need to know!  smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well , I usually rinse it well with hot water before cooking , but the girl posting it , said , she soaks hers for up to several days in the fridge and it´s supposed to make it more palatable/easier to digest , plus it is supposed to help pull the arsenic out , that can be in rice , so I was just wondering , since I don´t remember  exactly HOW she did it 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#5 of 16 Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks!  I googled around and there were a number of resources advising me to soak my rice in some water and vinegar before cooking it in order to increase nutrient availability and improve the taste and texture.

I might try it, if I can remember to report back, I will.

#6 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

What does soaking the rice accomplish?  If you're adding the rice to a sofrito or some kinda tasty paste in the pan before adding the liquid, is the rice dry before you do that?  Are y'all rice-soakers also soaking wild rice, or just actual rices?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my need to know!  smile.gif

I rinse rice before cooking in the rice cooker. I don't do it to the risotto rice.

Why soak rice?

1) It satisfies flat-mates, husbands, and other possibly interested parties because it is the *correct* way to deal w/ rice before cooking it.

2) Soaking and rinsing removes dust and other stuff that may have gotten into the rice between the farm and  the kitchen, the and gives you a chance to find and get rid of possible detritus.

3) I've read somewhere it helps make it less sticky? But I think people tend to rinse glutinous rice too, before cooking.

#7 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You'll want to hop on over to Tradition Foods.  You'll learn all there is to know about soaking rice, grains, and beans!

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dad is A big grain and bean soaker. He has a whole laundry list of reasons it's healthier. I never get my act together to do it,but according to him a short soak is better than noting and a longer soak, 24 hours or more, is even better. You can't really do it wrong, is the good news.
#9 of 16 Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

My dad is A big grain and bean soaker. He has a whole laundry list of reasons it's healthier. I never get my act together to do it,but according to him a short soak is better than noting and a longer soak, 24 hours or more, is even better. You can't really do it wrong, is the good news.

So, basically he rinses and then soaks ? Does he rinse after soaking or does he use the soaking water to cook the stuff in ? I am asking for the rice , dumping the bean water is a no-brainer !

#10 of 16 Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Definitely dump the soak water. I actually don't know if its rinse/soak or soak/rinse. I suspect it's rinse/soak/rinse!
#11 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Seconding, the foods I do soak, I dump that soak water.  Sometimes twice, depending.

#12 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM

I started soaking our rice about a year ago.  First I rinse it and then let it soak for a few hours.  

I was in a rush the other day and just made the rice without soaking it.  It tore my stomach up!  But I don't remember that happening in our presoaking days???

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#13 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einen View Post

I was in a rush the other day and just made the rice without soaking it.  It tore my stomach up!  But I don't remember that happening in our presoaking days???

I kind of felt the same way after following some of the posters suggestions , but the other day was in a hurry and just rinsed it off with hot water before boiling it 

Plus , one of my kids is allergic to potatoes and so I always have to work that into our meal planning , and rice is a big staple , but after reading about it containing arsenic , I feel soaking it to get as much as possible out , is more important than ever 

#14 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM

It's not rice, but we ate at a friend's house recently, and her beans weren't soaked (just cooked from dry), and I suddenly understood why people "have trouble" with beans.  So now I'm motivated to start soaking all my grains as well as my legumes.

rachelsmama likes this.

#15 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Well, my report from the field.

I soaked my white rice over the weekend;  I rinsed it as usual, and then soaked it in room temperature water for about 20 minutes, and then cooked it as usual. 

Um... no.  Nope.

Bright side:  now I know how to prepare rice for rice balls. 

#16 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM

I did some soaked brown rice tonight. I soaked it for about 24 hours. I cooked it by adding less water than usual, then just adding a little bit of liquid at a time until it was done. Turned out well!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page