Favorite sugar cookie recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Sugar cookies seem to be the one thing I just can't get to come out right. they are either too crunchy, too doughy, or something. I love decorating cookies this time of year though!! 

Is there a good can't fail recipe? I mean other than buying a tube of dough from Pillsbury? lol.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 22 Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The sugar cookie recipe on the King Arthur Flour website was pretty easy and SO good... and I don't even like sugar cookies!

#3 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The recipe I use is at home (and I know I will never remember to look it up).  But....

It uses sour cream and I think that makes all the difference.  The cookies are very tender and flaky, but not crunchy.  If you google some recipes that use sour cream, I would try those.

It also helps to have all ingredients at room temperature before you mix.  And make sure you slightly undercook them.  They firm up as they cool.

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#4 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

All excellent tips! I will check out the King Arthur one.

Someone recommended the Martha Stewart recipe. Anyone tried that one?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM

I've made this martha stewart sugar cookie variation before (but not the basic one, I think - not exactly sure how/if they're different).  It did happen to be really delicious with the scraped vanilla bean and lemon zest.

Most often I make a nigella lawson cut-out cookie recipe which is a little less sweet and fluffy than other sugar cookie recipes (but comes together easily and is fun and good to decorate).  It also makes fewer cookies than many other recipes (but just the right amount to decorate all in one go, it seems - so it works out well here for those reasons).  

#6 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Here's the one I grew up with.

(Metal cookie cutters work better than the plastic ones with the extra lines within the cookie.)

Sugar Cookies

2c flour
2t baking powder
3/4c sugar
Combine in medium mixing bowl.
Whisk together.

2eggs
Break into small bowl and beat.

1/2c safflower oil
1t vanilla
Combine in large bowl.
Stir together.

Add eggs.
Stir well.

Add flour mixture, gradually, stirring with each addition.

Chill dough 2 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Roll out portions of dough on a floured surface to 1/8" thick.
Dip cookie cutters in flour and cut.
Place cookies on cookie sheet.
(Add sprinkles and press gently in place. Optional)
Bake 10-12 minutes, or until just beginning to brown on edges.

If no sprinkles were added, cooled cookies may be painted with colored "sugar paint" (made by mixing confectioner's sugar with water and food coloring (optional).
#7 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Awesome!!

Does anyone ever get those plastic cutters (the filled in ones) to work right? I wish my mom had given me her cookie cutters. They were perfect.

#8 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM

In answer to the cookie cutter question, yes! It takes a different kind of cookie dough. My mother-in-law's recipe works well
Unfortunately, we aren't speaking currently, so I can't get it for you.
#9 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anyone ever get those plastic cutters (the filled in ones) to work right?

what type do you mean?

a few examples of plastic

http://www.shopmania.com/antiques/p-unsigned-hrm-figural-donkey-clear-red-plastic-cookie-cutter-9622656

http://bakingbites.com/2009/12/message-in-a-cookie-holiday-cookie-cutters/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/107724595/christmas-tree-cookie-cutter-green

I have all three types shown in these images - here is a recent cookie of mine (same cutter used as the donkey shown above) -the others are covered with frosting-the eagle and the PA were metal cutters 700   I NEVER have the first one come out (doesn't matter the dough) the first I don't even try to get out perfect-I use it to "wet" the cutter (and DO NOT USE WATER FOR THIS!) - I always flour the cutter, press, pry out, the second one is better (and from there on) you re-flour it, this time it gets all over, tap out the excess and press again, press the imprint with your hand- and pry out with  sharp knife in the most obscure (non design section) conner is where you want to pry from (in the case of the donkey, I do the hoof first) and they do come out, from the 3rd onward I just flour after each one- using a stiff toothbrush to clean up works well 

I paint prior to baking with egg yoke that has been colored

with the sonoma cutters I find they do work but the dough has to be perfect (not too wet)- they should have a recipe posted online as well, again the first does not--flour flour and brush off excess, too much makes the cookies hard--it's a balance!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 22 Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I was referring to ones like the third link. Never get those to come out right

These are the ones my mom had and they were brilliant. Of course they are found by googling "vintage" lol.gif
http://m.pinterest.com/pin/215258057159883569/

#11 of 22 Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Even the cheapest plastic cutters work well with the right dough. I used to spend hours painting my mil's cookies. I saw her make the dough on occasion. I know she used lard, butter or veg shortening for the fat (different times she used different fat). She only used a teaspoon or less baking powder. I don't recall any eggs, either. It was a very stiff dough that baked into fairly flat cookies.
#12 of 22 Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I was referring to ones like the third link. Never get those to come out right

These are the ones my mom had and they were brilliant. Of course they are found by googling "vintage" lol.gif
http://m.pinterest.com/pin/215258057159883569/

I never had trouble with these, just cut and flour real good, I find they don't have much detail and no matter what you do they really don't show up, I dislike how think these need to be to even see an image, I like thinner less doughy cookies.

If you dough is forgiving you can pry out and smooch back the shape.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 22 Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It may not be the recipe so much as a need tor trouble-shooting.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/howtomaketheverybestsugarcookies.aspx

That said, I'm going to try some of those recipes. eat.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#14 of 22 Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Nice article!

#15 of 22 Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM

are these recipes that spread? I finally found a recipe last year that didn't spread but I didn't save the recipe. most sugar cookies recipes spread making the cookie cutter shape almost useless.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#16 of 22 Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
most sugar cookies recipes spread making the cookie cutter shape almost useless.

one things that is really important to remember is the liquid vs the dry

the size of the eggs can throw off the flour / dry amount and you are really adding to it each time you roll out- also the more you re-use the dough the tougher the cookies will be, so it is best to cut all you can with the first rolling- I use a recipe from my great-great grandmother and depending on the eggs (you add 3) you may need to add 3 to 41/2 c of flour to get it right- a test cookie is also a good idea to know how it will turn out

oven temp is also very important- never go by setting the gauge, always use an over thermometer

cookies sheets also will spread a cookie- there is a world of difference between and insulated vs a non

also un-greased vs a protector (parchments, etc) 

another thing that can spread the cookies are how the recipe is written, if you must chill it, just rolling and cutting it can throw some off and may need to be chilled on the cookies sheet prior to going into the oven

&

#17 of 22 Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM

We never had a problem with the recipe I gave spreading and becoming shapeless. They do puff and spread a bit, but are very recognizable.

Oh, but I grew up a slight elevation above sea level. I wonder if that makes a difference.
#18 of 22 Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM

mine never come out right either - thanks for the tips - I will be trying several out.

#19 of 22 Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM

For dairy free or vegan mamas!

http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2010/06/vegan-cut-out-cookies-and-dc-water/

I've made these both with the egg replacer AND with an egg. Both delicious. The second time I baked them, I used lemon extract instead of almond. Again, both ways are tasty. Also, I don't keep non-dairy milk on hand, so when making the icing I used water both times.

vegan almond sugar cut-out cookies
2 sticks vegan “butter” (earth balance vegan buttery sticks)
1 cup organic powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer mixed with 2 Tblsp water, mixed well (the equivalent of 1 egg)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp, but 1/4 is probably better)

With a handheld electric mixer or in a standing mixer with the flat beater, cream together the vegan buttery sticks and sugar. Add the egg mixture and blend. Add the extracts and blend. Mix the flour and salt and gradually blend into the wet mixture. Place dough in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate about 2 hours. Roll out on a floured surface, cut out shapes, and bake on parchment paper-lined baking trays in a 375 degree preheated oven. Let cool and decorate. Makes about 25-30 cookies (or about 15 large ones).

vegan decorating icing
2 cups powdered sugar, plus more (this should probably be sifted, though I didn’t)
3 tsp light corn syrup
5 tsp soy milk, plus more

Mix all ingredients with a wire whisk until very well blended. This icing is very forgiving. Play around with adding more powdered sugar or milk to thicken or thin, respectively, to reach the right consistency. See below for decorating tips.

Turquesa likes this.

#20 of 22 Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Wow! Cool!

I had a friend say something about paleo sugar cookies and was trying to figure out how that was possible...

#21 of 22 Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM

I use different variations of sugar cookie recipes from German cookbooks and they always work. Lazy me makes the dough the night before - that way I can melt the butter completely for easy quick mixing, and then I cool it overnight.

500g Flour

250g Sugar

pack vanilla sugar or 1 tbsp. vanilla extract

300g butter

2 eggs

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Decorate away. Yes they are sugary but hey it's Christmas. I also like to sometimes use 250g flour and 250g almond flour to give it almond taste. To glaze them I just mix lemon juice with confectioner's sugar. They also go great with white chocolate on top. And if you are into spices, adding cinnamon, allspice and other christmasy spices give them a special kick; as well as adding some lemon zest.

#22 of 22 Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

I use different variations of sugar cookie recipes from German cookbooks and they always work. Lazy me makes the dough the night before - that way I can melt the butter completely for easy quick mixing, and then I cool it overnight.

500g Flour

250g Sugar

pack vanilla sugar or 1 tbsp. vanilla extract

300g butter

2 eggs

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Decorate away. Yes they are sugary but hey it's Christmas. I also like to sometimes use 250g flour and 250g almond flour to give it almond taste. To glaze them I just mix lemon juice with confectioner's sugar. They also go great with white chocolate on top. And if you are into spices, adding cinnamon, allspice and other christmasy spices give them a special kick; as well as adding some lemon zest.

This looks like the one our family uses. When the dough gets stuck in the cheapo plastic cutters or the super-tiny ones, a good drop on the table from up-high (this can be quite fun) will usually dislodge it. But a little flour in the cutter helps too.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page